Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Rubs - Impressions?

Options

Comments

• Que_n_Brew
    Options
    I'm in the camp of "not a fan". When I first got on the forum 2 years ago, everyone was pimping DP. I took the plunge and ordered several bottles of the fan favorites. After a few cooks, they became my brine rubs. As someone stated...to each his own. Grill on!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Tsunami Spin and Raging River are our favorites. Unique taste that puts the food over the top.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    Last time I was there they were talking about building a new stand alone store (they currently share store and warehouse space) down the street that's bigger and better laid out for the classes etc. That excites me to no end.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    I've dabbled. :D
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:

Not bragging, but I attended Chris' competition school last November.  In April he contacted me and invited me to join the team to cook in the Royal in KC, which I jumped at.  What an experience!!!

Mike

@BOWHUNR That's COOL! That's not bragging at all! I bet that was an experience you will long remember, let alone that Chris asked you to assist at the Royal!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Got some pork ribs on today, 5 racks, 1 dizzy dust, 2 raging river, 2 pineapple head.  I have used all the DP rubs and most are a staple in my kitchen.  Swamp Venom, Cow Lick, Shaking the Tree and Pineapple Head are used most.
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I love the Dizzy Pig rubs as well, swamp venom, Tsunami spin on wings are my wife's favorite, raging river on fish, salmon etc, cowlick on beef, raising the steaks on steak. I do season my food rather liberally. Taste very individual not everyone likes the same things, doesn't mean it is bad it just isn't do it. There are a lot of rubs I don't care for, the sweet ones, and they are a lot of peoples favorites. Just my opinion.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    Just caught this thread. DP HQ is about a 20 minute drive, and I've been by there a few times to buy accessories, rubs, sauces, fruit wood, and charcoal. Though I haven't met Chris, I've met Joellen a couple of times and she introduced me to all sorts of great flavor combinations, and not just with DP rubs.

I love Dizzy Dust, as does my wife, and I really like the Bayou-ish and Mediterranean-ish, both of which go great with chicken and pork. I also love the Swamp Venom, but it's very spicy and peppery, and I'm the only one in my family that goes for it, so I don't get to enjoy it as much as I'd like.

Because they're a local company doing well, they are carried at our local Whole Foods, and all over the greater NoVA area. For those concerned about shipping, Amazon carries the full line (Prime helps with the shipping), and Firecraft has them at even better prices, though you'll have to drop $100 for free shipping. That means more OO lump I guess...

Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    I tried the Raging River on turkey recently. Need to give it a couple more tries. Like Cazzy, I am impressed with the Oakridge brand. Just got some in today's mail from last weeks Cyber sale. Going to try their new Dominator Rib Rub which won at Memphis in May. Next chicken cook I am going to do one with Dizzy and one with Oakridge Chicken and see what I like better.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Dizzy Dust seasonings.  Ribs & Pork Shoulder:  Dizzy Dust (low salt) + a light amount of Swamp Venom.  Steak:  Raising the Steaks.  Salmon:  Raging River.   Pineapple (e.g., for shish kabobs):  Pineapple Head.  (Really great!)   Vietnamese style chicken wings:  Add Simply Zensational to the marinade.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Swamp venom is one of my favorites. However I do like all ofor the DP rubs that I have tried. My wife loves the raging river on chicken and veggies as well as pineapple head. I have quite a few of them and use them all depending on what I am cooking and who I am cooking for. My swamp venom wings and ribs are "too hot" for some. I mix rubs quite often as well, sprinkle some dizzy dust and maybe a little swamp venom for a little hintoo of zing on the back end. I do tend to go more on the heavy side with my rubs, maybe try a little more the next time you give it a shot.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    I just stumbled across Chris (owner of DP) on FB a few nights ago and chatted for about an hour or so. Seems like a nice guy. He asked for MY address and today a nice care package showed up. Not that I needed it, but a very nice gesture. Love DP.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    IMO, it's over-priced-ish
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    It could be a couple buck less expensive but me likey. Currently have Pineapplehead, Tsunami Spin, Raging River, Redeye Express. Need some Swamp Venom and some of the -ish stuff.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Chelnerul
    Options

LOL!!
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    We love DP rubs.

Currently, I have on my spice shelf:

Dizzy Dust
    Shakin' the Tree
    Swamp Venom
    Cow Lick
    Raging River
    Curry-ish
    Fajita-ish
    Jamaican Firewalk
    Pineapple Head
    Red Eye Express

Yes, I'm a fan!

Although, I just placed an order from Oakridge BBQ based on this thread. Can't wait.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • duck_hunter
    Options
    I am a fan, when I first tried the Tsunami Spin I wasnt sure, but I can hardly eat an egg with out it now, also great on chicken, wings

I made grilled tuna sandwiches tonight and added Raging River to the tuna, which received glowing reviews

Just thinking about Pineapple Head makes me want to fire up some pineapple rings for desert and it 10:30 and raining 
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • matt121966
    Options
    Cavender's Greek seasoning is awesome - steaks, chicken, pork, salads, potatoes, cucumbers. New XL that needs a workout, I'll have to try some of the rubs mentioned above.
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    There are only a few I don't have in my pantry right now.

I also just unexpectedly received this in the mail:

Thanks everyone at Dizzy Pig!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Spatchcock Chicken - Dizzy Dust/Tsumani Spin

Wings - Swamp Venom

Burgers - Cow Lick

New Albany, Ohio 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    @dmw How did you end up with that?  I've got a few rubs in the pantry that I can only use on my own food because people in my family don't like certain rubs.  I would like to find others that they like but don't want to purchase even starter packs because they may not like it.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • DMW
    Options
    @jcaspary
    Apparently I'm a member of their Dizzyhead loyalty program.

You can purchase sampler packs of their rubs here for great prices:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    thanks to my elf, I have four that I've now tried (Dizzy Dust, Raising the Steaks, Redeye, Raging River).  so far, I like them all, I like that they don't seem to be overly salty and I find that they cover really well - better than lots of other rubs.  I agree with BGC that they seem expensive, but after using pretty liberally and seeing the coverage, I think they're good value.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Really like me some Bombay Curry on Chicken…

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've never used any of them solely based on the fact that they cost twice as much as the other rubs at my local store.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • mgillia
    Options

I'm sold.  I just ordered the 11 sampler pack from DP.  Got to give it a try to see what all the fuss is about.

Sunny side up, rubber side down!

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I make my own rubs, but having looked at the ingredients for DP, I saw that at least one of theirs had NO MSG.  For me and my wife, that would be a good thing, but as many have said, DP uses less salt and that might be what you are missing but another ingredient could be MSG.  If you are used to MSG laden food, then rubs without MSG will seem bland.  Try Lawry's Seasoning Salt.  if you like it, then Salt & MSG is what you're missing from those that seem bland.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• DMW
    Options
    Zmokin said:

I make my own rubs, but having looked at the ingredients for DP, I saw that at least one of theirs had NO MSG.  For me and my wife, that would be a good thing, but as many have said, DP uses less salt and that might be what you are missing but another ingredient could be MSG.  If you are used to MSG laden food, then rubs without MSG will seem bland.  Try Lawry's Seasoning Salt.  if you like it, then Salt & MSG is what you're missing from those that seem bland.

All of the DP rubs are MSG free. You can also get two of their rubs in a salt free variety which is usefull with meat you have brined.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

LOL, I'm not a fan of those cutesy name. It is or it is not. There is no ish. ;) But I guess if your name is Dizzy Pig, cutesy names don't bother you. 

I've tried a few DP products, though it's been a long time. Okay stuff, nothing special. 

But yeah, my biggest problem with DP is the cost. Nearly 10 bucks for 8 oz! Plus shipping. And they don't even come in glass jars! There's a small spice shop about 5 miles away where I can buy a variety of seasoning blends in 20 ounce jars for that same 10 bucks! Smaller quantities available too. Local so no shipping. They also have a huge selection of individual spices, including ancho powder, white peppercorns and smoked paprika - stuff that's hard to find in my generic grocery stores. Plenty to make me happy - at a fraction of the cost of DP. And an added plus... the only one of them I saw that had -ish in the name was their Span-ish Paprika. :)

I prefer to blend my own anyway. Lots of other places around here that have dirt cheap individual spices. An Indian market has quite a bit of stuff. For example, I just bought 7 oz of fennel seed for $2.50! Plenty of blend recipes out there too; Prudhomme's blackening magic for example, or Montreal Steak seasoning . Or, I can make it up as I go. Either way, I know exactly how much salt is in there, which is an issue for me. I use very little - often none - in my seasonings these days.

Chris has a very popular product. It's just not for me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    DMW said:
    All of the DP rubs are MSG free. You can also get two of their rubs in a salt free variety which is usefull with meat you have brined.
    That's good to know on the MSG free, but i could see using salt free even without brining.

it takes some getting used to, but once you train your tastebuds not to expect salt, you don't need it as much.  I also find, it takes a lot less salt sprinkled on the outside of food than it requires if you try and cook with it.  so if you have a want to taste salt, but need to reduce sodium, cook salt free, and sprinkle a small amount on your food on your plate.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.