Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Ozark Oak post

Options
I am just amazed how clean my firebox, fire ring, and plate setter are since switching to Ozark Oak. The below picks are from a few routine 350° cooks, not a clean burn. Anybody else experiencing the same thing?
imageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I only use OO and nothing like that. Have for a couple of years. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Yes... I had wondered why my egg was so clean. I thought I must have left the vents open after a cook. I have also been using OO lately...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    No wonder OO is the choice for @henapple‌.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    Bump. Anybody else experiencing cleaner than usual burns with OO?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    What about your dome? I get a similar effect with Rockwood on the bottom parts but my dome is still shiny black.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    What about your dome? I get a similar effect with Rockwood on the bottom parts but my dome is still shiny black.

same here. Just finished some pizzas and let it run 650 ish for an extra half hour. Peeking at the dome,it's still black, but the grease formations are gone.
  • stemc33
    Options

Dome is still shiny black. The PS has never been this clean when I used RO cooking at higher temps.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    OO is the bomb. Wish I could find it local, my fav for sure.
    Jacksonville FL
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    @theyolksonyou‌ where'd you get OO locally?
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion, I was agreeing with @Eggcelsior‌. I'm using Rockwood that I picked up in Cartersville at the Ace.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @eggcellsior. ..  I get a similar effect with Rockwood on the bottom parts but my dome is still shiny black.

I'll leave that alone. . Literally.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fence0407
    Options

Sorry for the confusion, I was agreeing with @Eggcelsior‌. I'm using Rockwood that I picked up in Cartersville at the Ace.

My fault...one too many tonight.
    Cumming, GA  

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :)) So.... @Jeremiah‌ care to weigh in on this one :-\"
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @fence0407‌, I order a 100lbs at a time from FireCraft and get free shipping. I've heard of people getting it cheaper if they can get it locally, but a $1.00 per/lb. is worth it to me.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You guys really care about this stuff huh? I just put food in... it gets cooked and tastes fine. Don't pay any attention to what color my grill parts are. But if I get it hot enough, they look "new". I've never even seen any lump except RO, WG and BGE. They all work.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fence0407
    Options
    stemc33 said:

@fence0407‌, I order a 100lbs at a time from FireCraft and get free shipping. I've heard people getting it cheaper if they can get it locally, but a $1.00 per/lb. is worth it to me.

I'm down to my last 2 bags of RO so I might give firecraft a look if I can't find it locally. Usually like to test a bag before busing a lot but the OO reception is quite large. My experience with firecraft had been wonderful with everything else so I'd expect the same.
    Cumming, GA  

• stemc33
    edited December 2014
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    @fence0407‌, I order a 100lbs at a time from FireCraft and get free shipping. I've heard people getting it cheaper if they can get it locally, but a $1.00 per/lb. is worth it to me.
    I'm down to my last 2 bags of RO so I might give firecraft a look if I can't find it locally. Usually like to test a bag before busing a lot but the OO reception is quite large. My experience with firecraft had been wonderful with everything else so I'd expect the same.

The worst thing about OO for me is that it burns so clean that I have to walk all the way out to see if it's burning during the day. Not kidding. I use a chimney to start my lump and occasionally the lump won't start with initial paper pack. Once the initial smoke from the paper clears the OO is smokeless. My usual routine is to start chimney and come in the house to prep. I use to just look out the window to check see if the lump was burning. At night I can see the flames, but during the day, nothing.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

Just came in from the fire pit. Waaay too many woodchucks. Nope. Not gonna chime in. :D
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Just came in from the fire pit. Waaay too many woodchucks. Nope. Not gonna chime in. :D

no work tomorrow, get the purses swinging.... >:)
  • fence0407
    Options
    stemc33 said:

fence0407 said:

stemc33 said:

The worst thing about OO for me is that it burns so clean that I have to walk all the way out to see if it's burning during the day. Not kidding. I use a chimney to start my lump and occasionally the lump won't start with initial paper pack. Once the initial smoke from the paper clears the OO is smokeless. My usual routine is to start chimney and come in the house to prep. I use to just look out the window to check see if the lump was burning. At night I can see the flames, but during the day, nothing.

Wow..with RO it's east to tell lol. I may go all in on some OO knowing that. Mrs. Fence isn't a fan of heavy smoke so the OO might be a good fit.
    Cumming, GA  

• stemc33
    Options
    @fence0407‌, in addition to burning clean, my experience has been very good in regards to uniformity of lump size. I had too many tiny pieces with RO. I've only used about 15 bags of OO, but all has been great. I also tried a bag of Rockwood with good results.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • fence0407
    Options
    stemc33 said:

@fence0407‌, in addition to burning clean, my experience has been very good in regards to uniformity of lump size. I had too many tiny pieces with RO. I've only used about 15 bags of OO, but all has been great. I also tried a bag of Rockwood with good results.

Yeah I know what you mean with the small RO pieces. Would be nice to have some that were more uniform.
    Cumming, GA  

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @fence0407‌ you can get Rockwood pretty much local. Not knocking OO as I have no experience. But you can at least see some better lump IMHO. Rockwood has a dealer finder on their website. Cartersville Ace for sure, but maybe closer.

edit: better than RO
  • fence0407
    Options

@fence0407‌ you can get Rockwood pretty much local. Not knocking OO as I have no experience. But you can at least see some better lump IMHO. Rockwood has a dealer finder on their website. Cartersville Ace for sure, but maybe closer.

edit: better than RO
    I will take a look thanks. RO has been good to me for the price. Now that I'm almost done with my stash, I wanna try something new.
    Cumming, GA  

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I doubt the lump is the sole reason for the cleaning.

• stemc33
    Options
    Mikee said:

I doubt the lump is the sole reason for the cleaning.

Maybe there's more to it @Mikee‌, but I don't have any other explanation. That's why I posted to see what others have experienced. It appears @johnmitchell‌ is also having similar results. @Eggcelsior‌ reports similar results with Rockwood. Maybe more will chime in.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @fence0407‌ the johns creek ace hardware had OO the last time I was there but they wanted like $15 for 10 pounds. Might be ok to buy a bag to try it out. I would get OO over Rockwood for sure but it you order from fire craft you can get some of each. The OO had better sized pieces there was alot of small pieces and dust the in the Rockwood I got.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @fence0407‌ the johns creek ace hardware had OO the last time I was there but they wanted like $15 for 10 pounds. Might be ok to buy a bag to try it out. I would get OO over Rockwood for sure but it you order from fire craft you can get some of each. The OO had better sized pieces there was alot of small pieces and dust the in the Rockwood I got.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I use OO and RW exclusively these days, just depends on the cook... Egg has never looked or smelled better... RO smells nasty IMO.