Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on Himalayan pink salt block. Scallops and zucchini.

Options
So I've been planning this cook since Saturday and told @PNWFoodie‌ I'd report out over the weekend. Well, life got in the way.

Bought the salt block last week to try. Picked up some scallops over the weekend at Costco. Tossed the scallops in melted butter and cayenne and black pepper. Set the egg up indirect and put the block on at about 150 for the ride up to 400.

Soaked the zuc in balsamic vinegar and put it on first. Then moved the zuc to the grid after a 5 minute sear and added scallops.

I didn't get the sear I was looking for on the scallops. I don't think I let the block ride long enough because it was getting kinda late. I believe if I gave it 30-60 min at temp it would have been better. Overall, the scallops varied in saltiness depending on size and position. Some were very salty and some not so much. Again with quicker sear this wouldn't be an issue. The zucchini stole the show IMO as it was just salty enough and the sour vinegar countered that. imageimage

Comments

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Looks very AAwesome !!!!

I want to get me one someday !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That looks like something I need to try. I guess I need to buy a block.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a nice looking block. Did you buy that from the sale posted last week?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    caliking said:
    That's a nice looking block. Did you buy that from the sale posted last week?

no. Unfortunately, I bought it like 3 hr before it was posted. Bought it at All Sauced Up in Pigeon Forge, TN. Really cool store with well over a hundred sauces, dips out for sample and hundreds more for sale. I paid for one what I could have gotten 2 for. Oh well, can't take it with you.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I don't have a salt block. My cabinet is getting full but I bet there's room for one of those little guys. Nice cook. I've only grilled scallops direct on a cast iron grid and also in a CI skillet.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I bought a salt block this year and love it. It does cook better when you get it real hot but you have to get it there slowly. I did a cook where it wasn't hot enough and it does make a difference. Try scallops and shrimp marinated in evoo, cumin and cayenne for an hour or more before cooking, my wife said this tastes like something you would get in a restaurant. I like to get the salt where water sizzles and disappears before I put the food on. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fine looking grub for sure. The pics look great as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have been looking out the salt blocks at my dealer for a while. They also have them to go inside turkeys and chickens. I will wait tell it gets warmer first. Good looking cook @theyolksonyou‌.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Thanks for the update. Nice looking cook!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Very nice. I have a salt block that I need to use.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • bdsdnfam
    Options

Looks like an awesome cook!  I bought a block two years ago (Amazon) of all places.  It arrived with a small chip out of a corner.  I contacted Amazon and they told me I couldn't return it because it was considered a food product.  So they just told me to keep it and credited me my money back!!

As JRWhitee commented, bring it up slow but hot!  I like mine at least 450-500 for a nice sear on the scallops.  Use the drop of water test.  If it sizzles up and evaporates it's ready!  FYI, a thin coat of Olive Oil will keep the scallops from sticking.  Also, thin sliced flank steak marinated in a little Thousand Island and then thrown on to medium rare.......Awesome!!

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @bdsdnfam‌ thanks. I did put some oil on, but maybe not enough as the zuc stuck a little. The butter on the scallops kept them from sticking. Definitely needed to get hotter and I think for that reason this will be relegated to weekend use. I just don't get home in time during the week to let it have time to get hot. Also, because of the stick, clean up was not as easy as advertised. Live and learn.

thanks to all for the kind words.
  • SGH
    Options
    @theyolksonyou‌- What's your over all impression of cooking on the salt block? Just curious my friend. It's entirely two differnt things, but I enjoy cooking certain things on unseasoned pecan splits for various reasons.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @SGH‌ it the food definitely took on a lot of salt flavor. More than I expected. I added no salt prior to cooking. The zucchini with balsamic vinegar complimented the salt very well. The scallops varied greatly depending on surface area and contact with the block.

I think if you have something to compliment the salt, it will be a very flavorful meal. If not, it's suited for a quick sear for crust and flavor. It is a big mass so it takes a long time to come to temp (12"x8"x1.5") and heavy/dense. So it's not a quick cook. Also, the manufacturer recommends coming up slow.

It should be noted that I don't use a lot of salt, I'm more of a pepper person so my idea of a lot of salt flavor may be skewed.

I'll definitely use it again. I'll incorporate the lessons learned from this cook. I also have some planks to try, but they are commercially available cedar. Hope that helps. As always, keep asking I'm happy to share.
  • SGH
    Options
    @theyolksonyou‌- That said, I like salt. A lot of salt. Especially on fish. I'm hoping that one of Yall does some fish on y'all's salt block. I'm real curious to how it turns out. Been toying with the idea of getting a salt block myself just for fish.

Status- Standing by.

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    Great looking cook. I don't have a slat block but my buddy does and I like the food that comes off of it!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    I like mine just bought  couple of weeks ago after seeing a demo. first  and second cook were a great. cooked some vegies over the holidays didn't get the block to temp. was salty due to low temp. I am enjoying it.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You figured it out.  You need it HOT (400-500F) for scallops and to sear, in general.  The trick with normal searing (and frying) is to not overload the cooking surface so you don't "cool it down" before your stuff sears.  So you can realistically only do a few scallops at a time.  Since you can't heat the thing fast, it's refractory time is LOOONNNGGG.

So sadly it's a one or two serving cooker, that is (drum roll) unless you find a clever way to heat it fast without it exploding or cracking. You might be able to put it on a cooking steel and heat that direct over the coals.  Don't mean to make you a guinea pig but if you do try to accelerate the refractory time, let us know how it's done.  Or how not to do it.
    edited December 2014
    Options

@SGH‌ it the food definitely took on a lot of salt flavor. More than I expected. I added no salt prior to cooking. The zucchini with balsamic vinegar complimented the salt very well. The scallops varied greatly depending on surface area and contact with the block.

I think if you have something to compliment the salt, it will be a very flavorful meal. If not, it's suited for a quick sear for crust and flavor. It is a big mass so it takes a long time to come to temp (12"x8"x1.5") and heavy/dense. So it's not a quick cook. Also, the manufacturer recommends coming up slow.

It should be noted that I don't use a lot of salt, I'm more of a pepper person so my idea of a lot of salt flavor may be skewed.

I'll definitely use it again. I'll incorporate the lessons learned from this cook. I also have some planks to try, but they are commercially available cedar. Hope that helps. As always, keep asking I'm happy to share.
    It will take on less salt if you get it hotter. If its not hot enough it gives a lot of salt flavor.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌ thanks. I'll definitely get it hotter next time. Just was running out of time. Need to try on the weekend.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    If your short on time, put it in your oven at 350 or if you have a gas stove you can preheat it there while you are starting your egg to get it hot faster.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

wow that's a scallop feast!  I agree with the comments above - I've gotten a good sear on scallops on the salt block, but I let it heat up for almost an hour, and only did about 6 at a time, with a lot of space in between.

Regarding cleanup, did you get it clean?  After it cools and it has a big thick layer of crud I run it under the sink and most comes off, but i'm not horribly fussy about getting it totally clean.  Let me know if you have found a good way to clean it.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @blind99‌ most of it came clean with a nylon bristle brush and warm water. The crusty stuff I used a pampered chef plastic pizza stone scraper. It took some work, but it's pretty well cleaned off.

I wonder if you could catch it warm and clean like a griddle with a damp cloth.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I hate to say it but I haven't used mine much recently.  After I got it, I did a few cooks with it - scallops, thinly sliced beef, salmon.  Last time I used it was as a weight for a spatchcock cheekin.  The meat was done but the skin was anemic, so I flipped it skin side down and put the salt block on for weight and really got the skin crisped up nicely.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    This was Christmas....will report back.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I found that the block needs to be HOT in order to get a good sear. I stick mine in the oven to preheat and then transfer it to the Egg when I'm ready to cook. I also cook with mine over direct fire. Maybe something to consider.