Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock a turkey

I plan for the first time to spatchcock my turkey, have read great things about it. My problem is timing I want the turkey to be ready about 30 minutes before eating, like eveyone else. I have a 20LB turkey. How long per LB? Low and Slow, or just direct? Thanks for any and all feedback

Comments

• 400 raised direct to 155-160 breast. Plan for 2 hrs.
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    From what others have said, when spatchcocking, 8-10 minutes/lb is a good number.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited November 2014
    @Mickey, the spatched turkey king, should be here before long  ;)

btw, shouldn't that be a spatchtom turkey? 
    :D
    canuckland
  • Maybe @Mickey will be in soon. I see a lot on indirect raised. I know the indirect part, but what is the raised part and how do you do it?
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    @spydie
    Raised refers to using some method to raise your grid to maybe the felt line or above. Many accessories are sold to accomplish this but many rig things themselves using various items. When I first learned about spatchcocking a chicken I used the raised / direct method with a temp of 400  and the chicken comes out perfect.  i have never tried a turkey this way (yet). 
    Long Island, NY
  • jHowe
    jHowe Posts: 6
    I did one last week and it wound up being roughly 8 min per pound.  I did it raised direct @ 375-400.  turkey came out wonderful and we are doing another one in the morning.  Good luck!  and Happy Thanksgiving!  Gobble Gobble.
    LBGE, DigiQ DX2 - Near Orlando, FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee.. Equal part: Brown Sugar.. ½ part: Black Pepper.. ½ part: Kosher Salt.. ½ part: Garlic Powder.. ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder.. Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thank Everyone!!

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    The information you receive the above is perfect, I can assure you of that.
    My only concern is, you mentioned your turkey is 20 pounds. What size is your Big Green Egg? You might have trouble fitting it on your egg. if its an extra large you should be ok if its a large its going to be a mighty tight fit.
    Check out the thread titled: "Any suggestions? Spatchcock turkey a little too big".
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Thanks again Mickey''''I can't wait to try it in the morning !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I will tell you that depending on the turkey profile, even with a V-rack you will be challenged to get a 20 lb spatchcocked bird on the LBGE unless parting it out.  Don't ask me know I know...(and yes it did involve SWMBO:)).  Of course lesson not learned (or SWMBO really does not like patch turkey) as I am wrestling with another 20 lb bird Thanksgiving.  I am not the turkey purchasing department.  I promise-next year it will be 17 lbs or under as they fit quite easily.  And I have eggsperience with that size.  Have a great Thanksgiving all.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    SWMBO is always right.... !!!!!!!

That's what I've learned since I started egging !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!