Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Thanksgiving dish makes your thanksgiving unique

Options
Turkey, Gravy, Dressing/Stuffing, Breads, Hams, Beefs, Dessert etc...

What makes yours special?

For me both are dressing/stuffing.. my mother's (I am 30 and have always had TG at my mom's) is a jimmy dean sausage stuffing.  This is the best will always be thanksgiving for me.  My mom always made everything mostly scratch.. we never ate jimmy dean.  But jimmy dean stuffing is what I know as thanksgiving. 

Second is my fiancee and soon to be wife's (Jan 18th) pineapple stuffing.  Its so far from the thanksgiving stuffing i grew up with but its also just as delicious.   

What are yours!?
Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Pineapple casserole.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I think I make a pretty darn good gravy.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    When home it's deep fried turkey and banana pudding. Every other year when I'm with the inlaws it's made from scratch pasta, sauce, and sausage. Homemade cheesecake and the best part, homemade wine. Yes...I married an Italian.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • UncleFred
    Options
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    We have all the traditional Thanksgiving foods
    But it's the oyster dressing that makes it special for me. We also have pans of lasagna. Being from a Sicilian family, growing up we had Lasagna at all our family get togethers.
    It wasn't until I married German/French girl that I realized the rest of the world didn't eat lasagna on Thanksgiving.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    @rtt121 I would like to hear the recipe for the pineapple stuffing. @fusionhq I would also like to have the pineapple casserole recipe. I love pineapple.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    @shtgunal3

1/2cup butter
    1 cup gran sugar
    4eggs
    1 can crushed pinapple drained 40oz
    5 slices bread cubed

Oven 350, Grease a baking pan.

Cream sugar and butter. Beat in eggs then add pineapple and bread cubes.

Bake one hour. Enjoy.

Pretty simple it looks like!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Woodford bourbon before the family arrives. :((
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    The fish sticks.  I don't like turkey.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    @Botch , Homemade fish sticks?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mom's green beans. Though she makes them fairly often, Thanksgiving would't be the same without them. Mom is 98 and has been making these for most of her life. For some reason, mine just aren't as good. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My maternal grandmother made a giblet gravy that was out of this world. She is still with us but not able to cook. My paternal grandmother made a honey ham that was better than any ham I have ever had. I'm close to replicating it but yet so far.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Potatoes and gravy, stuffing and gravy, turkey and gravy.  It's all about the gravy.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    @shtgunal3‌ I'll get it for you. Gotta put my hands on it.
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    My dads fried turkey and MY sweet potato casserole.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    bboulier said:
    Potatoes and gravy, stuffing and gravy, turkey and gravy.  It's all about the gravy.

I never stop eating on TG because I'm full.  I stop when the gravy gets cold.  
    :|

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• cajunduck
    Options
    Cushaw pie!
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Celery root salad. Tradition in my family and my wife's.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Kielbasi and honey.
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Mine is a rich, but small butter and oyster casserole that was my Father's favorite side dish. It brings back memories in so many ways!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Kielbasi and honey.
    Tell this Pollock about it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    Ruth's Chris Sweet Potato Casserole ...
    Have got to give a big thumbs up on this dish ... definitely one of my favorites.  Great choice.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    My wife makes a stuffing with ..pork sausage. water chestnuts, celery, stuffing mix, onions, mushrooms, butter, chicken stock, ..it is fantastic

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Kielbasi and honey.
    Tell this Pollock about it.

We have a place here in town that served an appetizer of hot beef sausage and honey. Very hot sausage sliced, covered in honey and heated. The heat from the sausage and sweet from the honey made a great combo. Years ago, I decided to try it with Kielbasi. It is now the favorite way to eat Kielbasi, not only for the whole family, but for any one who tries it. Start with a smoked Kielbasi (I've cured and made and smoked my own on the Egg, and we still buy from a small place in NE PA where we have buying for 50 years). Slice about 1/3 inch, and heat. I've done indirect on the Egg, but if you are in a hurry the microwave works fine (the horrors). When it s hot, pour some honey over the slices and zap to heat the honey. Put it on a big plate and serve with toothpicks. Makes a great app. At our last family reunion, 24 people, we went through 12 rings in a week.
    Options
    Mashed rutabaga.  
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Thanks TJ.  Wilma likes hers pretty much the same way, but she uses apple sauce instead of honey.
    Flint, Michigan
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    @rtt121‌ & @fusionhq‌ Thanks guys

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I think for me it's the fact that my wife and I have hosted for 15 years now, since we got back from our honeymoon...

The dishes that make it for me is my stuffing/ dressing made with bob Evans sage and sage hot sausage along with my company potatoes. The stuffing is my mom's recipe and it's awesome. My FIL likes to take the leftovers, slice it like scrapple, and fry it up the day after in some butter to have with eggs. I also think my gravy is pretty good, I use the dripping along with turkey stock I make thanksgiving day to make it.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    For us it's the baked beans. Got to have beans with salt pork and biscuits on thanksgiving. We eat that at around 11. We always split firewood on thanksgiving. Get up early, eat a big slice of pie with coffee and get to work. At 11 beans and biscuits, then turkey around 4.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Egger_Girl
    Options
    Hi everyone, Got my Egg in June and have been lurking to learn ever since but this is my first post. I have a list of several things my husband requested I make rather than have my guests bring them. My favorite is homemade Cranberry Sauce. It's probably one of the first things I ever cooked as a child. Over the years I've changed it from the very basic recipe on the cranberry bag to my own version which includes a little Grand Marnier. Looking forward to smoking my bird this year, did a practice one a couple of weeks ago. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Yep, I'm a girl and it's my XLBGE not his.