Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple-Bourbon Ham

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168

Great stuff so far - I too am looking to do this sometime soon, thanks for all those who have pitched in their two cents!

My question is : Is the raised grid pivotal? I don't have one yet, and I would just use the standard grid on top of the plate setter. Probably a drip pan underneath the grid as well. I'm assuming the flat part of the ham goes down on the grid?

Thanks again for all the help!

You don't need the raised grid. It works fine on the regular grid on the plate setter. Definitely put a drip pan on the plate setter......I use a foil lined round pizza pan. Flat part down is correct.
  • egret
    Do i have to have a raised grid? I was going to put on a ten pounder over a plate setter for five hours. Now, i think that may be too much and dont know how the grid affects things. Also, should i use a drip pan? With all that syrup, seems like a good idea.
    You don't really need the raised grid. It works fine on the regular grid. I do most of mine on the regular grid mainly because I do two or three at a time and have a "fit" problem if I try to put them all on the raised grid. Definitely use a drip pan!
  • egret
    curious as to what type of wood did you use for the ham.

I use cherry and apple wood most of the time. I've used hickory before. Pecan is also good.....
  • I used cherry wood, indirect, drip pan and it was fantasic. Everyone loved it and there were some picky eaters. Great recipe!
  • Any of you care to share your scalloped potato recipe that you used at the end? Looks delicious. Making it this Friday, can't wait!
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I went to allrecipes dot com for something with good reviews.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Thinking the way my weekend is going to go that cooking this on Saturday may be my best bet. Anyone have any experience reheating the whole ham? I'd like to serve it hot if possible and don't really want to wake up at 5:30am on Sunday to start it. I could cook Saturday, put it in the fridge, then easily get up Sunday, throw it in the oven, foil it when it's done, then head to the in-laws. 
  • egret
    Thinking the way my weekend is going to go that cooking this on Saturday may be my best bet. Anyone have any experience reheating the whole ham? I'd like to serve it hot if possible and don't really want to wake up at 5:30am on Sunday to start it. I could cook Saturday, put it in the fridge, then easily get up Sunday, throw it in the oven, foil it when it's done, then head to the in-laws. 
    You can cook it Saturday, double wrap it in foil and refrigerate (watch out for that bone protruding from the "flat" side.......it's going to need several folded-up layers of foil to insulate). Sunday, reheat it in the oven at home or wherever you're going at a fairly low temp........200-250 degrees until internal temp. is 120-140 degrees.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited December 2011

Egret I will follow your advice. Pulled off the egg last night and doubled wrapped, placed in fridge. Will warm in Dallas. It will look so much better being whole than what I worred about cutting up and taking in bags.

Thanks Sir and Marry Christmas

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bigguy136
    Going to do this again for Christmas. I went to get more cherry wood and they also had apple wood so I got a bag. Any difference in apple or cherry when doing a ham?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Smoking our Christmas ham today and curious about whether we need a glaze applied in the final hour of the cook? 
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

You don't need a glaze ... but it won't hurt!

You don't need a full hour for the glaze, especially if your pit temp is high. Half hour should be good.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • egret
    Going to do this again for Christmas. I went to get more cherry wood and they also had apple wood so I got a bag. Any difference in apple or cherry when doing a ham?
    Either one or both will give you good results. The cherry does put a nice reddish color on the ham.
  • bigguy136

Either one or both will give you good results. The cherry does put a nice reddish color on the ham.

Thanks! I will do the cherry.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• You don't need a glaze ... but it won't hurt!

You don't need a full hour for the glaze, especially if your pit temp is high. Half hour should be good.

The ham was a huge hit!!!  Thanks for the help.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Glad it worked out for you ... way to go!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • SueMB
    SueMB Posts: 1
      I have never done a ham on my new BGE.  How is it if I don't marinate it overnight?  Would like to do a ham today.
  • Martello_Penne
    Martello_Penne Posts: 42
    edited December 2013

It all went as planned...around the 4th hour I cranked the heat to put a crust on....andddd....replaced the drip pan with a tray of scalloped au gratin potatoes to cook.  The heat from the plate setter evenly cooked a crispy bottom, while the drippings, smoke and heat from up top made the scalloped potatoes a golden hammy treat.  Photos coming soon.

Amazing recipe!  Nothing left!

How high did you crank the heat? From 250 to 350 or 400? And then an additional 1.5 hours?
    LBGE, CGW Swing Rack, Baking Steel. Mini-Max on the way. 

Boston MA
  • Should I score the ham the night before before I paste ?

Thanks all
  • @egret‌ would this work on a pre-sliced ham? I was given one yesterday.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 354
    edited November 2014
    @egret‌ would this work on a pre-sliced ham? I was given one yesterday.
    No.... :(
  • I did one for christmas on a spiral cut ham... it worked ok, but as you would expect, the maple syrup ran out after injecting it... I used some toothpicks to keep it together.

In the end, it turned out well... doing it again on a non-pre cut ham for thanksgiving along with the turkey.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    @egret‌ would this work on a pre-sliced ham? I was given one yesterday.
    No, just like Steven said...OTOH I read where a guy who obviously had a lot of time on his hands painstakingly squirted - not injected - some syrup in the layers and then using a thing flat bladed knife "buttered" that syrup on each layer - PIA but it can be done!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I did one for christmas on a spiral cut ham... it worked ok, but as you would expect, the maple syrup ran out after injecting it... I used some toothpicks to keep it together.

In the end, it turned out well... doing it again on a non-pre cut ham for thanksgiving along with the turkey.
    I was speaking from experience. I went through a quart of syrup thinking the damned ham was hollow.
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    I had the same experience as @Little Steven .  In the end it was good.  I got nominated to do it again for next Easter.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • What if I skipped the injection? Anything wrong with that
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    What if I skipped the injection? Anything wrong with that
    Well - if you don't want to follow the recipe that's your call, but I will chime in with what others have said - this recipe really rocks and the injected maple syrup is the main secret!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ok. Fair enough
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • I have a ham failure....we cooked a "fresh" ham to these directions and it came out tasting like a pork roast....doesn't taste like ham at all!!!! what went wrong?  should i have bought a pre-made ham?  if so what is the point to cook a ham that has already been cooked?  #biggreenegghamfailure