Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too Much Smoke?

Options
I tried just adding some pieces from my wood pile, either oak or hickory.  Sometimes I get a "too much smoke" flavor, kind of tarry or I call it "creosote".  Is this why they say to soak the wood first?  How do I prevent this?

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited November 2014
    Options
    People would soak wood to slow down the burning process in cookers that let in too much air. Not a problem on the egg. 
    Also, there have been articles about how water doesn't penetrate too deeply in chunks. 

If you are getting a bad smoke flavor can be 1 of 3 things IMHO: 
    1) Before you added the food, was "good" smoke coming out of the top? If the smoke smells good, it will taste good. 
    2) was the fire at a higher temp, and you choked it down? That has caused a creosote flavor in my past cooks, or when I overshoot my desired temp. 
    3) what food were you cooking? Some foods absorb smoke easier than others. With ground meat, chicken, and turkey i use a lighter hand. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Most here don't soak the wood. It isn't necessary. 

You are probably putting the food on before the VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) have burned off. Heat gets rid of them, not actual burning (so all of the pieces of lump don't have to be burning). Let it burn longer after you light it. Then smell the smoke. When it smells good, you're ready to cook. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    how big of a piece from the woodpile, it doesnt take much in the egg. also is the lump burning really clean, smells like its burning clean. type of lump, cowboy has had alot of unburnt pieces in the bag lately that smell aweful if you dont pick them out or maybe you have a lump brand that you just dont like
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Scout706
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I have been using a blower/controller, and the instructions say to start with a small amount of burning coals and let the egg go up to temperature  "easier to ramp up than to choke down" or something.  I guess I need to allow more time to stabilize.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    No need to soak the wood.
    I've noticed that sometimes unwanted smokey flavors are the result of using lump from a previous direct method cook. If you do a direct cook where the food drips on the charcoal and then you relight that same lump on your next cook, it could cause a problem with unwanted smoke flavor.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    Scout706 said:
    Thanks for the replies, I have been using a blower/controller, and the instructions say to start with a small amount of burning coals and let the egg go up to temperature  "easier to ramp up than to choke down" or something.  I guess I need to allow more time to stabilize.
    dont go by time, go by smell, time doesnt always work out
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Cook by temp not time, start to cook by smell not time. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Think of smoke as a spice. Adding the 'right' amount enhances the flavor of the food. Not enough leaves the food a little lacking, but still edible. Too much ruins the dish. The 'right' amount is a personal preference.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Mesquite lump charcoal can be quite offensive-IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Scout706
    Options
    dont go by time, go by smell, time doesnt always work out

Derp.  May seem obvious, but I needed to hear this.  Patience is a virtue, good smoke cannot be rushed.