Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Do You Carry a Knife?

Comments

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    My current 1911's
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • I don't have a photo of my Dad's, but I'll take one and post it in a few minutes.

Flint, Michigan
  • Brother Hibby:  I'll have to beg your indulgence, but for reasons I can't get into, I'm unable to post a picture of the 1911 this evening..  I will post a pic on this thread tomorrow.  Sorry.

Flint, Michigan
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    No begging necessary. Post or no post, I'll like you just the same.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Spyderco in the pocket, pics of what is on the bag.  And yes, I have had jerks make comments about my purse; they don't know what is in it, why I carry it, or who they are dealing with.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• hapster said:
    Here are my daily blades... image
    I have that exact same little Gerber fixed blad from another job a long time ago.  Speaking of Gerber, I should open the safe and claim I haul that BMF around.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2014
    Here's my knife. I've been looking all over for it after I saw this thread. I finally found it and I think I'll start to carry it.
    It's old I don't know anything about it. It says Bear MGC USA. image
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2014
    Many reasons to EDC a blade.  Cutting seatbelts, clothing when the SHTF, self-defense, daily tasks.  I never leave home without one, even with the 45 on board.  

RIght now I am stuck on the Kershaw Leek that Ron posted.  Even bought a rainbow Leek for one of my lady friends who travels solo frequently.  Had her intitials etched on it.  

If anyone is interested, this is a GREAT deal on a classic Kershaw design, the Skyline.  I've ordered two.  Jokers are selling these on CL in my area for $100 each.  Easily worth that.  A nice sized blade, easy to maintain.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Focker said:
    Many reasons to EDC a blade.  Cutting seatbelts, clothing when the SHTF, self-defense, daily tasks.  I never leave home without one.  

RIght now I am stuck on the Kershaw Leek that Ron posted.  Even bought a rainbow Leek for one of my lady friends who travels solo frequently.  Had her intitials etched on it.  

If anyone is interested, this is a GREAT deal on a classic Kershaw design, the Skyline.  I've ordered two.  Jokers are selling these on CL in my area for $100 each.  Easily worth that.  A nice sized blade, easy to maintain.  

Brandon - years ago you were the one who put me on the trail to my first Kershaw. The other night I posted this picture, but maybe it was too dark for some people to see on their monitor...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    edited November 2014
    Here's clearer picture...
  • Focker
    edited November 2014
    Very nice Ron, wish my blade was black, or better yet, damascus. ;)

Mason is 7, he carries a larger Swiss Army knife with all the bells and whistles.  Fixed the screen door on my camper with it on our last trip.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Focker said:
    Cutting seatbelts, clothing when the SHTF...
    Brandon, that's the only good reason I've heard. Maybe I'll throw my $10 Swiss Army in my center console. If I can find it. But the only things I ever carry on my person are my wallet and my phone.

I have a Kershaw around here somewhere. It was my aunt's knife. No Idea why an 80something year old had a locking blade pocket knife. Anyway, it will NOT hold an edge.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited November 2014
    Was it used hard?  The newer ones hold an edge great.  Might be worth taking it to a pro to put a new edge on it and go from there.  Hell, you could call them and tell them about your troubles.  Almost guarantee they would put an edge on it for free, if you ship it to them.  If they can't get it sharp, they would replace it. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @focker cutting clothing? That's what Trauma shears are for. You'd get fired on the spot if you're caught doing that at my hospital :))
  • Focker
    @CarolinaQ,

Found a Kershaw Leek on Amazon for Black Friday a few years ago, $28 Lightning Deal.  Worth every single penny.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker said:
    Cutting seatbelts, clothing when the SHTF...
    Brandon, that's the only good reason I've heard. Maybe I'll throw my $10 Swiss Army in my center console. If I can find it. But the only things I ever carry on my person are my wallet and my phone.

I have a Kershaw around here somewhere. It was my aunt's knife. No Idea why an 80something year old had a locking blade pocket knife. Anyway, it will NOT hold an edge.
    LOL, this hangs in a sheath under the driver seat of my Ram.  I don't need something to break the glass if I go into the water, I have a hatchet.   http://www.walmart.com/ip/16794894?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=10&adid=22222222227009493022&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40471490552&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78362585792&veh=sem

• Eggcelsior
    Fred, I have a Swiss Army knife that I use for menial tasks every once in a while. I don't see the point of EDC as it has no place in my typical day. I take it camping/hiking and to ski patrol, but that's about it.
  • Focker
    edited November 2014
    @focker cutting clothing? That's what Trauma shears are for. You'd get fired on the spot if you're caught doing that at my hospital :))
    @Eggcelsior,
    LOL.  This is the QC bro. ;)

Naw, I've got shears in my bag of tricks.  The knife is for whatever I roll up on, off the clock.  With the crappy winter weather, rollovers happen.  And response time by Medic and volunteers out in BFE on a country highway is not speedy.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    @Doc_Eggerton‌ I have one of those "car rescue tools" that can break glass or cut seat belts, if necessary.
  • Eggcelsior
    @focker no doubt. Since I do ski patrol, my rescue pack stays in the car all winter. I have almost everything an EMT will have besides O2 and IV kits.
  • @Doc_Eggerton‌ I have one of those "car rescue tools" that can break glass or cut seat belts, if necessary.
    I always figured if all else fails a 9mm would break a window.  Hard to cut cheese for a snack with it though.

• RRP
    @Doc_Eggerton‌ I have one of those "car rescue tools" that can break glass or cut seat belts, if necessary.
    and as the standard joke goes..."I bet you have it safely stored in a duffle bag in your trunk"...right?
  • Eggcelsior
    RRP said:

and as the standard joke goes..."I bet you have it safely stored in a duffle bag in your trunk"...right?

@RRP, nah, it's next to me in the center console. Battery jump kit/air compressor is in the trunk, plus, it's a hatchback so I can easily climb over the seats.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @RRP, nah, it's next to me in the center console. Battery jump kit/air compressor is in the trunk, plus, it's a hatchback so I can easily climb over the seats.
    Dude, I've seen you. I'm surprised you fit in the hatchback :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited November 2014
    Repost below to fix pics.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I don't EDC, too many flights for work. Have a little mini Swiss army knife on a keychain I use around the house. When I did EDC back in high school it was a small plastic single blade folding on my keychain. I worked in an egg processing plant (the white ones, not the green ones) and used it every day to cut open bales of egg cases, etc.

I was just cleaning out my desk drawer and found this.

Looks innocent enough...

Until you pull it apart:
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    pocket knives are nice and ive always carried one but have always prefered and carried a sheath style knife, either folding or fixed. buck 505, buck akonua, boker damascus, swiss champ. one of those is usally with me, the champ is what i carry most now as the laws up around boston are insane, noone seems to question the swiss knife
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776

The Leatherman Skeletool rocks!!  I use it every day for one thing or another.  Even the carabiner clip doubles as a bottle opener.  Well designed, lightweight and functional. 

I have a bunch of other Leatherman products - the Juice stays in the airplane - can't count the number of times we needed the corkscrew on camping trips...  The Charge TTi is part of my survival gear.

imageimage
    Santa Paula, CA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    And another vote for the skeletool. As a desk jockey it more than fills my McGyver needs.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!