Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - BlackStone (pizza lovers must click)

Options
1235»

Comments

• jimreed777
    Options
    ready in 10 minutes. you can watch it cook and inspect bottom without losing heat. no worry about burning off vocs, getting smoky flavored pizza. I can keep some homemade cold-rise sourdoughs in the fridge and we can be eating pizza within an hour of wanting pizza. The only reason it takes that long is I like the dough to get closer to room temp before I start working it.

after cooking pizza a TON on the egg...this is truly a joy to use.

For the life of me, I can think of a downside. Got the Lowes sale and it was cheap for what it is.

couple hints. remember to turn the motor off before loading and unloading the pies. makes it much easier. but EQUALLY important, remember to turn the motor back on before heading into the house to prepare another pie. I ended up having to wait about 5 minutes last night because I left the motor off and was inside for about 7 minutes and I got a 750 degree spot and the rest was 450.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Awesome . . just traded in some chase credit card points for a $200 lowes gift card.  It should arrive next week so hoping to post my first Black Stone Pie right after thanksgiving.  

Now I gotta find a kind soul who can ship me their sourdough starter! anyone? anyone? anyone?

I tried to get my Favorite local pizza shop (called Harvest Pizza in German Village) to help me out but they said the "developed it specifically for their ovens" and wont budge for any price.  They cook at 800F, so it would have been perfect!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @NDG - congrats on the new toy, I would check the pizza place's dumpster/trash every so often for scraps  :D
    canuckland
  • jimreed777
    Options
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/classic-fresh-sourdough-starter-1-oz

had mine for a couple years now. I sometimes take a bit out of the main container and feed it and leave it uncovered to get some local flavor to it. We like it.

I may go ahead and re-order another starter from King arthur and do a comparison bread test. That stuff was MONEY right away.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    jimreed777 . . . interesting!  I heard mix reviews about buying a starter online, but that one is not dry and looks somewhat easy .  . . . hmmmm.  I am hoping to get one specifically for pizza, but not sure if that makes any sense?  I guess I should spend a little more time over on the pizzamaking forum too.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Very interesting thread. As always, I am amazed how you folks find ways to spend my money. Now I am gonna crave a blackstone oven. :))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Breadropia sells a good starter also. Comes in a little ball, you break it up add to it and presto.
    Seattle, WA
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Also sourdough.com is another good starter.
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    Lowes does not show the Blackstone anymore on their webpage!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • waegger
    Options
    lowes has 5 new versions of the blackstone at there smokey point, wa store for $269.00.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    In case anyone is still wondering if they should buy one. Tonight I cracked the doors of my garage and cooked inside.

I basically went fridge diving to find toppings, but this ended up really tasty.

Sauce: crushed tomatoes + tomato paste
    Toppings: fresh mozz + fresh mushroom slices
    Seasoning: pinch of salt + Dizzy Pig Mediterranean-ish + oregano

I need to figure where to put the oven tomorrow. I need the garage space to park our vehicles as we have snow headed our way on Wednesday. It may end up in our living room... :-/
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Nice pie!
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @DMW

I think the mods want this thread to go away... it doesn't get bumped anymore
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Canugghead
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Nice pie @DMW. Love this thread, glad I got it bookmarked. Hey @rtt121, you can start a new thread to link to this though  :D ... don't worry about getting banned, @SGH will bailed you out  ;)
    canuckland
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks @rtt121 and @Canugghead

Looks like the mods "sank" this thread. A nice little feature on Vanilla where it isn't deleted, but doesn't bump anymore.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I picked one up in Grand Forks coming back from Minneapolis last week. Finally got around to putting it together. UH OH. I was missing all the "small parts" propane shelf had slight bend, dome front had a slight bend, front stainless was slightly bent in, main housing by the opening was bent in on both sides. Emailed Blackstone and they are sending all parts that need replacing, that is like almost a whole new rig. then I told them I am from Canada and they don't ship internationally. I asked them to ship it stateside but close tot he border and my parcel pick up spot. I am still waiting for a reply on that but I don't really see a problem as it is still shipping in the US. Its just a 1.5 hour  trip for me for warranty parts to the border. Better than running all the way back to Grand forks which is a 6 hour round trip. Plus I took the last one.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I've got the complete base(handle was stripped) and deflector ring that holds the top stone(poor welds).  Even got a bonus ID badge out of the deal.

Maybe we could make a Frankenstone. lol

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Well I received an email yesterday letting me know that all the parts that were missing or damaged are in the process of being shipped, albeit, to the US side of the border. Road trip anyone?
  • Canugghead
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • DMW
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sorry for this post. I just needed one that wasn't going to bump to embed an image in.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    Well, it appears the mods will quickly sink any post about the Blackstone pizza oven...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA