Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold and wet Gumbo day

It's been a cold Louisiana day 40 degrees! The wife and kids have been wanting gumbo so today I spent my day building it. Poulet, sausage, shrimp, and Tasso. Only smoked the bird on the Egg though.
Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana

Comments

• Love gumbo. Would love to see a recipe for authentic gumbo from our Louisiana contingent.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    cajunduck,

What kind of sausage do you use? I've been using "DD" sausage for the longest time but am interested in trying something new. 
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2014
    @cajunduck There is nothing like a good gumbo to make you forget about the weather and the LSU game and now the Saints. Yikes!. 
    Man your gumbo looks good. Your roux looks perfect. 
    You must have eaten it before you took a picture of it finished?

@theyolksonyou you said: " Would love to see a recipe for authentic gumbo from our Louisiana contingent."
    In my house we make three different kinds of gumbo. Seafood Gumbo my favorite, File' Gumbo and Chicken Andouille Gumbo.

Here's a chicken gumbo right out of my family cookbook. 
    (you probably can't get andouille sausage so just substitute hot smoked sausage)

Roux: 1 cup flour, 3/4 cup vegetable oil
    5 qts. chicken stock
    10-12 chicken breasts (rinsed and dried)< salted and peppered
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    2 bunches green onions, chopped
    4 ribs celery finely chopped
    6-8 cloves of garlic
    1.5 lbs andouille  sausage ( sub hot sausage )
    2 lg onions chopped
    2 bay leaves
    2 lbs, okra, browned and drained
    1 lb ham diced small
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (note** Do not add Salt and pepper until cooked / add only if needed after taste**)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In 1 cup vegetable oil, in large heavy black frying pan on high heat, brown chicken quickly on both sides and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
    In large stock pot, add 3/4 cup oil from frying pan to 1 cup flour and make a medium Roux.
    Saute' vegetables in roux until limp. Add hot chicken stock to roux mixture. Add okra.
    Cook about 20 minutes. 
    Add chicken breast, sausage and ham, Cook about 40 minutes until chicken is tender.
    Serve over hot rice.

* like to add several dashes of Crystal Hot Sauce. to taste. Tabasco sauce is just way too hot imo. Crystal hot sauce is much better. 
    ______________________________________________________________________________

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Thanks Tony! Bookmarked. I can get andouiolle, but prepackaged and surely not as good as you guys have.
  • nolan8v said:

cajunduck,

What kind of sausage do you use? I've been using "DD" sausage for the longest time but am interested in trying something new. 
    Always have used andouille, but this time used Conecuh and Tasso. Just tried to change it up some.
  • Love gumbo. Would love to see a recipe for authentic gumbo from our Louisiana contingent.

Changed my recipe up some this year, but I can help you.
    1 cup flour, 1 cup oil (I used coconut oil this time). 2 whole chickens, 1 pack Tasso, 2 packs Conecuh sausage, 1 whole bunch celery, 1 one yellow onion, 2 bell peppers (For the Trinity). 2 pounds fresh Gulf brown or white shrimp. 6 eggs. Build your roux dark brown like chocolate. Usually takes a 6 pack to get through it. Do your normal gumbo build, and dump the eggs in last And they will poach in the gumbo. Season to your taste, but I always make Filé gumbo.
  • TigerTony said:

@cajunduck There is nothing like a good gumbo to make you forget about the weather and the LSU game and now the Saints. Yikes!. 

Man your gumbo looks good. Your roux looks perfect. 
    You must have eaten it before you took a picture of it finished?

@theyolksonyou you said: " Would love to see a recipe for authentic gumbo from our Louisiana contingent."
    In my house we make three different kinds of gumbo. Seafood Gumbo my favorite, File' Gumbo and Chicken Andouille Gumbo.

Here's a chicken gumbo right out of my family cookbook. 
    (you probably can't get andouille sausage so just substitute hot smoked sausage)

Roux: 1 cup flour, 3/4 cup vegetable oil
    5 qts. chicken stock
    10-12 chicken breasts (rinsed and dried)< salted and peppered
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    2 bunches green onions, chopped
    4 ribs celery finely chopped
    6-8 cloves of garlic
    1.5 lbs andouille  sausage ( sub hot sausage )
    2 lg onions chopped
    2 bay leaves
    2 lbs, okra, browned and drained
    1 lb ham diced small
    (note** Do not add Salt and pepper until cooked / add only if needed after taste**)
    In 1 cup vegetable oil, in large heavy black frying pan on high heat, brown chicken quickly on both sides and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
    In large stock pot, add 3/4 cup oil from frying pan to 1 cup flour and make a medium Roux.
    Saute' vegetables in roux until limp. Add hot chicken stock to roux mixture. Add okra.
    Cook about 20 minutes. 
    Add chicken breast, sausage and ham, Cook about 40 minutes until chicken is tender.
    Serve over hot rice.

* like to add several dashes of Crystal Hot Sauce. to taste. Tabasco sauce is just way too hot imo. Crystal hot sauce is much better. 
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Sounds great! I changed mine up a little since my wife and I are Paleo Crossfit freaks!
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Savoie's down home sausage....mmmmmm.  Their green onion sausage is on point!
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    That looks and the ingredients sound delicious, we don't get much in the way of gumbo here in Cal, must bookmark this, thank you.
    :)>-
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    @TigerTony
    Thanks for sharing the recipe, one question, when do you cut up the chicken and sausage after everything is cooked and prior to serving?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee said:
    @TigerTony
    Thanks for sharing the recipe, one question, when do you cut up the chicken and sausage after everything is cooked and prior to serving?

I smoked the chicken on the Egg and when it was finished I made a stock with it. Then took the chicken out of the stock and let it cool and pulled the meat off to add later. The sausage I added after the vegetables were halfway cooked with the roux. Then I added the roux with the vegetables, sausage, and chicken back to my stock. It slow simmered for about 2 hours after that.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    @JRWhitee‌ I know for certain my mom used to cut the sausage before adding. I'm not sure with the chicken. The chicken pieces were not bite size. She left them large. So tender you could use the spoon to cut them.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Yes I cut the sausage up before adding it to the roux, and the chicken is all different sizes because it's pulled. Usually make duck gumbo, but ran out.
  • barely 9:00 and I'm wishing I had some gumbo. you guys are killing me!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    TigerTony said:
    @JRWhitee‌ I know for certain my mom used to cut the sausage before adding. I'm not sure with the chicken. The chicken pieces were not bite size. She left them large. So tender you could use the spoon to cut them.
    That makes sense, thanks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Awesome . . I was planning on making the "CREOLE-STYLE SHRIMP AND SAUSAGE GUMBO" later this week from COOKS ILLUSTRATED . . . but I might try yours now. 

The last time I tried a New Orleans dish (new orleans BBQ Shrimp) from the egg forum I was amazed - so good! I just love the authenticity I get here from the Louisiana crew!   
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Gumbo is one of my favorites. I make a huge batch of shrimp and sausage and freeze in serving portions. For those outside of andouille-land, you can get very good andouille at Whole Foods. I've also learned how to make roux in the microwave; quick and easy. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jlsm:  Would you mind sharing how you make roux in the microwave?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Damn that look's good! Nice job. Is my package on the way?

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    edited November 2014
    @EggObsessed: mix 2/3 cup oil and 2/3 cup flour in a quart measuring cup. Microwave on high for six minutes. Stir. Microwave at 1 1/2 minute intervals until desired color. With mine, it's done in 8 minutes or so, but each microwave is different. The roux might be darker at the bottom and it continues cooking so be careful not to burn. 

Give it a good whisk and pour on top of your vegetables in a Dutch oven. 

Couldn't be easier. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia