Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Do You Carry a Knife?

Options

Comments

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Gerber LST for me. I've had it since I was in the Boy Scouts. Got it as a Christmas present from Mom and Dad in '85
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    1st pic - My first knife was my Swiss Army knife I got from my Dad for Christmas when I was 9 or 10 years old. The Kershaw my Dad bought me when we took a trip out to the Black Hills South Dakota when I was 14. They don't see much use. Since I've had them this long I figure I better not lose them at this point.

2nd pic - A few random knives my Grandpa must have picked up on the farm.

3rd pic - A good friend of ours passed 5-6 years ago and he use to own a bodyshop here in town. His wife game me the knife as a remembrance of him.

My Dad gives me crap and says I need to use them since they don't do any good sitting in a cabinet. Too much sentimental value I guess. I will be watching this thread for a everyday pocket knife.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    My edcs for the last 20 years or so have been a pair of Benchmades or a Gerber Guardian... Usually just one at a time though
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    I carry a Leatherman, I'd feel lost without it. Use it multiple times a day.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    TFols said:
    I carry a Leatherman, I'd feel lost without it. Use it multiple times a day.
    Dittos on that.  Yesterday used the screwdriver function, pliers, wire snips, and blade.  Rare that I don't pull out my Leatherman on a daily basis.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    Fred when I come to Flint my carry knife is a Glock .

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    SOG Flash II Aluminum handle Black blade, serrated.  Top one.  Had the bottom one and lost it.  Been carrying those for about 10 years.  (snagged pic from interwebs).

They have them in aluminum now instead of just zytel?

Time for an upgrade!
    Gittin' there...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never understood why anyone would want to carry a knife around. I can't remember ever wishing I had one in my pocket. What do you USE them for? 

And the fact that there's actually a term for it (edc) just makes me scratch my head. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @FearlessTheEggNoob‌

How do you like SOG? I've watched 6-7 different review videos of SOG knives and the SOG PowerDuo has really caught my eye. I really like the idea of a smaller multi-tool that fits in my pocket comfortably. Just wondering your thoughts on SOG quality?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I would like to carry something more substantial than the Swiss Army tidbit knife pictured up top, BUT being a guvmint type worker bee means I work in a sitting duck, er...weapons free zone. I'm surprised I'm allowed to carry the tidbit. If I go to the courthouse, I leave it in my desk due to the metal detectors and the deputies stationed there.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Never understood why anyone would want to carry a knife around. I can't remember ever wishing I had one in my pocket. What do you USE them for? 

And the fact that there's actually a term for it (edc) just makes me scratch my head. 

They come in quite handy for many tasks. Along with my Glock and extra magazine it only leaves my person if Im sleeping.
    Jacksonville FL
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I wouldn't be doing my job without a very sharp and very durable folding blade.image

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Kershaw Skyline. EDC
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • travisstrick
    Options

Don't you open bags of lump?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Hi54putty said:

Kershaw Skyline. EDC

I have 3. In one of my pics up too you can see my limited edition skyline with blue scales and s30v blade steel.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited November 2014
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    @FearlessTheEggNoob‌ How do you like SOG? I've watched 6-7 different review videos of SOG knives and the SOG PowerDuo has really caught my eye. I really like the idea of a smaller multi-tool that fits in my pocket comfortably. Just wondering your thoughts on SOG quality?
    It's a good defensive knife for the money except for the zytel handle IMO. This billet aluminum version would be my preference.

Edit: I noticed that there are a bunch of SOG Rescue versions (arguably a wee bit on the short side) on ebay right now that look like a steal for the price. Wonder what's up with that?
    Gittin' there...
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I use to carry a small two blade pocket knife just for opening stuff etc.  I lost that knife after almost 10 years and then was given a Swiss Army type knife but I found it heavy and bulky in the pocket and found while I was knifeless that I could do most everything I used the knife for with a key so I no longer carry a knife on a regular basis.

I also own a leatherman and it is in the tankbag of my motorcycle but most times that I could have used it I forgot that I had it.

Gerhard
  • Carolina Q
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Dobie said: Carolina Q said: Never understood why anyone would want to carry a knife around. I can't remember ever wishing I had one in my pocket. What do you USE them for? 
    They come in quite handy for many tasks. Along with my Glock and extra magazine it only leaves my person if Im sleeping.

Carolina Q said... If you say so. I have a couple of pocket knives around here... somewhere. On the rare occasion I do need one, I look around until I find it. I can understand
    collecting knives. People collect all sorts of things. It's carrying one around that I don't get. My dad used to carry a knife. Rarely saw him use it.

And as for a Glock, I have never even SEEN a Glock, or any other handgun for that matter, except in a glass display case in a store. They all look alike. Never held one and I don't know anyone who owns one. A handgun would be even less useful to me than a knife! I REALLY don't know what I would do with one of those!!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

Don't you open bags of lump?
    Sure, 'bout once a month. I keep a razor blade right next to the lump. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I use mine to cut rectal tubes, gastrojejunal tubes, cut syringe tips, and open vials among other things.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CTSmoker
    CTSmoker Posts: 19
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have carried a knife since I was 6 years old (67 years), we used to carry them in school and never would have dreamed of hurting someone with it.  I would be lost if I did not have a knife, a wrist watch and my wallet.  Just part of getting dressed in the morning.  I guess you could include a comb and a damn cellphone now, too.  Lately, I have been a fan of BenchMade, although I do switch off fairly regularly.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    Here is my everyday cary right now.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Kershaw speedsafe Ken onion design. Love it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I carry this when I'm feeling cheeky lol..

Spyderco Citizen

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Good golly that looks bad!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

Hi54putty said:

Kershaw Skyline. EDC

I have 3. In one of my pics up too you can see my limited edition skyline with blue scales and s30v blade steel.
    I noticed that. Very cool.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I'm kind of a knife collector myself but I use them all. These are what I could round up laying around the house. I also collect 1911's, flashlights, rifles, other guns, coins, etc. pocket knives are what I carry when I can't carry a concealed firearm.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Hibby said:
    I'm kind of a knife collector myself but I use them all. These are what I could round up laying around the house. I also collect 1911's, flashlights, rifles, other guns, coins, etc. pocket knives are what I carry when I can't carry a concealed firearm.
    I have a Colt 1911 that's green.  It used to belong to my Dad, but after I found out about his Alzheimer's diagnosis, I grabbed it because those patients can be violent.  Never happened (Thank God), but after my Dad was in a home, my brother and my Mom both asked me for the pistol so they can do the right thing and turn it into the cops.  I laughed at both of them!
    Flint, Michigan