Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Adding Lump During a Cook

Options

Made mistake of buying a couple of bags of RO, Cheap, yes; quality, not really.(but not looking to start yet another thread on RO) Anyway, I needed to add more lump to finish off a 375 degree cook. I'm wondering if anyone has a solution when needing to add lump during a cook? I had to open grill lid, remove hot cook grid and plate setter to  make room to add more RO lump. Before lighting lump I added a bit more lump then I thought I would need to finish cook (thought maybe I would do a burn off if I had the time).

For what it is worth, I have been egging for several years , and have most things figured out thanks to this site and it helpful members. FYI, I also had cleaned out the Egg ashes, removed firebox and had cleaned the entire egg prior to the cook. I assumed I may have had damp lump, but I doubt that due to storing lump in a sealed plastic bin. Any suggestions???

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I have started with the left over charcoal a bit damp, but it seemed to dry out pretty quick with the heat from the new charcoal burning.

There was a time early on, before I started filling the firebox all the way full that I had to add charcoal.   No good way I found to do it except for unloading everything.

With the right charcoal, and a full quantity, you should be able to run as long as needed.   That may not help if you are in a "current" need charcoal situation.

Cookin in Texas
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Maybe you just needed to fill the fire bowl up more to begin with? Can't imagine the lump would be wet if it's stored in a bin. FWIW I use RO all the time and have never had an issue with it. I've done 14 hour brisket and boston butt cooks with lump to spare. Also regularly do cooks from 350-650 with no issues, as long as I have enough to begin with.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I agree with @fence0407‌ . I had to reload on many slow & low until I filled the large egg up pass the firebox and half way up the fire ring. With the plate setter in, the charcoal would be inches from the bottom of the plate setter.

As for the reload, I wear a set of green egg gloves AND use a thick dry towel. I planned where to place the hot grate and plate setter before even opening the egg. For me, my setup is near a set of stairs where I only have to take one side step after 'the lift'. The plate setter gets hot really fast so move quickly once you have a good grip on it.

Good luck and be careful.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't know what to tell you. Maybe you just didn't use enough to begin with? For the last 3-4 years, all I have used is RO. Cheap, easy to find, works fine for me. Don't recall ever running out of lump except when I was messing around with a 900° pizza cook once. By the time I got there, I was out of lump. But at 900°, a pie doesn't take long so it didn't matter.

If I was running out in the middle of "normal" cook, I would just move to the kitchen and finish there. By that time, you're probably mostly done anyway. No messing with hot parts or finding a safe place to put them (away from dogs, kids, your hands). No messy, greasy stuff to clean up later either. And no VOCs from new lump.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I ran out of lump during a long low and slow a year or two ago.  I had to remove the PS, grid and food before I reloaded the EGG.  I used some bricks to sit the hot stuff on.  I tented the Pork butt with aluminum foil while the new lump burned off the VOC's and was back on my way.  Now I load the fire box higher and don't have any issues.      
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options

Recap:

Removed grate, firebox & fire ring, cleaned out vent holes and all ashes in cleanout area.

Reassembled Egg, filled more then 1/2 way with RO and started fire.

Temp to 375 and once stabilized, put food on to cook. Expected I only needed 45 minutes of cook time for what I was grilling.

It has only happened a few times that I can remember, but pretty sure each time I had used RO. (Again, not trying to start a RO discussion). Anyway, I was thinking maybe a long curved piece of metal to act as a slide for lump to go in with PSL in place. But would still have VOC issue with new lump. Oh well, something to contemplate over a few beer.

Thanks for input.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @GASGUY....gasguy???  you're supposed to be using lump, not gas !!!!!!!

Maybe I missed it, but what size egg ??

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• GASGUY
    Options
    Funny.........it's a large
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Maybe take a picture of the inside of your fire box to show how much lump you put in?
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    For a long time after I first started, I filled the lump up to the PS. I guess I misunderstood. I'm still not convinced that this is a problem with negative affects, but I now only fill to the top of the firebox, not to the top of the fire ring/bottom of PS.

I always have lump leftover after any cook. Have never run out during a cook.

I leave my Rockwood in my garage in the bag. No temperature/humidity control, and have never had a problem, or noticed any burning differences during changes in weather. 

You might and search 'lump level' , I think that was the name of a thread we used on that discussion before.

Just tryin to help,

DD

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    GASGUY said:

...filled more then 1/2 way with RO 

Halfway where? Halfway up the firebox? If so, there's your problem.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    GASGUY said:

...filled more then 1/2 way with RO 

Halfway where? Halfway up the firebox? If so, there's your problem.
    I fill to the top of the fire ring, jam the setter in if need be once it is going. At 375 - you should be good for hours, at least 5 or 6. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GASGUY
    Options

I filled RO lump to almost the top of the fire ring, which for a 45 - 60 min cook has always been enough lump with plenty left over. The only thing I did differently was use the RO lump. Odd thing was the fire seemed to be blazing, and I had burned up the bulk of lump I had originally put in Egg. I also had recalibrated my Egg thermometer about a month ago, plus chicken would have been burned if the fire was burning at a much higher temp. I guess the only thing out of the ordinary was the RO. Maybe I just got a few bags that was not up to par.

Realize this is not life or death, but was wondering if it happens to others, if they came up with a solution to add more lump during a cook without having to remove everything to get access to refill lump. Thanks for all the feedback.