Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick 732 Meat Probe Prob

Options
Just started my second piece of Butt and when I set up the probes grid probe is working fine, but food probe is registering 153 sitting out in the cold.  Tried restarting both units a couple of times and reinserting the plugs into the units.  

The destructions just say if you get false readings send the probe back and you'll get a new one if it's within the 90 day warranty.  It's only the second time I've used it.  First time was flawless.

Anybody else had this problem?  Gee, it's now dropped to 144 and it's 54 outside.

Well, there's been millions of pieces of butt done without high tech, so I guess I can too or not eat. 

:D:D
LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Or stick the grid probe in the meat and trust the dome temp?
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    That's another way to do it, I'll see what happens.  I have a digital thermo too.  Need to get a Thermopen!!

Thanks
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    The only time I've had maverick probes fail is after washing, and water getting in the ends. The Mrs has unintentionally killed more probes trying to help. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Don't tell me this. I just bought one. Jeez.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • logchief
    Options
    Well I tried what @theyolksonyou suggested and it's working well so far with the grid probe in the meat.  I'm going to double check with the digital, because I think it's running a little high.  it's showing 117 after 2 hrs at 250.

I'm tried getting a hold of Maverick a liittle while ago, but customer service was in a meeting and supposed to call back in 30 min or so.
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Bought a 733 and both probes died after 1month. Email them they normally respond quickly.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    I have had grid probes die after warranty.  Bought another.  Worked great a long time, but now gives flakey reading that jump up and down 50 degrees.  I put a cheap oven thermo on the grid to double check and the maverick was close at the lower reading so I just watch that.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    My 732 probes read wrong, not the dreaded LLL or HHH just some really stupid temp. I took the batteries out, put everything back together and voila, everything was fine. Been working fine ever since. 733 has been flawless. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Have never had any problem with my 732. Being used at least weekly for almost a year.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

I never had a problem with a Maverick.....it's because I don't own one >:)

I'll trust my Thermapen and my DigiQ DX

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Capt7383
    Options
    I had the LLL reading on the pit probe. It was way out of warranty, customer service sent a new one, one time only good will gesture. I have two other temp units (not maverick)with probes that are years old and never had a problem. I think maverick knows they have bad probes
  • logchief
    Options
    Sent Maverick an email and told them the prob and the date I bought the unit.  They replied that a replacement probe is "check's in the mail" no questions asked.  Can't **** about that, butt came out just dandy yesterday in spite of it.
  • logchief
    Options
    Got the new probe today, that's pretty good customers service.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Never had a problem with any probe on any unit (maverick, Thermoworks, BBQ Guru) and I use them all the time. My guess is that many people get carried away with cleaning them after a cook. Just take a slightly damp paper towell and wipe them down. The the stainless probe part, I'll use a dry Brillo pad to knock off the big stuff first.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I don't get carried away with cleaning and I did have problems with a food probe. After about a year of use, it started giving crazy high temps. I replaced it. I find the probes invaluable, particularly in frigid weather. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    logchief said:
    ... that's pretty good customers service.
    I've also got to give Maverick a thumbs up on product support. 

My son dropped the receiver on my 732 and broke the wiring to the last digit on the pit temp reading.  It still works okay, just don't know if the pit is 351 and going down or 359 and going up.  I called Maverick product support and told them my problem and asked what they could do about it.  Clearly explained that it was my fault and not theirs.  But, the gal kept asking me when I had bought it ... sounded like she wanted to handle it as a warranty issue.

The end result was she shipped me a new receiver for $20 plus shipping.  It's not normal to pay 1/3 the total cost for 1/3 of the components in a product, so I felt they were not trying to take advantage of my problem.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• dldawes1
    Options
    I wrap my probe leads in foil from the probe to about 12" length of the wires. 

It is probably not necessary to most, but it does give some heat deflection and moisture/food juice drippings protection. 

I've never had a problem with anything on the system in my 11 months of use.

• Smoker317
    Options

dldawes1 said:
    I wrap my probe leads in foil from the probe to about 12" length of the wires. 

It is probably not necessary to most, but it does give some heat deflection and moisture/food juice drippings protection. 

I've never had a problem with anything on the system in my 11 months of use.
    You may be on to something with the wrapping of the wires, etc.  My 732 meat probe died last week after probably 60 uses give or take over the past 10  months.  I have a replacement shipping from Amazon tomorrow. 
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • dldawes1
    Options
    How long are the leads on the one(s) you ordered?

I ordered extras from A-MAZ-N Products. about $13 each with 6' leads.

I did not need new ones...I just wanted the longer wires.

• logchief
    Options
    It originally came 3 firs. The replacement food probe I got is 6 ft.
  • uwing
    uwing Posts: 70
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've had the LLL reading before

It was left out and rained on while it was left on. I shut it down opened it let it dry out it seemed to be working fine until after a few uses when I got the LLL on my meat prob. I removed the batteries and put it back together and it worked fine.
  • cottonseed
    Options
    My maverick read HHH after about 30 min into a pork butt cook today. Probes shorted out. Just been using my dome thermometer and $15 meat probe. Currently in the stall at 159* Thinking about keepin it this way. All that gadgetry is too damn troublesome.
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model