Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't wait any longer for MiniMax - need a portable. Kamado Joe Jr or BGE Small and why?

Options
Heading to beach for a week long Thanksgiving excursion with the extended family and we need a good grilling/smoking platform.  We were going to default to a MiniMax,it looks awesome, but multiple calls to our local dealer month after month and they still have no reliable date.  Reports of the cost of the MiniMax vary, but if it is not available to buy then it really doesn't matter.  The BGE small and the Kamado Jr look to be about the same price, though it looks like you get a little more with the Joe, and it seems to be a little more portable.  Anyone have a solution?

-----------
I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Joe....and post pics or it didn't happen.

Joe $400 or so
    Mini Max $650plus. And its not even here. Why reward them.with a small purchase when u want the max.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    To keep it short and simple, when I was faced with the same choices as you I went with the Joe Jr. Portability and convienance won out in the end. Also the Jr. was much cheaper then as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Use the Joe when the mini max is here in Jan sell the Joe and pay close to double if its worth it to you. You can't lose here.
    Seattle, WA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Joe over small for sure. I sold my small like 2 weeks after getting the Joe.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I had a chance to see the joe jr in action recently and was really impressed with all that came out of the box. If they are still at Costco you can get the joe jr. For $350. I had some wings off of a joe jr. Last night for a Monday night football game, and I have to say they were great.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I've been eyeing up a Jumbo Joe...It would need some kind of "stovepipe" insert to be used as a smoker.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I would also add I like my Small, works great. I'm not sure how long you can run a full load of lump on a Joe Jr. or a Mini-Max, but I have gone 16 hours on my small with Fogo lump no problem.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    lakewade said:
    Heading to beach for a week long Thanksgiving excursion with the extended family and we need a good grilling/smoking platform.  We were going to default to a MiniMax,it looks awesome, but multiple calls to our local dealer month after month and they still have no reliable date.  Reports of the cost of the MiniMax vary, but if it is not available to buy then it really doesn't matter.  The BGE small and the Kamado Jr look to be about the same price, though it looks like you get a little more with the Joe, and it seems to be a little more portable.  Anyone have a solution?
    where do you live

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    where do you live

Austin, Texas

-----------
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Well, you're far to come borrow my mini max
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

honestly, had a known of a KJ Roadshow at Costco this summer within proximity of where I am, I would have gotten the Joe Jr. already.  I took is as the cosmic mojo forces to hold out for the MiniMax when the KJ Roadshow couldn't be located near me

already paid for the MM so I am awaiting my call to pick 'er up

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Well, you're far to come borrow my mini max
    thanks for the thought ;-)

-----------
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

If no one buys them....the prices will fall

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    If I traveled, I think the Joe Jr would be pretty ideal combination of size, features and price. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    Even at full pop....(ie NOT a Costco road show price of 349.) the Jr is a compelling value, and a great cooker. It actually exists, is currently available to anyman, and has proven itself to a wide group of unbiased consumers not a handful of beta users. That said, if you need/want a high quality porta-Kamado now....there's your sign. Otherwise, keep waiting and spend more. At least you'll have made an informed decision either way.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    Options
    Sounds like FUD to me
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    bcsnave said:

If no one buys them....the prices will fall

Like the mini? Corp told me once no one buys em....boy they sure lowered that price huh.
    Seattle, WA
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Grab a weber smoky mountain and the get a Mini-Maxx down the road.

Do something fun that makes you happy- 
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Gogogordy said:

Even at full pop....(ie NOT a Costco road show price of 349.) the Jr is a compelling value, and a great cooker. It actually exists, is currently available to anyman, and has proven itself to a wide group of unbiased consumers not a handful of beta users. That said, if you need/want a high quality porta-Kamado now....there's your sign. Otherwise, keep waiting and spend more. At least you'll have made an informed decision either way.

I just hope Costco carries it near me.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ the guy that was at the KJ roadshow near me said they were most likely going to expand the roadshow to more cities after the first one was done.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    lakewade said:
    When and what beach are you going to visit?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    @lit and @eggcelsior, I just emailed them asking to see if we can purchase from costco without being local to a show.  Will report back answer.  

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • 3sheets
    Options
    I liked the size of the MiniMax and did not want to wait or spend the extra money. I built a table for the KJ Jr and it gets along with my XL BGE just fine.

Location 33.537588, -83.969298 (33.5 miles and 41 minutes SE of the Mothership)

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    kdink said:
    @lit and @eggcelsior, I just emailed them asking to see if we can purchase from costco without being local to a show.  Will report back answer.  

Here is the Costco schedule I found online.  

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    3sheets said:
    I liked the size of the MiniMax and did not want to wait or spend the extra money. I built a table for the KJ Jr and it gets along with my XL BGE just fine.

That's some gorgeous craftsmanship there. Bravo!
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    All the eggers should send pics to corp of their new Jr, next to their original BGE.
    Seattle, WA
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    All the eggers should send pics to corp of their new Jr, next to their original BGE.
    This would be very funny.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    This would be very funny.
    Even better! Post pics on the BGE facebook page!
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    Despite the product loyalty and camaraderie of its customer base enjoyed by BGE this poorly handled product introduction isn't great reputationally especially given a very worthy and already available competitive product out there. At least some official communication/explanation would be a great PR move on their part. Don't understand the silence.
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    Options
    Since FUD now is acceptable in these
    threads. KJ is made in China from fire clay. Do you think there is any lead or cadmium in them? Google lead and cadmium and tell me if it is worth the risk using for food. And don't use the Rutland excuse. Different uses.