Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I don't believe in marinating ribs . . .

Options
Sardonicus
Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum

Don't believe in marinating ribs, but I did.  Overnight, Friday night in Lawry's "Hawaiian" marinade. 

Then, we let the rub sit overnight, Saturday night. 

No particular reason.  Just did.

Don't believe in foiling ribs, but I did.  No apple juice in the house, so I used the last dregs of the Hawaiian marinade.  In foil wrap for 20ish minutes.

Don't believe in saucing ribs - but my wife does, so [this time] I did.  Cut the ribs into singles and tossed them in a baggie w/ SBRay's BBQ sauce.  Then, back on the egg for a bit.

(Love this Egg!  Set it at 225° and it just stayed there for almost six hours.)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

Comments

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I don't believe how delicious those look!!
    :D
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Sardonicus
    edited November 2014
    Options
    anton said:
    I don't believe how delicious those look!!

Thanks, Anton!  I broke a couple of my 'rib rules' just for a change of pace.  Turns out - they tasted good.

Still . . . marinating ribs just ain't right.  Ain't American.  Shouldn't be legal.  ;)

We ate 'em anyway. 

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    How do you live with yourself? Sheesh. :D
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Sardonicus
    Options

Terrebandit said:

How do you live with yourself? Sheesh. :D

I do feel the shame!

(FWIW, I actually explained to the Mrs. that saucing would obscure the smoke ring.

She exhibited no concern, so I caved.)

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Sardonicus‌
    Looks like a winner to me. Hey no harm in changing things up. When you eat the same thing cooked the same way over and over it can cease to be a treat. A marinade, a different rub or even a different cooking method can breath new life into old favorite. I sometimes marinate chicken in coke cola and Captain Morgan just to change things up. Again the grub looks excellent my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Dude I don't care what you did with them, they look awesome! BTW what's more American than slathering sugary sweet sauce over anything :D
  • Sardonicus
    edited November 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    . . . I sometimes marinate chicken in coke cola and Captain Morgan just to change things up. . .

@SGH Thanks.  I will search for cola/Cap'n marinade when I get home.  Sounds . . . different, for sure.  I'm a Morgan's fan, so . . . . . .

Phatchris said:
    Dude . . .   BTW what's more American than slathering sugary sweet sauce over anything :D

@PhatChris:  (Thanks for the compliment re: ribs.)  I will concede that saucing is slightly less heretical than marinating.  ;)    B-)

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks good to me. I did 7 slabs of baby backs on Halloween with just yellow mustard and Plow Boy's rub and they were outstanding. I've done foiling and saucing before too, but these were plain and simple and good. I had people telling me they were the best they ever had and 2 of my nieces who aren't fans of rubs liked mine and one of them took a slab home with her. sometimes you just have to change things up. That's what fun about cooking on the egg, its hard to mess up the food on it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Sardonicus  Killer looking cook!

I share in most of your sentiments but you may have persuaded me otherwise.

OT- JC how did you do the GIF and quick photo slide show and put it on here?  That too looks fantastic!  
    ^:)^
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Sardonicus
    edited November 2014
    Options
    allsid said:
    Sardonicus  . . . how did you do the GIF and quick photo slide show and put it on here?  . . . ^:)^

Go to MakeAGIF.com and you'll be prompted through the process.  It's very, very easy and it takes very little time to covert a handful of photos to a GIF.  There's no charge.

There are other sites, but that's the only one I've used.

Have fun with it.   B-)

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    Ladeback
    Handing out ribs for trick or treat?
    Where's your house,. I'll be there next year dressed like an old man. Oh...that's no costume.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Hmm, I pretty much make my babybacks and pork spares the same way everytime.
    I go with a different flavor on my beef short ribs, and it's been too long since I did anything with beef spares.
    Now chicken wings is another story, I'm always changing it up how I make my wings.
    But now I'm inspired, next time I make pork ribs, I'm gonna change it up.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.