Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trick or treat!

Smokinpig
Smokinpig Posts: 739
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
My wife and I moved into our current house 7 years ago. In the first week we were warned about halloween, and this was June. We average over 300 trick or treaters. Anyone else have the same kind of neighborhood? It is truly insane but it is fun to watch. Currently it is cloudy with a slight drizzle and 57 degrees in Atlanta, might reduce the numbers this year, but it is a Friday.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I've been in my house for 15 years & never had a kid come to the door.  <:-P

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    YES! Halloween in my town (Chatsworth Ca) is CrAzY!! We get hundreds of kids coming by. We start giving out the 'goods' about 6 pm ... til we run out.

This year we're giving out packaged microwave popcorn and to the smaller kids, fullsized glowsticks - the sticks are always a hit.

I love Halloween!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Been in my house 14 years and not one soul has come down my driveway!  We have big lots about 2 acres and long driveways so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.  

I have a 7 yr old and we go to a friend's neighborhood to trick or treat and it must be like yours b/c almost every house decorates and has candy.  Lots of fun!!  60s tonight here in New Orleans looking forward to a good night!!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yep, I'm guessing around 200 here. We have 3 kiddos, so we make a party out of it. With it being a Friday this year, I'm guessing the turnout might be even bigger.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    We get a lot but not that many.  Neighborhood HOA sent out email this year asking that we keep it between 6-9pm because of problems with older kids last year.  What part of town you live in @Smokinpig ??  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    bud812 said:
    I've been in my house for 15 years & never had a kid come to the door.  <:-P
    Do you live in an "old people" neighborhood?
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Our neighborhood gets anywhere from 100-200. We live in a nice neighborhood next to a 'sketchy' one so we get a lot of drop offs from parents in those neighborhoods. They stay with their kids, and the kids are great. I think it is a compliment that they like our neighborhood so much that they come here. The traffic from the drop offs snarls the streets, but it is fun. Some of my neighbors really get creative, my street not so much so we do not have their traffic. However it is cold, rainy today in Cincy..highs in the low 40's so that will drop our numbers tonight.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    I am inside city limits, west of midtown. Our neighborhood is verv well lighted and walkable. We get a lot of drop offs as well as the hood kids.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    We got about 130 kids last night - many of the towns in Central PA do not have Trick or Treat on the weekends, due to kids staying out late and getting in trouble.  If Halloween falls on a weekend, it is celebrated Thursday night.  I'm not sure how that makes it less troublesome. 
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I've been in my house for 22 years.  When we first moved here, we got around 140 to 150 (using a clicky counter, so it isn't just a guess).  It stayed that way for about 5 years, then began to dwindle, last year I think we got 24.What's funny is I'm not that far from a street that has a lot of kids trick or treating, but it seems they no longer make the short excursion up my street.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• We always get at least 200 sometimes 400. They bus kids into our neighborhood
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    We usually get 75-100, our neighborhood has a Halloween parade and costume contest, all done the Sunday before Halloween. We missed it this year, since we were out of town, so we won't open the door tonight.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• This is the first year in my house. Our Halloween was postponed until tomorrow due to a HS football game :) They say we normally have 300-400, but since the neighborhood .5 mile away wasn't postponed we'll have much more since they'll double dip. I have 15 bags of candy and that's not going to cut it.
    Aurora,OH
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    @Grillin_beers‌ Oh lord 400 kids.!
    Do you buy enough candy or turn out the lights?
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• @TigerTony‌ we just go to Costco and buy a bunch
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    As I said in another thread  we shut off the lights and go into the theater to watch a movie.  My dawg will keep the beggars away. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,212
    bucky925 said:

As I said in another thread  we shut off the lights and go into the theater to watch a movie.  My dawg will keep the beggars away. 

I hope your local gas station or grocery store doesn't sell eggs on Halloween!!!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    It has worked the last 3 years......we are in the woods and don't have any ringing the door bell.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,446
    bucky925 said:
    It has worked the last 3 years......we are in the woods and don't have any ringing the door bell.

Nice pooch, bullmastiff ?
    Jacksonville FL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    Been in my house 14 years and not one soul has come down my driveway!  We have big lots about 2 acres and long driveways so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.  

I have a 7 yr old and we go to a friend's neighborhood to trick or treat and it must be like yours b/c almost every house decorates and has candy.  Lots of fun!!  60s tonight here in New Orleans looking forward to a good night!!

Where y'at?

We are right by Voodoo Fest (City Park) and get zero trick or treat traffic, but tons of costumed freaks going to the festival.  It's a good night to sit on the porch.

NOLA
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,426
    Costco always has the best deals on the good candy.  We'll probably get 100 or so here in our neighborhood.  
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    We get about a hundred or so. When we first moved here 10 years ago I brought the portable fire pit around front and handed out candy right in the yard by the campfire. People had a great time stopping by and getting warmed up. Now folks all over the neighborhood do the same, it's great fun to do it this way.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Well not record setting due to the rain but we had 324 tonight give or take a few. They get tough to count when they roll up in packs of 20.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• If 400 kids came to my neighborhood I'd buy pepper spray not candy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • 25 years ago we would average 400 or so, the neighbourhood was full of kids, including my own 3 at that time. Last few years it has been between 50 to 100, depending on the weather - rain keeps the Trick or Treaters away. 
    Around 6:30 and have had two, and they live next door. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    We had 6 this year and two of them were mine. Been here 12 years and this is a record for us.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    We just turned out our porch light at 8:30 First kids came at 6:20. So basicly 2 hours of Trick-Treating. We had exactly 71 children. My wife the witch gave out 90 bags of Keebler M&M cookies. image
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• It's a down year.... 25 in this neighborhood. I've had upto 120 in years past; I think it's the quick shift in weather and some rain that's leroing them at bay.... I'll hold out for the thousand or so at Trunk and Treat at church on Sunday.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• We ended up having around 300 this year. Really cold tonight 35. :(
    Aurora,OH