Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked meatloaf and a story...

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
A couple of months ago, I was at a BBQ joint that served smoked meatloaf. Some of my group was raving about how good the meatloaf was. I may have been a bit "overserved" (if you know what I mean) and I started popping off about how I could make a better meatloaf than that. Long story short, one of the guys in the group was my national sales manager. A few weeks later, he came to town to travel with me. As my wife and I always do, we invited him over for dinner. Of course, he said " how about some of your meatloaf!" I totally missed the mark that night! Even though I thought it sucked, he asked for the recipe. He made it for some friends last week. I hope his turned out better than what I served him. (I haven't hear back yet.)

Good news is this one turned out... Too bad I couldn't get it right when he was here. One of these days I'll learn to keep my mouth shut.

imageimage
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

=D>  Looks perfect!  =D>

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. I would devour it my friend

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    What went wrong with the first one?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks @sardonicus and @SGH!

@grege345when my sales manager was here, I had to sub a different kind of italian sausage because I was out of my favorite kind, I had the wrong crackers, and my temp got too high so I didn't get any smoke on the one I made for him. It wasn't the first one I made but definitely was a low as far as egged meatloaf for me. Last night I had the right ingredients and the right smoke for my taste.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks great. Can you share the recipe?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks awesome to me. Good job.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • VC_Outlaw
    Options
    Your meatloaf looks great, and it was probably very good the previous time. If your a passionate person there will always be times when you go a little too far (which I struggle with myself) but I will take passionate over polite everyday. Thanks for the story
    Valley City, Ohio
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks folks - I appreciate the compliments.

This is how I made it last night. It's a little bit of a variation on what I've done in the past.

2 lbs ground beef
    1 lb ground italian sausage
    2/3 c chopped red or yellow pepper
    2/3 c chopped green or orange pepper
    1 chopped jalapeno - no seeds (optional)
    1 c chopped onion
    3 cloves fresh garlic (minced)
    4 strips bacon 
    2 eggs
    1 c crushed crackers
    Your favorite BBQ rub for beef

Fry bacon then use a little bit of the bacon grease to sauté the veggies until tender. Add the garlic for only the last couple of minutes of the sauté. Mix crumbled bacon in with the veggies.

Mix everything together and gently press into a plastic wrap lined loaf pan - don't make it into a meat brick! Then season with Bad Byron's Butt Rub.

Dump/flip onto a cooking tray and cook indirect at 375-400 until 160 internal. I use a couple of small pieces of oak for smoke. I sauce with about 5 minutes to finish.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options

Which BBQ joint were you mouthing off at?

Meat loaf looks good. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

Man that looks great. I want meatloaf now may have to work from home this afternoon.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'm not a meatloaf fan, SWMBO love it. This looks like something I may like. I've never had smoked or with italian sausage. Gonna give this a try. Bookmarked. Thanks
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    I made meatloaf last night too. Yours looks great.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Great looking meatloaf.  Good story too.  I've used all kinds of meat in meatloaf, but never Italian sausage.  Definitely on the menu soon.  thanks for sharing.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Big meatloaf fan. Yours looks good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    For my meatloaf, I played around with fillers and settled on oatmeal.  I even tried crushed cheerios once.
    Someone a long time ago, told me to try adding frozen spinach as a source of moisture, tried it, liked it, so I kept that idea in my recipe.
    My mom always used canned condensed tomato soup for the sauce on top, so that is what I've always used.
    Sometimes I grate cheese into.  I use nutmeg and a little curry to give it a different spin.

I haven't tried smoking one yet, might have to do that the next time I make meatloaf.  I also might go for a small enough loaf that I can wrap a bacon weave around it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.