Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

575 Degree Turbo Wing Test.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
I have been playing around with the turbo method with large cuts of meat a good bit as of late so I thought why not try it with wings as well.
Smoker- LBGE.
Wood- Pecan.
Lump- Rockwood.
Set up- Indirect with plate setter with drip pan. Grid at gasket level.
Seasoning- Thought I would try a 3 way mix. Cayenne is still in the mix. The Salt Lick was in my Elfster gift.
Temperature- 550-575 degrees indirect.
imageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I think @Mickey has a good picture of turbo wings.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I have seen it. I hope that I get lucky and do much better brother W ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @SGH-I will be interested in the level of effort to get the BGE north of 550*F indirect.  Every time I try to get there for a controlled (non pizza) cook it seems to be more work than the return.  Stock grate in the LBGE.  I may be missing the obvious...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    DMW said:
    I think @Mickey has a good picture of turbo wings.

My Turbo Wings. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    That's just plain awesome!!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @lousubcap‌
    Brother Cap, when I really want to get up on the temp, I light a full chimney starter and dump in my egg once all of it is roaring. It has worked like a charm thus far brother Cap. No problem at all hitting 500+ degrees indirect.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Going on at 550 degrees.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Thomas Keller's roasted chicken is at 450.. So why not bump it a bit :D
  • SGH
    Options
    @Phatchris‌
    I just bumped it to a steady 575 degrees. What's the worst that could happen? :D

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    These look like they'll be great. Not sure how fast turbo wings take? Usually mine cook in about 45 mins at 400...
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Thanks for the kind words my friend. Total cook time: 32 minutes 51 seconds from take off to touch down.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @lousubcap‌
    The egg jumped around in the mid to high 500's. I just let ride.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'm looking forward to seeing this. I bet it's gonna work. We use the kicken chicken all the time.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SGH
    Options
    Turned out pretty good for the first time.
    imageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Oh yeah!!! Awesome turbo my friend.... I like the fixins with it....
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice meal all around well done. =D>
    Seattle, WA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I would kill that but not at your consumption rate!  Thanks for the feedback-great groceries for a Sunday snack :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    @SGH, so what determined the end point by your standads? Just curious. Id like to replicate this as the one thing about wings for me, When I am hungry for wings I need it like now! :))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SGH
    Options
    @Aviator‌
    Are you asking how did I determine when to pull them? If so I go by feel. The wings should be very "yielding" and "loose" to the touch. If that is not what you are asking, I will gladly try again my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Spot on buddy, thanks.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Nice work. Did they get much smoke? I normally don't get much when temps go north of about 450*.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Ragtop99‌
    No sir. They did not. At temps that high dwell time is so short in the cooking chamber that they only pick up a very light hint of smoke. It a fair trade off though. Lightly smoked wings in about a half hour. They are excellent nonetheless. And as always I thank you for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Pure$$$$! Nicely done Scotty!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Is that dressing as a side?
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    No ma'am. It's a stuffing that I usually use for whole chickens and whole turkeys. Just had it as a side with the wings. I should have tried stuffing the wings ;)
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Thank you brother husker.

Status- Standing by.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    That's what I meant. In my mind, "stuffing" goes in a bird and "dressing" is cooked along side. No other difference. In any case, it looked amazing! Would you mind sharing your recipe?
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Looks delicious as per usual. I used that same Kickin Chicken on my spatchcock tonight, nice spicy flavor.
    =D>
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SGH
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    It's a secret family recipe that I really didn't want to let out of the bag. I have kept it gaurded for close to 50 years. But sister you know I can't say no to you. So here it is:
    That is honest to goodness what I used tonight sister. Haven't been feeling myself. Real run down from the odd shifts that I have been keeping.

Status- Standing by.

• corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Options
    Can't wait to see that egg back in it's home instead of out on the grass....  ;)