Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Big Oktoberfest Oysteroast Cook...

Options
2»

Comments

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    This  morning's activity included a trip to the Fish Wharf...

I ended up with 2 bushels of Chesapeake Bay oysters,
    A box of Sewensecott's (Hog Island Bay, seaside Eastern Shore VA) and
    A box of Chincoteague's.

We'll probably eat the two boxes raw and throw the bushels on the grill.   The seaside Virginia oysters have such a nice sweet salty taste and it kind of gets lost when you cook them.

The bay oysters needed a quick rinse;

And here is what's on the menu -
    Sewensecott's on the left, Chincoteague in the middle, Ches Bay on the right!

Dig in!!!

LBGE/Maryland
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    I wish I had access to stuff like that..envious!
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Looking very good!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Now nice to be you =D>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    That looks great!!! I haven't tried oysters yet, but the way everyone raves about them, I'm gonna have to move them up the list... Hell if I can eat octopus; I'm sure I can handle a relative of the clam...

Can't wait to see the finished results
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Looking good.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌ I like the looks of those piles of oysters. Did you chargrill any or eat all of them raw?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌- Brother the post can't end as is. I got to know more about these oysters please.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Bump.......... For oyster pics :-bd

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I knew the oyster obsessed @SGH would chime in at some point
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Hey SGH, the thread did not end!  I was hosting the party yesterday, slept a bit of it off and then cleaned up.  All good!  I do not have any good pictures of the cook, though.  I'll see if others took some. 

Details...

The Mojo Pork was a huge hit.  I only had one small container left, the rest was destroyed and everyone raved about it.  The thing about that recipe is it is a little different than the pulled pork most people have tried, and delicious, so folks really seem to enjoy it.  It's such a nice make-ahead dish.  I'll do it again for certain.

The Brats, I didn't even get to try one!  All gone.  Heard they were good.

Aaaaaannnnnnd the oysters.  Yum.
    So, I have shuckers out and people open up as many raw as they want, the bulk of them go on the grill though.   I had a gas grill and a lump charcoal grill going last night so I could compare.  I was surprised how much better they taste off the lump.  They are good either way, but it is surprising that even a closed oyster somehow still absorbs some of the lump flavor.

With this many oysters I don't mess with cracking them and cooking them open face with toppings.  It'd be impossible to keep up with the demand.   I roast big piles and then transfer them with a shovel to the shucking table where we have a lot of different sauces (hot garlic butter being my favorite) and everybody dresses them how they like.  Most are eaten plain right out of the shell.

I'll see what we have for pics, but...the Oktoberfest Oyster Roast was a success.

AHHHHH, the BEER.  I almost forgot.

My friend came through with two nice ones...

A 1/6 keg of Sierra Nevada Harvest Single Hop IPA (Equinox Hops) and
    A 1/2 keg of Hacker Pschorr Marzen.

Both great.  Do I really have to go to work tomorrow?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ahhh, got a few-

Highly recommend, and I'm not even a huge IPA fan or a huge Sierra fan...

A pile on the charcoal grill (over RO lump);   - I just put these on.  Cook with it closed for 10-15 minutes, depending on the temperature of the grill.

Late in the roast, the table is a wreck now, but you get the idea... selection of sauces, everyone dives in...

Spoils...

This stuff is delicious -
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌
    That's what I like to see. Lots of oysters!! Awesome man. Simply awesome. I honestly wish I could have been there to put on a oyster eating demonstration for you ;)

Status- Standing by.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Awesome party. I'm sure the raccoons will agree when they raid your garbage cans tonight!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Fantastic cook, great job man!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SGH
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌
    Brother I know folks are probably tired of me bumping this but oh well. Those oysters have my full attention. And you have my respect sir. Awesome job from take off to touch down. For the oysters alone im honored to give this post:

Status- Standing by.

• KiterTodd
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Awesome party. I'm sure the raccoons will agree when they raid your garbage cans tonight!
    Actually...my chocolate lab has the most fun with the shells.  She'll pick them out for days.  I think to her they are just little flavorful rocks!

We use the shells in the back where there is a storm run off that errodes a bit.  I dump the shells there and it slows down the errosion.  After a big storm I find oyster shells 200 yards downstream.  Someday someone is going to be scratching their heads...

Anyway, limestone.  Good for the soil.

SGH, as always I appreciate the enthusiasm!  This is our big party of the year and it's always a lot of fun.  Lot of work but in addition to a great night, it's fun to introduce folks to a food few get to enjoy with such gluttony!  These days oysters are usually served up fancy in bars for $2.50 a piece so folks don't get exposed to so many at one time where they can experiment and find out how they like them and how different locations produce such different tastes.  It's a blast!  Good times.

LBGE/Maryland
  • SGH
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌- For the record, gluttony is the only deadly sin that I comitt daily ;)

Status- Standing by.