Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max vs Small comparison

Options

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Come on guys , the $429 really for a max....blew it off when I saw it typed.
    Seattle, WA
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Crimsong--I guess someone needs to compare the mini max top to a new small on a showroom floor.  Hard to tell from photos, but I think my small dome looks more like the minimax.   Maybe they change dome shape a little at some point.  Seems like it would definitely benefit mfr to have domes the same on each at this time.  I will look too when my dealer gets them in.
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    @Crimsongator‌ What I've been waiting to find out is how long the MM will go on a load of lump for a low & slow vs the small? The other question is air flow, some have trouble getting the small up to high temperatures.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Come on guys , the $429 really for a max....blew it off when I saw it typed.
    Yep, I gave him like 10 "are you sure!?" double checks.  He insisted 429.  When I called back he felt bad because he found out after we hung that he quoted me wrong.  I told him no big deal.  I wasn't interested in the MM, but now after calling on one, I think I might be.  ****, why do I have to buy every egg?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Yeah not going to lie seeing more and more pics make it seem more real and that its an option.
    Seattle, WA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌ the plate setter is not included. Will be right around $48.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So, what are the trade-offs?

Same cooking area but more height and smaller overall egg seems to make the MM attractive.

However, I'm guessing if you lower the grate on the Small (can you?)  You could still fit more food in there.  You can definitely fit more charcoal.

Are there any other gains to the increased distance between the lump and the cooking service?
    Less chance of burning on a direct cook on the Small.  And I just feel like a larger area is going to fluctuate temps less rapidly (i.e. small changes may mean a bigger temp change on the MM?)

This is all guesswork on my part.
    What do you folks who have already cooked on various sized eggs think will be the differences?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    How heavy is it? Can one guy pick it up easy???
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

well, it will be worth the wait, I am IN

have a standing order to get two as soon as they're available

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    How heavy is it? Can one guy pick it up easy???
    Yes it is easy to move but I would suggest using 2 people. I let my 13 yr old help me move it tonight and had no fear that he would drop his end.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I called another dealer (Keith at Casual BBQ and fireplace, http://www.casualbbq.com/ ) and he told me $800 for the MM.  Not going to go there anymore.  He was real shady, I asked what a medium costs and he went on how the 800 was a great deal and he wouldn't be making any money on it.

Posting this here just in case any Salt Lake City eggers are looking for a dealer (or ones to avoid actually).
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I called another dealer (Keith at Casual BBQ and fireplace, http://www.casualbbq.com/ ) and he told me $800 for the MM.  Not going to go there anymore.  He was real shady, I asked what a medium costs and he went on how the 800 was a great deal and he wouldn't be making any money on it.

Posting this here just in case any Salt Lake City eggers are looking for a dealer (or ones to avoid actually).
    Does he sell bridges too?
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

if no platesetter is included, I am good with that as I'd get a spider and stone from Ceramic Grill store so I can  drop it closer to the fire and have maybe two levels  too cook on in the MM.  they don't have spider for small yet but they do have a set up with a stone which gives you the barrier- same as what you use in a SM BGE.  I think two spatch chix on two levels can be done on the MM with the indirect setup that is offered by CGS.

Stay tuned and i'll post on this forum somewhere when I am in business with the MM and accessories.

jcaspary said:
    @SkinnyV‌ the plate setter is not included. Will be right around $48.

• Crimsongator
    Options
    I found out yesterday the platesetter is not included but don't have a price yet
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    How much is a small PS? I'd think it be similar.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I found out yesterday the platesetter is not included but don't have a price yet

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DaveShady
    DaveShady Posts: 48
    edited October 2014
    Options
    we are in the #2 slot to be getting some mini max's in ordered 2 to start with 
    shouda made that 6! both are already sold. I think this is going to be a HOTTT
    lil egg for sure. MSRP is $598.00

Allot of eggcitement on this new product. The Convector (plate setter) is ala carte. $47.95 MSRP
    Photo was from my sales rep yesterday.
    User, Abuser of the Big Green Egg Clinton Iowa
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have 2 large BGE's, a small and a mini. We were able to beta test the Mini Max for 10 days while camping. We did not take the small or mini. MM was able to cook everything we usually cook, meat, pizza, wok w Chinese food, kettle q, cast iron everything. The plus is the cooking dimension and portability...it is a work horse. We cooked a 6 lb butt and a brisket flat. The lump lasts 4-5 hours at 350+..it is on our Christmas wish list.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Thanks for that info @Vidalia1. That's exactly what I was looking for.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    vidalia1 said:
    I have 2 large BGE's, a small and a mini. We were able to beta test the Mini Max for 10 days while camping. We did not take the small or mini. MM was able to cook everything we usually cook, meat, pizza, wok w Chinese food, kettle q, cast iron everything. The plus is the cooking dimension and portability...it is a work horse. We cooked a 6 lb butt and a brisket flat. The lump lasts 4-5 hours at 350+..it is on our Christmas wish list.
    Thanks Sir for the report. Do you have a Small Woo for the Small? If so did you try it in the MM?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pescadorzih
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Only $30 more than a bare mini? That's kinda unbelievable.
    Bare mini at my dealer is $300. The wife said if the max was $350 or less I could get one for xmas.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    My dealer has a 20% off sale on EVERYTHING going on right now, including Eggs. I'm half tempted to just get a mini and be done with it.
    SE PA
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    240 isn't outrageous.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    The mini woo fits sort of, but you will need the new MM plate setter. $48.00 for the MM plate setter...Ceramic Grill store will need to make adjustments on the Woo...
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited October 2014
    Options
    That is an interesting marketing picture....is the bottom THAT cool that you could plan on putting it on top of a table cloth and lighting her up?!?!   Seems odd...

...I think they are also going to burn their zucchini.  :D
    (but maybe that's a planned indirect cook)  =))
    LBGE/Maryland
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    I know it's not outrageous. That's why I'm thinking just get the mini and the hell with the max. Even if it is $450-500 at my dealer, whenever they get the mini max, that to me is still overpriced.
    SE PA
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I put a 16 inch granite tile under the Mini Max when I used it at Eggtoberfest....it was hot when it was moved. MSRP will be $598 for Mini Max & stand + $49 for the MM plate setter...
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options

V1--I have large and small at home, and tend to use large even for smaller cooks, and just use small for tailgating and when I need second egg to do two separate dishes. (and large in a table so just easier to use the one in the table too)

My small seems to take longer to get going than my large (have hi-que grates in both).  Just curious, does the mini max seems to fire up quicker than your small, or about same?  How does start time on mini max compare to a mini?

Trying to figure out which of the two--mini or mini max--I would prefer.

TIA

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options

V1--I have large and small at home, and tend to use large even for smaller cooks, and just use small for tailgating and when I need second egg to do two separate dishes. (and large in a table so just easier to use the one in the table too)

My small seems to take longer to get going than my large (have hi-que grates in both).  Just curious, does the mini max seems to fire up quicker than your small, or about same?  How does start time on mini max compare to a mini?

Trying to figure out which of the two--mini or mini max--I would prefer.

TIA

Hey Greg,

That's strange I have a large and a small as well, my small seems to get going faster than my large, I have the regular grates on both.

Johns Creek, Georgia