Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dragon breath lump - comparison - last nights test - fail

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
As a quest to make better meals off the egg and recommendations to try new lump(s). I ordered a bunch of different lump a few weeks ago. Got some rock wood, Oazark Oak and Dragon Breath. I was normally using royal oak and occasional Wicked good when I could find it. I like WG allot but hard to find. tried the Rockwod and went through a bag fast. I like it allot as it burns clean fast and lasts long. Still need to try veggies on it. Cooked pizza last weekend and basically cleaned out the egg from the high temp cook. Note takes about 20 min with fresh lump for clean smoke. Last night I opened a fresh bag of Dragon Breath. Much smaller pieces compared to WG And RW. Loaded up the egg. Using the mapp torch to light the egg. Lots of sparks and took 90+ minutes @300-350 to have somewhat clear smoke. Tons of white smoke. IME royal oak is faster to get going and sparks the same. Was planning some nice steaks and baked potatoes. Ended up ordering takeout as the lump was taking too long to get going. After an hour and still pouring white smoke, pizza place was on call. Steaks probably won't be eaten now as I don't have time to cook them. What a waste. Not satisfied with it at all. Double the cost of Royal Oak for similar or less results. This will be the last resort lump now. I like the Rockwood allot. I have not tried the OO yet but that will be next month when I find time to cook again. Looking at October maybe.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Try some Humphrey. I love it.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I think you will be impressed with the Ozark oak even over the rockwood it is my go to lump. Just used 4.5 bags of it this weekend
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    OO and RW are both par excellent. They are now my go to lumps thanks to @Thatgrimguy‌ & @Biggreenpharmacist‌ .

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @cortguitarman‌
    The Humphreys lump is par excellent as well. I have only got to use it once as it is not available in my area. When my Pitmaker Vault was delivered it had 2 bags of the Humphreys inside of it. Did not try it on the egg but was well pleased with its performance on my Vault.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Another vote for Humphrey. The price can be really good if you organize a group buy and order 3 or 4 pallets (30 - 20 pound bags each).
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I had a horrible experience with Humphreys.  I ordered five 40 pound bags and over half of it was chips and dust in each bag.  Tried to contact them and they wouldn't respond to emails or phone messages.  Never again.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    dlk7 said:

I had a horrible experience with Humphreys.  I ordered five 40 pound bags and over half of it was chips and dust in each bag.  Tried to contact them and they wouldn't respond to emails or phone messages.  Never again.

That's too bad.  We've ordered several times and always had good luck. When we order, it is full pallets and they get delivered to a hub where we go to pick them up ourselves.  Small shipments are probably at the mercy of many more delivery problems.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Tried again last night to make some steaks. Reloaded the egg with dragons breath lump. Same results. Sparks like crazy. Was going at 400 for 1.5 hours and tons of white bad smoke for that time. I was up all night making sure there was no fire on my deck from all the Sparks and embers flying all over the place. Lots of flashbacks when burning as well.

Used royal oak today for the chilli cook. I emptied the leftover lump and loaded with royal oak. Lit the egg and the egg at 350. The white smoke was gone in 15 min.

No more Dragons Breath for me.

Garnerville, NY
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I'm currently cooking with the best bag of royal oak ever. Big pieces, no sparks, clean smoke, minimal ash, and it seems like this one bag is lasting for ages. I feel bad burning such a good product :((
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited October 2014

Guy's

GROVE CHARCOAL.....can't go wrong

I must be living in heaven..Grove Charcoal is located 15 minutes from my house...in Ceadr Grove WI..use it..it is some of the best lump out there..and the Piggly Wiggly has it for $12.89 for 20# bags.

Nueskes BACON is up in Wittenburg WI

the BGE company is located 8 minutes from my Corporate Office in Doraville GA..

and I am just 45 minutes south of the land of the BIG GREEN Bay

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Rfd96
    Rfd96 Posts: 20
    FOGO is my go to so far. Need to try the RW and OO because they get a lot of love on the forum.
  • What are you guys paying for lump.  Lowes has it for 12.95, Academy has it for 9.95,  20lb bags

Green  Egg was 24.95 same 20lb bag

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Royal Oak is available for $12 for a 17.8 pound bag at Home Depot. Got it last week for $10 at a Western Beef Supermarket.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.