Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

sbunker
sbunker Posts: 39
I have a 8 lb Hereford brisket from Fresh Market. They only had small ones in the case, so I got one from the back still sealed in the bag. Now, I know I'm starting with quality beef, do I smoke as I would normally do with a butt, or should I use strick's method? Any input would be appreciated. 

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited October 2014
    I've always done my briskets the way Dr BBq does his. Ok, it won't let me post the link. Youtube + Dr BBq Brisket

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Brother there are untold methods that will yield good results. That said if you have just a flat and are not well versed in cooking flats, go with brother Stricks method. It's almost fool proof if you will. If you are accustom to cooking flats and know what one feels like when it turns a loose, then cook it any way that you want my friend. I have been playing around with hanging them on meat hooks and cooking them raised direct with killer results. There is no wrong or right way my friend. The main thing is don't over cook it no matter which method you chose. Good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• sbunker
    Thanks for the info, I have got the Butts down to a science. perfect every time (not really that hard now). I have had my large egg for almost 20 years and have yet to do a brisket. At $8.00 a lb, I want to start with a good tried and true method. I do realize there are many opinions out there about brisket as there are opinions about Butt. I think I will go with Stricks method. I may try fat down and see if I can get more smoke penetration and some bark.
  • Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    Good luck @sbunker ! I  just did my first brisket and it came out great. I used a collection of advice from this site and it turned out very tender and flavorful.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Agreed w/ @Dillonjm @sbunker.  I just did my first bisket a couple weeks ago too, and it turned out wonderfully. 

Absolutely the best thing about this board is it's willingness to help out a fellow egghead.  I was intimidated with brisket for awhile, but I'm now totally convinced, we shouldn't be at all nervous about cooking something.  The board will lead us to great results every time.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • SGH
    Standing by and counting down for the finale.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Can't wait to see it.  
  • Dillonjm said:
    Good luck @sbunker ! I  just did my first brisket and it came out great. I used a collection of advice from this site and it turned out very tender and flavorful.
    What exactly did you do with the brisket? My husband and I CANNOT master it on the BGE, so I finally bought the BBQ Guru to keep the temp stable. I'm still leery of spending that kind of money again only to have a tough slab of meat that we can't eat!
  • sbunker
    I followed Stricks method. I have been at a plateau of 181 for about 3 hours now....waiting for it to break.I'm 8 hours in.
  • SGH
    Just keep steering the train brother. All is well.

Status- Standing by.

• sbunker
    My wife is the one that will get impatient. She doesn't understand the foil and resting that needs to happen after it comes off. 
  • sbunker
    8 hrs 43 mins, 201 degrees....now in foil for hour.....wife already asking when I'mgoing to feed her.
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    I feed my wife something else; more for me
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • Dillonjm
    @RooCeleste I wouldn't say I mastered it at all but it came out delicious, very tender and flavorful. It was my first one. Here is the link to my brisket

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1171897/first-brisket-thanks-for-all-the-advice#latest

Backyard BBQ Dude

Northern VA
  • Dillonjm
    I cant wait to see the final pics!
    Backyard BBQ Dude

Northern VA
  • SGH
    Still standing by.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Still standing by my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Bumping and standing by for the finale⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Status- Standing by.

• sbunker
    Not the greatest, Flavor was good very tender, but I know a couple of things I would do differently next time. This will end up chopped and sauced. Funny, my wife said that for a couple of more dollars, I could have cooked a whole Fillet Mignon. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    A buddy smoked a huge pile of ribs this summer, took them off early, and while cooked...they were a tough leathery mess.   The next night he pulled off all the meat and simmered it in BBQ sauce and it was an excellent treat!  I'm sure you can do the same with your brisket.

I'll have to make a brisket again soon.  My first was excellent.  My second was okay.  Looking forward to #3... 

In my experience, I sually find my first results are great, my second are awful.  And I spend the rest of my time trying to achieve the dumb luck I tripped over in the first cook. 
    :))
    LBGE/Maryland
  • sbunker
    The funny thing is that I prefer the pork butt anyway. I just did the brisket because I have never done one. Maybe next time I will do as my wife suggested and get a whole Fillet Mignon. I can get that for about 10 bucks more