Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib & Chicken Results

Options
Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally drummed up the nerve to try one of the prime rib steaks that I received as a gift a few weeks ago. This was a bone-in rib about 3.5 inches thick of some of the best beef that can be had (restaurant quality). The wife had to have chicken tonight so the planned cook became rather tricky.[p]I started out this morning by placing the thawed prime rib in a zipper bag after coating it with garlic, onion powder, Montreal steak seasoning and poured in a couple of good shakes of Lea & Perins sauce. Took a chicken breast and put in in a seperate bag with Italian dressing. Let all that sit in the fridge for about 6 hours.[p]While The BGE was coming to temp, I pulled the rib out and scrapped off all the coating as I did not want to char the garlic. Then I rubbed it down with Garlic Peppercorn Robo Roast. [p]The tricky part to all of this was the grill set up. I wanted to do the rib indirect over a drip pan and the chicken was to be done direct. I balanced the secondary cooking grate over my inverted rib rack setting in the drip pan and placed it in an offset manner on top of my main cooking grate. This allowed the rib to go over the drip pan while the chicken received direct flame from the fire. Threw a hand full of Misquite on the fire before assembling the setup. Cooked at 500* turning about every 10 minutes and re-basting the chicken breast with fresh Italian dressing at each turn. This cooked for about 25 minutes then I disassembled the cooking set up and placed the meat back on the main cooking grate for about 3 minutes before closing the BGE vents for an additional 10 minute bake. [p]I searched high and low for a good method to do the Prime rib but, the information was limited. Dr. Chicken had posted some good info as well as Earl. I also found a great Horseradish sauce in our recipe section and that one is a winner for sure. I took a little from all I could find and just put together what sounded like would work for me.[p]The results were absolutely off the scale. This had to be the best prime rib I ever put in my mouth. The wife was busy devouring her chicken and mumbling with her mouth full about how good it was. We served all this up with a simple garden salad and baked taters. As gfw would say "Life is Good"......REALLY GOOD![p]Fat and Happy for the evening.
Bob

Comments