Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling all Texans.... Post Oak???

Ok guys is this what y'all are calling post oak? I have a lot of different oaks on my property and I have done a little research and I'm thinking that's what this is. imageimage

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Bump

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Not an expert, but does look like a post oak to me, both the bark and the leaves.  We have quite a few around here as well. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Zoom in and take a pic of both the leaves and the bark and I can tell you exactly what it is. I'm not a Texan but I have cut and burned more than my fair share of oak my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    If you remove some bark, the grain structure should look like this if its post oak.image

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• shtgunal3
    @SGH here are some more pics
    The barkimage
    The leaves

And one of another that I believe is a white oak.

The one thing that is throwing me off on the post oak is that I can't see any acorns on it and every other kind of oak around here is loaded with acorns.

• shtgunal3
    I just want to be sure before I cook with it.

• SGH
    Brother im going to pass this to one of the locals. Why? After farther review of the pics and much study, your tree in question doesn't look like ours. Not saying it's not post, just can't be conclusive from the pic. Also strains can have different characteristics per their region and climate. Maybe brother Tex can cast an astute eye upon it and make the call for you.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    But for what it's worth I'm going to say it is a white species but not post. Again let someone local to the area make the call, but it doesn't look like our post oak.

Status- Standing by.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Think that's a white oak- here is a post oak leaf and bark. The leaf you are showing seems to have more lobes.
    Greensboro, NC
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    call your county extension service.  they will get you to the fella/gal who can help you.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    post oak is a type of white oak so either way you're good to go
  • Can you post 1 or 2 complete leaves?  In your pictures the leaves are kind of at an angle and some are deteriorated so it's hard to see.  And post a picture of the underside of a leaf as well.

@brycos - here in Texas Post Oak is what's used in most of the very well known central texas BBQ places so people like to be sure they're using Post Oak.  Believe it or not it does have a different taste than other white oak.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    good to know!  I live in NC and can't find post oak around here.  Someone on here or BBQ Brethren said "post" is a type of white oak and would be close enough.  I tried it and it made a big improvement over the hickory I had been using.
  • shtgunal3
    @jimithing‌ thanks I will take some more pics when I get home.

• shtgunal3

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Tennessee Post Oak
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • shtgunal3
    @henapple I didn't know if y'all were stump jumpers or stump humpers. I guess I have my answer now. :-S

• SGH
    Good lord brother Apple.^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I'm in total shock.

Status- Standing by.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Geez, you're getting worse every day with these nasty eye-gouging pis, lol.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    I had some moonshine requested from Tennessee,
    Canceled the request.....
    I'll stick with Kentucky shine!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Tony, you lost some weight...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.