Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Demo Egg - Pick up and Transport

Brand new to the forum here, but have been looking at it for some time and am looking forward to learning once I pick up my Demo Egg at Eggtoberfest in October. 

My question is what type of material do I need to bring with me to load up my Egg and transport it home safely?  I have an F250 so it can sit in the bed of the truck, but am concerned on how to secure and protect it.  Do I need some foam, cardboard, other items to secure it well?  For those who have picked up Demo Eggs before and advice on what to be prepared for?  I am sure this is well run, but will take some time due to the cool down period and everyone picking the eggs up.  I will be staying at the campground so have no time constraints per say. 

Any advice for this newbie is greatly appreciated.  

Northwest GA, Large BGE (w/Nest), Plate Setter

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

@weekender-Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Degree of Kool-Aid consumption a matter of personal preference.  You have come to the right place to expand your BGE horizons-and who knows what other topics periodically surface.

Regrettably, no help with the transport other than make sure you either shim the internals or remove for the road trip. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    What size and welcome to the circus
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• butert
    butert Posts: 202
    I would take the dome off and transport separate.  Take lots of towels and a few straps.  
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Welcome to the 'point of no return'. I would also say what size and how far do you have to go?

You could keep it in the nest and pull it behind the truck with a rope.. =))

I would definitely take something soft (like a blanket/towels) and several straps as mentioned above.
  • Thanks for the quick repsonses.  It will be the Large BGE.  Will definetley plan to take the inside parts out and secure those.  Will also bring blankets/towels and straps.  Will travel about 100 miles back to NW GA.

Northwest GA, Large BGE (w/Nest), Plate Setter

• I would take all the guts out and wrap in towels and secure in bed of truck. Then take the dome off and set it on the floor board. Then put the passenger in the back to watch the guts. Then strap the base securely in the passenger seat of the truck where it is nice and safe.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • I built a mini- table that now serves as a side table. Let me see if I can find details.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• I too am getting a large demo egg from Stone mtn Eggfest. Am really excited. Will be traveling about 130 miles back. So lots 'of blankets and straps? Any other advice? Zarcon, I guess I could ride my horse up, lasso the sucker and ride off into the sunset, but it would probably take a day or two to get home! LOL
  • Ask if they still have the boxes - I would dis-assemble it and box it up again. The boxes will be a lot easier to secure in the truck than the assembled egg with nest, which is obviously top heavy for a hundred mile trip through the Appalachians.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• When I picked up my large egg with our van we took out the internals, left the egg in the nest and laid it on it's side.  I had to drive about 60 km (35 miles) and took all back roads driving carefully and arrived home with it not having moved.

Gerhard
  • Take the egg out of the nest and seat belt it in the passenger seat. I have done this before. As far as laying it on its side i would never try I t but that us me.

1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Boxes will be gone and disassembly is not required. If you have room, like said before, put in back set and strap it down. In the bed, you could fold a moving blanket and set the egg on it. Surround with more and strap in place. You need to keep it from tipping and the dome from trying to open. A bungee from the handle to the bottom vent should work. Some people protect the insides, some don't. Heck they are warrantied so is the guts crack, go get replacements. They eventually will during cooking.