Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feeding My Co-Workers. How Would You Do It?

My buddy at work calls me out today.  I keep yapping about my egg, but I have yet to bring stuff for everyone.  He's right I haven't.  Maybe it's a little stage fright or laziness?  I'm not sure.  I have always thought it was a logistics problem.  How to do it when the equipment on hand are a small fridge and a small microwave both the size you would expect to see in an average dorm room?  Bringing an egg to work is not an option.

I've thought that cooking something before work and letting it sit FTC until lunch would be difficult because whatever it is must be cooked on time.  Doing a butt or something can be a little scary if the stall is prolonged.  I've thought that reheating is probably the best solution, but reheat what?

Alright peanut gallery!  Gimme your 2 cents!

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• ribs are good cause they can be reheated in the micro without loosing anything. Buffalo boneless thighs are my go to when bringing egg stuff into the office. Don't feel limited to low and slow stuff, I've impressed with regular grilled treats done superior to what I can get from a gasser or charcoal grill.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Either overnight a pork butt or brisket or 2 and FTC until lunch, or cook it up ahead of time and reheat at work. You can vac pac and reheat in hot water, or if your only choice is the microwave, zap it and you will be fine. You can also reheat in a crockpot.
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Know anyone who has a Nesco or similar type roaster? You could do pulled pork and keep it warm in that. Otherwise I don't have many ideas. I did it the other way, brought in food without telling them about my Egg. They told me it was okay but I need to keep practicing and bring more to ensure I get it just right... Pork shoulders were on sale this week - Time to fire it up again.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • If i do a butt over the weekend, I could bring the pulled pork in a cooler and dump it into a crockpot or roaster at 10:00 and by noon it should be warm and ready. I like the idea of reheating in sealed food saver bags in hot water. Perhaps setting the crockpot on low and adding the bags of pork 2 hours before lunch? Do you think 2 hours is long enough or too long?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    +1 on the Nesco Roaster. I reheated 30 pounds of pulled pork once in one and it turned out great
    Flint, Michigan
  • I've done pork butt for the work crew a few times. I always let the butt just cook low and slow overnight and then FTC and take with me to work. It's always still nice and hot and we just pull it at lunch time. I don't have a digi-q or stoker but never have had a problem. I usually put it on about 10 and check on it once or twice when I get up to pee.

Little Rock, AR

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I've made pulled pork for 80+ at work. I put the butts on at 6pm and took em off at 6am and FTC'd till it was time to serve. The meat was still in the 160 - 170 temp range. If done right, you can safely hold for several hours. Nobody died or was admitted to our ER.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    +1 on doing pulled pork, vacuum sealing, and reheating in a crockpot water bath. I did this for our pre-open house back to school get together and got great reviews. Made a bunch of different sauces (eastern NC, western NC, Georgia mustard, and Alabama white and called it a tour of the south. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Fred do the pork.
     But really, My Little Pony?

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited September 2014
    GK59 said:

Fred do the pork.

Yes My Little Pony. My daughter's fantasy football team (Ponyville Ponies) beat me in week 1. I commented here about the embarrassment of it and the idea came from someone, supported by a few, that as penance I should change my avatar until I play her again in week 9. Give the people what they want.

I'm having a rough start this year. Our league plays two games every week and I'm 1-3 so far.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Screw it don't feed them or order pizza
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

@Fred19Flinstone +1 on what Cazzy said. Time your butts to come off just before you leave for work. FTC in a good pre warmed cooler and you can go for hours. I use the coolers from Omaha Steaks. I have gone as long as 7 hours just last month. Popped it out of the cooler and was still to hot to pickup.

As we all know it is best to pull it just before serving. 

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if you have a slicer, ham, roastbeef, and corned beef sandwiches. some good bread, fresh tomatoes,a good stone ground mustard, and maybe that green stuff i see in the pictures. falls coming, soups and chilis and corn bread
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I bring BBQ to work for my co-workers all the time.  I always cook the butt on Sunday and pull off that evening.  I pull the meat and store in a plastic gallon storage bag.  I take apple cider vinegar and some sauce I am using and pour over each bag.  

Next day, before you eat, have a large bowl to dump product in and microwave.  People here talk about it all the time.  Matter of fact, they give me money to bring stuff.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Fred19Flintstone‌
    I would take them all to McDonalds ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Coincide the cook with a morning 'dentist appointment'  :D
    canuckland
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    SGH said:
    @Fred19Flintstone‌ I would take them all to McDonalds ;)
    @SGH Or Arby's for the Smokehouse Brisket sandwhich
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mcrib > Arbys brisket

Little Rock, AR

500 Posts: 3,177
    GK59 said:
    Fred do the pork.
    Maybe @Fred19Flintstone is a Brony.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • 500 said:

GK59 said:

Fred do the pork.

Maybe @Fred19Flintstone is a Brony.

Little Rock, AR

• My 6 year old loves My Little Pony. I know more about that sickly sweet syrupy show than I should. "Brony"? I guess that's better than "My Little Brony" which might be confused with an item of anatomy. :D
    Flint, Michigan
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Take one day of your holidays and do it up. then there is no real danger of a prolonged stall.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited September 2014
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Fred on casual Friday.