Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin Bacon Wrapped? onion mix?

Options
blakeas
blakeas Posts: 244
did a search on here and came across many ideas - But I have some thick bacon with peppercorns and was thinking of wrapping the pork tenderloin and then cooking direct?  Suggestions?  Should I rub with onion mix along with mayo and then bacon wrap?

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Try it and report back! Please post pics! I don't see how this can turn bad.

Options
    so like 450 degrees direct?  till it hits 135?  or will the bacon not be cooked ?
  • paqman
    edited September 2014
    Options
    If you are concerned about the bacon, you can parcook it in the microwave before wrapping (just a few minutes). You may have to use a few tootpicks to make it stay. 450 seems hot to me but it could work. I would probably aim for 400F.

Options
    @Blakeas you inspired me to give this cook a try tonight. MDSH is on board too - he thinks bacon is a food group. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • blakeas
    Options

Do we slather the mayo, put the onion mix and put bacon on it and keep it in fridge for a certain amount of time?

• paqman
    Options
    I would put the bacon first.

edited September 2014
    Options
    I cooked this tonight and it's a keeper. I rubbed the mayo and onion soup on the meat and on top of the bacon. Cooked at 375 direct to 135. Good eats. Thanks for posting it. ;;)
  • blakeas
    Options
    I cooked this as well yesterday - I lathered up the tenderloin with mayo, put the onion mix on, and then wrapped peppercorn bacon around it.  I got the egg to 400 direct and put the loin on.  I overcooked it though as I took it off when it hit 140 - I should have taken it off at 130.  It continued to cook and was a little well done.  Still tasted real good though!  its a keeper
  • paqman
    Options
    Pictures?

Options
    I was going to do pictures but my Bloody Mary got in my way.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    I like my pork tenderloin with a light coating of rub (and that's all).
    Dave - Austin, TX