Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    fence0407 said:
    grege345 said:
    December?????????????
    Correct - that's what I was told. Who knows though. They didn't really seem to have any idea. I quote, "I'm waiting just as anxiously as you are".

Which December?

2014, or 2015??????

X( X(

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

i can say from personal experience with a cracked platesetter and a cracked fire ring on my XL and snapped band studs on the spring loaded hinge setup, that the BGE warranty replacement process is stellar.  I also heard that KJ warranty coverage is good but a little more difficult to deal with- and the KJ comment does NOT come from personal experience.

THe KJ Jr in Black at $350 looks like an awesome deal from Costco, and unfortunately, this is not available where I am.

So, it looks like i'll get the MiniMax when (if) they come out.  Maybe it should be called the Big Green Unicorn model!

• There's more hype and hearsay on the mini max than on a new iPhone!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Our shipment came in today from our distributor.  Sorry but no Mini-Max.  Maybe in another 1-2 weeks.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Our shipment came in today from our distributor.  Sorry but no Mini-Max.  Maybe in another 1-2 weeks.
    LOL! Yup! when the next wagon pulled by that Unicorn team rolls through Nebraska! 
    No offense, Ernie!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    RRP said:

Our shipment came in today from our distributor.  Sorry but no Mini-Max.  Maybe in another 1-2 weeks.

LOL! Yup! when the next wagon pulled by that Unicorn team rolls through Nebraska! 
    No offense, Ernie!

:))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • This thread is the Seinfeld of threads. A thread about nothing! :P
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    As long as it is out by July for Porkopolis' Eggfest, I'll be happy...
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    That's wishful thinking. I might be able to get mine as a demo at 2015 egging in the mountains.
  • I have always been told late September or early October so have no idea why everyone seems they should be here yet.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    Something that still bewilders me is they say the hold up has been for months while figuring out how to crate them in just one box. Why can't an interested person just walk in to the Mother House and say they just want to buy it and carry it out the door with no crate issue at all? I still believe there is a lot more to this story!
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    edited September 2014
    There is a lot more to the story - they're just NOT going to tell us though  ;)

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Lit
    @badinfluence‌ I believe the original release dare was June when they unveiled it.
  • @rrp I was told the crate deal was not for shipping it but the crate to carry it while tailgating is what they were ting to work out so you can carry it without breaking it. Just what I was told
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • @lit never heard that but that is not saying it is not true. I was always told by my dealer tailgating season.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Well folks, I have given up waiting.  Upon learning the KJ Roadshow is at my local Costco, my feet hit the ground and there's now a fully packaged KJ Jr. sitting in my garage waiting for assembly.  Not sure if I should open it or try and wait it out to compare with the Minimax?  Also I have a $500 gift card for my local egg dealer, as AMEX was offering a $50 cash back reward when spending $250 at that dealer, of which I bought two (getting $500 credit for only $400) in anticipation of spending it on the Minimax.  

So....... been thinking.  Should I use that gift card for a Mini?  So my lineup would be Mini BGE + KJ jr + XL BGE?  Or wait it out for the Max?  

Other thoughts/questions in my mind include:
    Are there differences in the low'n'slow and/or cooking capabilities of the two (jr / max) based on their shape?  
    Are the bottom vents the same size on these two, if not, which size is better??
    Is there a solution for the ash screen for Joe Jr that anyone has worked up?
    How are people raising their mini / joe jr's to working height? (recommended tables, nesting on a nest, etc?)  I can't build a custom table and can't exactly afford to shell out for one...

You guys are the experts, so help at all would be appreciated :)
    XL BGE mother's day 2014
  • 1st post and off topic. Good for you@kunstschmeide

Clinton, Iowa
  • Sorry... should I start a new thread?  I've been following these minimax threads so furiously they've all become a blur....
    XL BGE mother's day 2014
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    @kunstschmeide‌ don't worry about it. I'm sure you'll get your answer soon enough. @Lit has a KJ maybe he can help you. I'm also sick of waiting. Btw welcome
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RRP
    @rrp I was told the crate deal was not for shipping it but the crate to carry it while tailgating is what they were ting to work out so you can carry it without breaking it. Just what I was told

That would make sense. OTOH more than one person here has been told by people at BGE that the crating issue was due to trying to put it all in just one box for shipping. At this rate of a December roll out college tailgating has already been in full swing and while pro football is still going it too is already well into the season.
  • Our shipment came in today from our distributor.  Sorry but no Mini-Max.  Maybe in another 1-2 weeks.
    Ernie, did any bottle openers come in?
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Lit
    @kunstschmeide‌ I really like my Joe junior and my mini. I'm sure I will like the mini max also when its available but its all about time right now. You got the junior with everything for $350 though so its gonna be hard to beat that. Also you don't have to put anything together with the junior just take the sides of the box off and put the grate in its all put together.
  • RRP said:
    @rrp I was told the crate deal was not for shipping it but the crate to carry it while tailgating is what they were ting to work out so you can carry it without breaking it. Just what I was told

That would make sense. OTOH more than one person here has been told by people at BGE that the crating issue was due to trying to put it all in just one box for shipping. At this rate of a December roll out college tailgating has already been in full swing and while pro football is still going it too is already well into the season.

But not you, right? You've never picked up the phone to ask the question of BGE on your own. You're just relaying 3rd hand hearsay and repeating as an authority.
  • @Lit ... wow, in that case, I don't think I'll be able to resist opening it up and getting started tonight.  Question: if you could only accompany your Jr with a Mini or a Minimax, which would you pick?  (family of four here)
    XL BGE mother's day 2014
  • @kunstschmeide‌ need to apologize for being rude. I seem to forget not everyone has multiple eggs and don't want to wait.

I would add a med. Egg to what you have not a mini when you already bought the jr. But that is just me

Clinton, Iowa
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

@crimsongator, I did call MS (see original post of this thread), and that's exactly what I was told.

The delay is caused by the "pack all in one box" issue.

First of November, HOPEFULLY.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • That's it i need a Joe jr. In red that can be my red headed stepchild.

Wait I'm going to sell all 10 of them that will teach them....yeah that's what I will do

Clinton, Iowa
  • Lit
    @kunstschmeide‌ I would get the mini over the mini max if you like the Joe junior after you use it. The mini max doesn't appear to have any advantages over the junior that I can see and the mini is still much easier to move around. You can still get 4 burgers or 4 chicken breasts on the mini if you need to or plenty of sausages and dogs. Like bad influence said you may consider a medium or even a large. I had a medium but was disappointed by the lack of accessories so I got rid of it but I have a large and XL and I probably use the large more than the XL. If you get the mini the carten is a must have.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

+1 on the egg carten.

Love mine!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jaydub58 said:

@crimsongator, I did call MS (see original post of this thread), and that's exactly what I was told.

The delay is caused by the "pack all in one box" issue.

First of November, HOPEFULLY.

Not you Jay....that is directed at good old unicorn boy