Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table "nest" question... little green egg feet?

OK, I've had my large BGE for all of five days, and I'm looking at a table. My goal will be utility, as I want motivation to put in an outdoor kitchen down the road, and putting a lot of effort into a beautiful table might dissuade me later on!

I want to use this table as a model (I've found the Naked Whiz site as well), and I noticed these little feet at the bottom of the BGE...  what are they? I haven't seen these anywhere else. Thanks in advance for your help!

LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2014
    @DeltaNu1142‌
    They are BGE feet. They use to come with the purchase of a egg. If I'm not mistaken BGE no longer manufactures them. You can buy knock offs of the feet from Lowes or Home Depot. They won't be green though. Or you can just sit your egg on a paving stone.imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    @DeltaNu1142‌
    Oh by the way. Congratulations on the egg and welcome aboard.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Egg feet, they use to be provided with all new Egg. Not sure if they are still being made.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    edited September 2014

BGE now makes a table nest, it's inexpensive. I'd recommend that above your paver to get some air under the egg. I've seen the "feet" on Ebay.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Hic said:

BGE now makes a table nest, it's inexpensive. I'd recommend that above your paver to get some air under the egg. I've seen the "feet" on Ebay.

Agreed here. Table nest replace the feet and works better to protect your table.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    If you are dead set on feet you can get theses for a little of nothing.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Primo also sales a 4 pack of black feet.image

Status- Standing by.

• Whoo... I've heard mention of fires with wood tables. Mine will have an air gap above a stone or concrete base, I'll be sure of that.

For the sides, I've mostly seen air gaps. What about flexible insulation of some sort... Nomex? Hi-temp silicone?
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • I have never seen these feet, but really neat idea! Another option is a stand with high temp paint.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Fwiw...wait a while on the table. I know you're excited but egg a while to really know what you need and/or want. Things change quickly once you get into it. Again, jmho.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    @henapple  Very true.  If you build a table for one Egg, before you know it you will have another.  This one won't have a home.  Accessories also pile up.  LOL
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • henapple said:
    Fwiw...wait a while on the table. I know you're excited but egg a while to really know what you need and/or want. Things change quickly once you get into it. Again, jmho.
    Good advice, but my long-term plan is an outdoor kitchen. The table--which I'll start on this weekend, if I have my way--will be a stop-gap measure to give me someplace to manage the grates, platesetter, coal, tools, etc. without taking up the patio table.
  • If it is stop gap, build it out of wood that is good for smoking with and don't apply finish.  Then when your kitchen is done you will have a source of smoke wood and will not feel like you have wasted the money on the table.  Just kidding!
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • @DeltaNu1142 FWIW, I would go with the table nest and at a minimum the feet. I previously used pavers under my egg and that set up did not provide enough airflow under the base and I suspect it resulted in my cracked base. I did a cursory survey of thsoe with cracked bases and I think that more often than not, they also used pavers. 

Large BGE, Chicago, IL
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited September 2014
    @DeltaNu1142 FWIW, I would go with the table nest and at a minimum the feet. I previously used pavers under my egg and that set up did not provide enough airflow under the base and I suspect it resulted in my cracked base. I did a cursory survey of thsoe with cracked bases and I think that more often than not, they also used pavers. 

Thanks LPE--I bought a table nest yesterday. I will likely have construction done on the table and start on staining over the weekend. After seeing some photos of the destruction caused by poorly-insulated shelves... why WOULDN'T you get a table nest? It's $21 out the door from the dealer.
  • If it is stop gap, build it out of wood that is good for smoking with and don't apply finish.  Then when your kitchen is done you will have a source of smoke wood and will not feel like you have wasted the money on the table.  Just kidding!

How does pine smoke taste? :D