Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two pork butts on the egg

Options
Ok, so I just putt two butts on. 8.5lbs and 6.7 lbs. Temp at 250. I want to go to sleep now (midnight). Any guess on what time they may stall?

I want to wrap and add some apple vinegar and juice. I plan on pulling and wrApping in towels and cooler at 200. I don't want to eat till tomorrow night. Should I do something different?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You can drop temp to 200-225 and you will be fine through the night. Then in the morning when you wrap you can crank the heat up with no harm to quality at all. I do this very thing quite often my friend with excellent results.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Brahmabull
    Options
    Well it is 6:00 am. Just checked butts and they both were at 170. Does this mean they never stalled out? Egg thermo was at 230. I wrapped and put apple vin and juice mix. How long would you guess I should let them go before taking off egg and putting in cooler? I don't want to eat till this evening.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    If you wrapped in foil they are going to be done sooner than later.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    Options
    If it was me I would not wrap. Also I would drop temp to 225 to prolong the cook. Just my thoughts my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    As mentioned, wrapping will accelerate the cooking. If you want this for this evening, unwrap and drop the temp to 225*. At 170* there is a good chance it is already through the stall. If you unwrap and drop temp I am guesstimating a 2:00PM-ish finish at which point you can FTC.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Brahmabull
    Options
  • SGH
    Options
    Foil, Tent, Cooler.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    When your butt is done if you wish to hold it then wrap in foil. =F
    Then tent with towels. =T
    Then place in a cooler.=C
    Hence-FTC.

Status- Standing by.

• Brahmabull
    Options
    Oh yeah. I was going to do that.

So I unwrapped and my egg temp had fallen so I need to get back up a little. At this point, what do you think? Leave as is till they hit 200 then FTC??
  • SGH
    Options
    You can pull anywhere between 195-205. I prefer to pull at 195 myself. Why? The internal temp will continue to rise a few degrees once removed from the smoker. I find 195 to be spot on.

Status- Standing by.

• Brahmabull
    Options
    Ok. Once I FTC, will they be ok till this evening??
  • SGH
    Options
    Yes sir. They sure will.

Status- Standing by.

• Brahmabull
    Options
    Thanks for the help
  • SGH
    Options
    Always glad to help when I can my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    If you drop your egg temp to 225 you will not have a real long FTC period. I would definitely drop temp my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Brahmabull
    Options
    My temp on the bigger one is kind of all over the place.
  • SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    If possible take a dead center temp measurement in the thickest part. That is the temp to go by.

Status- Standing by.

• grege345
    Options
    Make sure you check temp away from bones

• Brahmabull
    Options
    Now it looks like it has stabilized at 170
  • Brahmabull
    Options
    Yep. Did those things.
  • grege345
    Options
    Your good now. @195 see if the bone wiggles. If the bone is loose then its time to FTC. After the FTC the bone will pull clean and pull know your in for good eats.

• SGH
    Options
    Just let the egg run at 225 and all will turn out good. You are still a good jump from 195. Time is on your side at this point.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Brahmabull‌
    How did it turn out?

Status- Standing by.

• Brahmabull
    Options
    Great!! I just pulled the pork. Will post a pic in a few. Here is one before I FTC'd it.
  • SGH
    Options
    Glad it turned out well.

Status- Standing by.

• Brahmabull
    Options
    Here is the bigger one after pulling.
  • SGH
    Options
    I like what I'm seeing. Hope that you enjoy.

Status- Standing by.

• grege345
    Options
    How long did you end up with FTC?