Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs ---Flat vs in a vrack?

Options
I was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference between cooking babybacks or St Louis ribs laying flat on the grate vs standing in a rib rack?

Im headed off to the store. SWMBO has requested ribs and end of the trail beans for dinner tonight.

I have been doing them laying flat since only do 2 racks when its just the two of us but was curious if anyone thinks one way or the other is better ?

Thanks
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I always thought racks were just to maximize space. 
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I use to maximize space. You need to position carefully to make sure they don't touch. I haven't noticed any difference in taste. They seem to need a few more minutes to cook.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Only time you will notice a difference is if you foil them with honey and brown sugar and butter
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    In the Egg I always cook flat, bone side down and never flip.....my thought is if cooked in a rack, some of the juices would run off. In reality, it probably makes no difference
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    MBGE owner, most racks must be reduced to 1/2 racks to stay in the setter shadow. If cooking more than one rack, the extender and or rib rack is used, never noticed a difference in taste. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • llrickman
    Options
    Thanks. I was kinda thinking the same thing. I picked up St. Louis this time they do hand over the plate setter some but I just put foil under them. I think it's time to replace the gasket I got from RRP though. Just been using it to much to take t apart lol I got smoke coming out all over :) Grainger here was doing a remodel the other day and got rid of all the metal counters they had picked one up to set next to the egg has a stainless steel top be good for food prep
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    If you are not competing where appearance makes a big difference the V rack will allow a much greater volume.  You might want to rotate them a couple times during the cook as those in the center will likely cook a bit slower.
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    I did 4 racks yesterday with a v-rack.  Space issue.  Turned out wonderful.  2.5hr at 225 and sprayed with apple juice every 15-20 min.  Then foiled for 1.25 hr then direct with sauce for 15-20 min.  Wonderful.  They go great with lemon meringue pie.  :)

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)