Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just broke my platesetter

Options
I was doing a cleaning burn and tried to flip my plate setter.  Even though I had welding gloves on and leather gloves for makeshift hot pads I still burned my fingers and dropped the plate-setter breaking off one of the legs.   Any chance of finding something to bond the ceramic and still be able to use the plate-setter? 
Calhoun, GA - LBGE

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Moral of the story?

A hot platesetter does not  a flapjack make. 

Hope your fingers are ok. You can always buy another platesetter.

New Albany, Ohio 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Get some JB Weld- depending on where the leg broke it should hold and withstand the heat. If not repairable I would go with the adjustable rig instead of another platesetter
    Greensboro, NC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Over the years I've heard many people try to repair a broken leg, but have yet to hear of one lasting very long. Seems like the best use has been people who have taken an angle grinder and whacked off the other two legs. That way they at least have a heat deflector for indirect cooks. BTW I would not try to merely break off the others with a hammer as you can't get a clean break, nor be certain just where it will break.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Rutland makes a refractory cement that may work. Cotronics has a product too, but I forget the item number. JB Weld is a temp fix at best. RRP may be right though. He's been at this since 1908 or so. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Nicholas_Wetton
    Options
    I've tried so many different types of heat resistant gloves. None have provided enough protection when I try to change my configuration mid cook and remove the plate setter. Last week I ended up cracking my plate setter when I nearly dropped it to save my fingers. Any suggestions wise people?
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Right, @Carolina Q.......RRP has been at this since before hens were laying Big Green Eggs!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Any suggestions wise people?

Yes. Have a spot picked out in advance. A nearby spot! Use welders gloves (or better) and maybe hot pads as well. Also, be quick. Better yet, just don't do it. I don't remember the last time I messed with it. If it goes in, it stays in.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Yet another casualty of the infamous "clean burn". 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I use these gloves for moving the plate setter. Work fine for normal temps, but would I would not be moving anything at clean burn temps.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

When mine broke a leg, it was warrantied......so I took an angle grinder to the two other legs and made a pizza stone out of it.

If the other ever breaks out of warranty, I'm going to get a cast iron one. 

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    If it broke on the vertical part of the leg , it will still fit in a woo 2 .

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    Options
    I made these tools, the one on the left picks up the platesetter and hangs on a hook under the table, hot or cold.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Plate setter lifter. My dealer sells these. I may get one for $20. http://www.kcbbqsource.com/big-green-egg-plate-setter-claw-lifting-device/ The cast would be cool, pricey.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    Nomex gloves will comfortably get a plate setter from off of the grill to whatever heat-proof surface you're using (I use silicone trivets).
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Options
    Where do you live? I just got an AR for my large and a Woo for my medium, so I don't need my plate setters any longer.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I have a large plate setter I'd part with reasonably - I use a cast iron one from Innovations By Chance
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • alabamatom
    Options
    Each to his own, as the old southern saying goes. Never ever did a clean burn, but I do make pizzas....... 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Mines had a broken leg for some time, still works fine. The broken piece fits right on it , I just set it in place and the grate holds it there
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    Options
    A lot of good advice and recommendations.   Thank you all for the information!
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Bullibe said:
    I made these tools, the one on the left picks up the platesetter and hangs on a hook under the table, hot or cold.
    Send me one of those! Great idea. Seriously though.....send me one. 
    Dallas, TX
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    You need a Plate Setter Lifter.
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have Tucker Burn Guard Silicon gloves.  I have lifted a hot platesetter out several times with these, and have never felt a thing so far.  Mind you, they cost me almost $100 Cdn.  I would not try this at clean burn temps though.
    Winnipeg, Canada