Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Antler for a handle

Options
I have a nice piece of antler I bought at the pet store that I was wanting to use as a handle for my LBGE. I have been told that squirrels and other vermin are attracted to antler. What can I finish the antler with to discourage these vermin from eating my handle?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    they shouldnt bother your handle. Rodents so like chewing on it but I doubt they will get it on your egg.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Cremaster
    Options
    Thanks Travisstrick
    What about the cut end and back that are porous? should i seal them?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I make zipper tugs with antler tips and while I don't worry about rodents chewing them I have found that the cut ends will burnish well thus sealing them. Just hold the piece tight in a vise and then either using a burnisher or a piece of smooth steel and work from the outside to the center and the pores will disappear and the end becomes hard.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP‌
    That's down right awesome right there.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cremaster
    Options
    Thanks Ron.
    I've found that it soaks up urethane varnish like a sponge. I'll give burnishing a try 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP‌ That's down right awesome right there.
    Thanks - I know you live down South, but up here in the winter and with big heavy gloves on it's handy to have a large tug to grab.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Cremaster said:
    Thanks Travisstrick
    What about the cut end and back that are porous? should i seal them?

I wouldnt bother. Our ancestors used antler for many many things. I think the bone will last much longer than the egg.
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    No doubt brother. I have worked in the North quite a bit through the years. The winters are definitely extreme compared to ours. Again that is awesome my friend. Excellent job.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• travisstrick
    Options
  • SGH
    Options
    That's very nice as well brother Strick!

Status- Standing by.

• Jr0746
    Jr0746 Posts: 4
    Options
    The only thing I would worry about would be bugs. They like to eat the antlers overtime. You might try putting something like a clear finish like polyurethane