Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - don't buy cheap grill brushes...

Options
2»

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Maccool said:
    Anybody ever put their grill in their home oven and turn it onto "self-clean"?

I tried using a pumice rock "griddle cleaner" for awhile but found that it left a kind of funky residue on the grill. Currently, I mostly use a scotchbrite griddle cleaner
    Your egg has a self-clean cycle available. Just pull the dome thermometer and open up the bottom draft door and remove the DFMT.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    That's a good call with the larger bristles @RRP .. I bought a couple of the wire mesh variety after an article like this came out a couple years ago .. but even those break up after a while.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I use a wirebrush now, not a cheap one, however after brushing I soak a paper towel in Canola oil and wipe the grill using bbq tongs and the soaked paper towel. If there were any wires on the grill they would be cleaned off. Plus it keeps the meat from sticking.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I don't get it. Are these loose bristles clinging to the grids?
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    @Maccool .. i do the self-oven cleaning with my Weber Gasser Cast Iron cooking grids. Works great!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder.  I think about that every time I clean mine and say....."But it won't happen to me".  Gonna switch to balled up foil from now on.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    @Maccool .. i do the self-oven cleaning with my Weber Gasser Cast Iron cooking grids. Works great!
    Yah. Could fry it in the BGE at high temp, but it's usually just easier to throw the thing in the oven, set the self-clean cycle and walk away. Gotta clean the oven periodically anyway.
  • scottc454
    Options
    Very simple - just check the grate after you brush it for loose bristles. I sure as hell am not going to do a self clean cycle every time I cook something.

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    scottc454 said:
    Very simple - just check the grate after you brush it for loose bristles. I sure as hell am not going to do a self clean cycle every time I cook something.

Sorry for the confusion. That wasn't the suggestion. On a day-to-day basis I scrape, then scrub with a scotchbrite griddle cleaner moistened with some peanut oil. Eventually, over time, the insides, crosspieces, and undersides get crudded up to the point where occasional terminal decarbonization is needed. Self-cleaning cycle in the oven has been as effective as other things I've tried for that occasional cleaning.