Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt @ 220

Options
EggyLoew
EggyLoew Posts: 9
edited August 2014 in Pork
As context this is my 4th cook... pork butt was awesome but it is beyond me why all the forums say budget 2 hours per pound. This guy was 4.73 pounds (bone-in) and took 19 hours to reach 200 degrees at 220. No foil inside the dome during the cook. I kicked the dome to 250 degrees at hour 15-16. I've failed to deliver on lunch for both butt's I've cooked, and needed to push to dinner. Anything I'm doing wrong? Regardless, I'm going to do 275-300 next round. And before anyone mentions it, I dropped the sauce, cheese, and bread for the next two helpings - the meat was best on it's own.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Are you using a pit controller(based on your probes in the first picture)? If not, the dome temp at 220 means the grid temp is around 190. I do my butts around 250ish(235-275) dome and go about 1.5 hours per lb.

I'd guess with a pit controller you still see the temperature difference though not as much, since air is being forced in at times.

Either way, bump the temp up and you'll be fine.
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    @EggyLoew  I have the same experience with the Butt.  I just plan 22 hours for a 7lb or such.  Can not tell you how many times lunch turned into a dinner.

I think @Eggcelsior has a point about the temps.  Next time I am going to bump the dome temp to 270.  Not only do I think that it will cook it faster, I think that it will keep the meat moist.  I find it a bit dry after a 22 hour cook.  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It looks like it turned out great, but wow that is a long time. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's