Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg - help me get started!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in the past in this forum but truthfully I just got tired of digging through the archives. I know its a generic question but please have mercy and help out a egg noob. [p]Well my family got me a large egg for Christmas this year and to date I've cooked on it twice, including Christmas dinner (two full beef tenderloins) and so far I love it. My bbq/grilling experiance so far in life is pretty much limited to all direct style stuff. So what do I need to get and how do I start to take advantage of the slow cooking ability of the egg? And what is a "place setter" anyway and where do I get one?[p]Any advice will be greatly appreciated - planning on cooking on it for the Super Bowl so I gotta get some practice.[p]Thanks
C.

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    conundrum, all parts you can get right from here at biggreenegg.com,
    Big Green Egg
    Factory Store
    and
    Retail Mail/Phone Orders
    3417 Lawrenceville Hwy
    Tucker,GA 30084-5802
    Telephone: (770) 934-5300
    Retail Fax: (770) 934-5399
    Hours: Mon-Sat 9:30am-5:30pm ET
    Serving retail customers in Atlanta GA and the continental United States

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    conundrum,
    A plate setter looks like a pizza stone with three L shaped legs (extend out and then down) You can get one from BGE or wherever yours was purchased. Back in the date folks bought real plate setters which are used in ceramic kilns. Now BGE makes one that is thicker and larger so that the legs fit on top of the fire ring and you can place a grate on top of it. My last pizza experience which led to some burnt crusts was with the legs down and the pizza stone on top. I think next time I'll try legs up and the stone on top of a grate that I'll rest on the upturned legs. If that is not better I'll go back to a grate with a but load of firebricks and the stone on top.[p]Dennis

• conundrum,[p]Yeah, a plate setter is a must. I'd also strongly recommend the v-rack. I don't have too many "eggcessories." but I consider these two items essential.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    conundrum,
    The Naked Whiz has an excellent web site that has helped me and countless others. I put the link for his FAQ's on ceramic cooking below but there is a wealth of information there besides the FAQ's. In addition to the Whiz there are also many valuable resources that fellow Egger's also have on their websites. Some of them are WessB's at http://www.wessb.com/ and Dizzy Pig at http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipes.html. Those web sites as well as many others do it to make us a better BBQ'ers and they do it for the love of it. So if I have not said it awhile thanks fellows for such great web sites. Also just read the forum from top to bottom. All here are friendly so please any and all questions. Have fun good luck and Happy New Year.

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    conundrum,[p]You can do lo n slo cooks direct. Just close the slider door down to about 1/8" at it's largest opening.[p]If you want to something that requires a drip pan a v-rack and a cheap aluminum pan will get you by.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro