Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Montreal Smoked Meat inspired by @biggreenmatt @pantsypants @TexanOfTheNorth

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,515
edited August 2014 in Beef
Followed recipe posted by @biggreenmatt, with lots of help from @pantsypants and @nolaegghead. Thanks guys.
Amazing flavour, similar to Schwartz's if I may say so.  Soaked for 8 hours after the cure with frequent water change, came out just right, not too salty.

Lesson learned: After the 9 hour smoke (last 5 in foil) @ 225-250F the meat jiggled like jello, IT was 205'ish and I collected few cups of juice.  I think it was way over cooked.  I steamed for 2 hours instead of 3; a tad dry but texture was still good. Next time I'll smoke till IT around 175F, not by time, duh! 
:\">

deep fried baby squid tentacles for appetizer

served with light rye bread, hot mustard, pickle and hand cut double fried fries. Yum!

canuckland

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Wow! =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a home run to me! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have no idea what Montreal Smoked Meat is all about, but I know I want to do this.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @Canugghead‌
    I just looked at it again. WOW!!'

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL @SGH @DMW thanks for your kind words.  Think pastrami, but MSM is way better!
    canuckland
  • SGH
    Options
    @Canugghead‌
    You are more than welcome my friend. Solid cook.

Status- Standing by.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That looks way better than pastrami for sure!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    Options
    Any of y'all heard from TOTN? Haven't seen him posting in a while.

Status- Standing by.

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    amazing !! it looks tender and perfect .

if its dry i would recommend cutting it thinner , for sandwiches .

I cant wait for you to bring me all your leftovers at Niagra Eggfest !! oh and feel free to throw in some of that delicious looking squid .

@SGH , I have heard from TOTN , I know he has been busy with stuff , but I also know we will be going for lunch this week ,
    Toronto
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Did you use a point? Flat? Full packer?

What is the link to the original thread/recipe?

Now, I really want to do this!

edited August 2014
    Options
    @pantsypants not sure about leftover, we have a long weekend to attack it you know!

@paqman I'm not sure what it's called, the slab is just over 12 lbs. The internal size of that pan in second photo is 20"x13". Here's the link:
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @pantsypants I did slice thin, the thick slices in the last photo are the end cuts.
    canuckland
  • pantsypants
    Options
    it looks great !! i hope your enjoying it .
    I am going to start one this week i think .

Toronto
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2014
    Options
    in time for Niagara?
    ya everyone loves it! thanks to you!
    canuckland
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Probably in time for niagra but it's not on the menu
    Toronto
  • SGH
    Options
    @pantsypants‌
    Tell brother TOTN hello and that his presence is missed. Will be glad when he returns.

Status- Standing by.

• biggreenmatt
    biggreenmatt Posts: 67
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Nice work, @Canugghead‌! It's a killer recipe, but as flattering as it'd be to take credit, it's not mine. I've refined it a little (I like a sweeter, spicier cure, more like Smoke Meat Pete than Schwartz's) and helped to popularize it a bit, but I didn't invent it. Wish I did! I've been playing around with Texas brisket this summer a lot and spending some good, quality time with brisket (god I love brisket), and after smoking easily a half-dozen it makes me annoyed at the method, if not the cure. 203F is the sweet spot for brisket, and, looking back at the instructions, it's madness to smoke it north of 203F on day 1, and then to steam it north of 203F on day 2. As proof: I'm guessing you had some dry, overcooked, hardened bark on the bottom, and the point was crumbly in parts. Overcooked- which isn't your fault, but a fundamental problem in the instructions of the recipe. I have two thoughts to correct that I intend to test in the next while. First, smoke for four hours or until the stall is well and truly hit (~170F), and then steam up to 203F. Second, and the method that I think makes more intuitive sense, would be to smoke to 203F, throw it in a faux cambro for an hour or two, slice and serve. As I write this, I'm in my backyard with a smoked brisket in the cambro. Slicing off not-quite-done slices, it's a beautiful piece of meat, cooked exactly right (man, it's tasty!!), but I know that the texture will improve immensely over then next 2-3 hours while sitting in the cambro. I'll post once I've done some testing. Meanwhile, for our American (and beyond!) friends who don't know what MSM is: http://www.mrbbq.ca/2010/01/smoked-meat-pastrami-beef-brisket.html
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    F'n awesome dude!
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Thanks biggreenmatt, actually it wasn't that bad, no burned bottom, not crumbly but more like shreddy at the point. We had lot of leftover that we finished on day 3,4,5 ... I sliced as needed and steamed for 10 minutes only.
    canuckland