Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Stand Mixers

I'd like to get one of the Kitchen Aid stand mixers.  Does anyone have any experience with them - or any other brand.   Right now, the main thing I want to do with it is mix up pizza dough.  My arms are killing me from kneading.

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I have one of the cheaper KA models and I like it. It can handle pizza dough batches made with 1kg of flour.

KA is about the best for the home cook... you will give it to your children. My mom had my grandmothers for almost 50 years before she had to replace it...
  • Cheapest one from Home Depot lives with me. Great for small batches of dough. That thing is very heavy! I want the meat grinder attachment and the grain mill for brewing/distilling!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    @Farbuck I have had mine for about 35 years, use it a lot and it is still going strong. It really is a workhorse. Even the cheaper models will Knead Pizza dough with ease.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Love mine, and have just about every attachment i can think of, the only ones I really use though are the grinder and the pasta roller. They are great machines.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • I have never met anyone who has told me they had to run out and buy something to replace their broken KA mixer.  My only issue that I have had, I bought a small one and want a bigger one, lol.  I have a ton of the attachments and they rock, especially the pasta roller, GREAT all in one home cook tool! It's like the BGE of kitchen mixing

*yes, they are so expensive 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Keep in mind that KA used to be made by Hobart. I have a newer one (Artisan) and it's been fine so far, but I won't be surprised if it dies well before 35 years! You might try one of the no knead doughs. Mix ingredients, cover and walk away. Come back tomorrow and bake a pie. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Keep in mind that KA used to be made by Hobart. I have a newer one (Artisan) and it's been fine so far, but I won't be surprised if it dies well before 35 years! You might try one of the no knead doughs. Mix ingredients, cover and walk away. Come back tomorrow and bake a pie. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html
    Well there you go... taking all the fun outta' buying a new toy :(
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    We got the 6qt. mixer with bowl lift (not tilt head) and it appears to be a beast  Also got the pasta roller and the meat grinder and all works as advertised.  we are very pleased with how everything works. Best part is it was all free as a 35 years of service gift from my employer.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Have the same as @bettysnephew, ours is 8 years old called the Pro 600 and had the plastic bevel gear housing. Easy to get replacement parts and works like a champ now. I think all the newer models have the metal housings. 
    Great for pizza dough. The grinder works for smaller batches, less than 5# of grinding and the shredder will disassemble a cabbage in no time. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Mine is about 2 years old and the packaging did mention metal gears. It should last a long time.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I love my big Kitchenaide Pro 600. It will tackle any task I hand it with ease. If you shop right you can get the price down from the MSRP of $500 to less than $200. Seriously! I did it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Be cognoscente of the watts each machine will put out. Kneading dough with too small a motor will definitely kill it ahead of its time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    They've been my project on and off the last few months. The last two I bought off Craigslist for $20 and $25. Both KA Hobart.

In the mid 80's Kitchenaid was bought out by Whirlpool. After a few years Whirlpool started using their own products inside Kitchenaid. They dropped Hobart and started cheapening the mixers. Smaller motors and switched to nylon gearing (except the pro series).

I remember reading a quote from some KA Hobart forum member:

”Kitchen Aid Hobart mixers will last forever plus one additional day”.

If you can find a used KA Hobart for cheap I would highly recommend it.

Going to give one to mom, sisters, and sister in law as Christmas gifts this year. Repacked new synthetic grease into them. Should be good for many years yet.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Check at kohls keep an eye on the ad. I got a kitchenaid pro 600 series for my wife n I for $355 after all the discounts I did use a kohls charge was able to get 30% off plus sales they were having Have picked up the pasta maker, grinder , sausage stuffer
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Try a Zojirushi Bread Machine for making pizza dough..lot easier than a stand mixer, and you can make awesome bread with little work also.

That's what we do..

I think King Arthur Flour did a test a ways back - Zo vs KA Stand Mixers for doughs..and found the Zo won hands down..

Also - KA got bought out some years back, and "they don't make 'em like they used to"..so, the people lucky enough to have one from decades back are lucky - cuz you can't buy 'em made the same anymore.  (For a few years they were even using plastic parts in the drive assembly, which failed quickly..lots of bad reviews on Amazon..I think they switched back to metal, but the whole build quality has gone WAY downhill from the mixers made in the 50s and 60s..Too bad, because they used to be a pretty good unit.,.)
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @RRP‌ how did you get that for 200 bucks? That's a steal.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    I read on the other BGE forum someone bought the KA Pro 600 for less than $100 from Kohls. They gave the details of how they did it. Now that really is a steal.
  • Carolina Q
    EggerinLA said:
    I read on the other BGE forum someone bought the KA Pro 600 for less than $100 from Kohls. They gave the details of how they did it. Now that really is a steal.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=1163590

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    texaswig said:
    @RRP‌ how did you get that for 200 bucks? That's a steal.

I was going to answer your question about my buy, but I see CarolinaQ already linked you back to even a better deal. Mine started the same way finding a dirt low sales price at a reputable online dealer and printed that out and took it with me. One twist that helped me save another $51 was Kohl's senior citizen discount which may even start at age 60 but I don't know as I was already over 65 then.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    That's crazy! thanks guys I will use this for sure.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • EggerinLA
    Considering RRP posted in Carolina's link above when it happened, he should of given credit where credit was due.
  • Carolina Q
    EggerinLA said:
    Considering RRP posted in Carolina's link above when it happened, he should of given credit where credit was due.

Huh? Neither of us are looking for "credit". Use the info if you can, that's all.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggerinLA
    Ronnie understood even if you are too dense to understand it.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    ^^^^^^^^^
    =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2014

You could even throw in another discount on top of that.......buy Kohl's gift cards using Discover Cashback or Citi ThankYou Points.  You get the gift cards at a 5-10% discount.

I have had a Pro 600 for 9 yrs.......great machine.  My parents have had good luck with their 350 watt 5-qt commercial model they ordered from a restaurant supply store 20 yrs ago.

The only thing I did replace on both was the stock flat whisk with the aftermarket one with scrapper "fins" from Amazon.  It saves you from having to scrape down the sides of the bowl every few minutes.

• RRP
    edited August 2014
    EggerinLA said:
    Ronnie understood even if you are too dense to understand it.

huh? I haven't seen the ball since kickoff! LOL