Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Frozen Steaks

Options
Just got the latest Cook's Illustrated delivered.  Interesting test on cooking frozen steaks vs cooking frozen then thawed steaks.  Their results:
1.  Time to brown was the same
2.  Frozen steaks lost less moisture
3.  In taste test  -  "tasters unanimously preferred the cooked-from-frozen steaks to their thawed counterparts"

They used steaks that appear to be about 1 to 1 1/4 inch. seared first then finished in 275 oven until medium rare (125F).
Southeast Florida - LBGE
In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Interesting I've subscribed to the room temp idea
    Jacksonville FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    I'm wondering if you can caveman a frozen steak. I have some nice NY strips frozen that are ~3/4" thick.  I've been afraid to caveman them, too much risk to overcook, but maybe if they're frozen this might balance.  @hapster any thoughts as resident caveman expert?
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    What do you mean by "Caveman" it?
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Legume
    Options
    cook it directly on the coals - get a good bed of hot coals and put the steak directly on them for a short period of time, flip, take off.  hapster has posted on it several times, others have as well.  very quick cook, nice sear/crust and can keep it nice and red in the middle if you do it right.
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    Thank you @Legume!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Legume check this out on caveman steaks http://youtu.be/hhDTcHFLP7Y
  • Legume
    Options
    thanks for the video.  steaks definitely looked thawed, I think I'm going to go ahead and try this with frozen strips since they're so thin.  no way I'm trying that sauce though.  I love peppers and heat, but I can't imagine you could even taste those steaks with that mess of hot oil and peppers.
  • alabamatom
    Options
    I read the article too. I am not so sure about cooking frozen steaks the cook's illustrated way. Their method may work using a fry pan, but I think the reverse sear where you take the steak off at 110 to 115 deg. may compensate for the over cooking that occurred when they put the steak into the hot fry pan. The steak is then under a hot fire for only 1 or 2 minutes, so the outer part of the steak will only be over their 140 deg. moisture barrier temp. for a short time.

But if I was cooking a steak on the Egg in a cast iron skillet  to make some sauce, I would definitely try the frozen method.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Can someone summarize their technique?  Some of the points I have a question about:

1.  Directly from the freezer to the grill?  No thaw at all?

2.  What kind of grill temps?  Hot, medium, or lower?  Did they change it throughout the cook?

3.  Did they flip frequently?  They've advocated that technique in the past and it would seem to be better for this type of cook.

4.  Did the steaks take a lot longer on the grill?

My concern would be that you end up with excessive "heat bleed" (edge browning past the surface) and a very rare center.  If they are suggesting this technique, I would assume that didn't happen.

My defrost times are quick because I use my SV machine.  Depending on the steak and thickness, I either set it at room temp or I do a real SV at ~125.  But, I'm always intrigued my new techniques.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    What is a SV machine?
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    What is a SV machine?

SV is short for sous vide
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The main point is that you get less heat bleed from the frozen steak. This was a comparison that starts with frozen steaks. Their point is that it is not necessary to thaw the steak first. In fact it is better to not thaw it. They used a fry pan and oven, but the heat principles are the same for the grill. "Using our preferred method, we seared both sets of steaks in a hot skillet for 90 seconds per side and then transferred them to a 275-degree oven until they reached 125 degrees, or medium-rare." The time to sear did not matter but time in oven did "Not surprisingly, the frozen steaks took longer to finish cooking through in the oven (18 to 22 minutes versus 10 to 15 minutes for the thawed steaks). " Of course total time for the thawed steaks was longer after adding time to thaw. Of course using a SV machine is a different world.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• alabamatom
    Options
    Here is the article. I may try it with a thin rib eye I got from Aldi's  a while ago.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @jtcBoynton‌
    A fellow forum member who I consider a good friend and a very accomplished chef has some very interesting thoughts on this matter. He was actually speaking to me about this subject a few days ago. I can't explain it as well as he can so I will leave it to him. His handle is. @nolaegghead‌. He can make you really rethink what you may believe to be correct. He had some very interesting thoughts on the subject backed up by hard data. If this type of cooking appeals to you then you should seek his council. He can really enlighten you on the subject.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I posted this link a few days ago, the video explains a lot. I have been cooking my steaks like this for a long time, LOVE the results and so will u! http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1562221/#Comment_1562221
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    The next one I cook I will sear caveman , I'm sure it will be awesome!
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    Though I have found it hard to insert the 732 probe into the frozen meat  :))
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I wonder if it's the same with frozen wings?  I'll have to do some experimentation and get back to you guys.  :)

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is interesting.  In the video @GalanteNate_OneEa posted it looks like they are basically pan frying the steak for the sear.  Also note that he states they still prefer a fresh steak overall.  I assume that means a fresh (never frozen) steak still wins, but if you need to freeze a steak, it is best not to defrost it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    You can try it yourself, frozen steak beats out traditional cooked fresh steak, reverse sear is very close. You can sear any way you want, I've used a gasser, torch, pan, and next time I plan on caveman sear. Don't get me wrong, if you go out and spend $$$ on a cut, even though I know how good it is frozen, I would still cook it fresh. But meat from my local butcher goes right into the freezer. It pretty much dummy proofs you cook as well since we all know how quick the jump is from med-rare to Sh%# is when you're cooking at 500F, not so quick at 275. Plus another bonus is since you are cooking at such a low temp, there is no overshot during the rest period. Normally you pull at 125F and during the rest it climbs to 135F. This method you pull at 135, and it stays 135F.
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Thanks @GalanteNate_OneEa for the tips- I will definitely try it.  I have always thought that defrosting the steak was necessary, and to be honest frozen steaks usually tend to stay in my freezer forever because I'm bad at planning ahead!  I have a frozen ribeye in the freezer now and plan to try it. I'm working from home today do maybe for lunch! ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Lol, I was king of leaving frozen steaks in the freezer and just buying a fresh one when I had a craving. Like you said, who has the time, especially on a weeknight, to defrost and cook, not this guy lol. Now, twice a year, around Christmas and Easter, prime rib goes on sale, normally about 50% off, and I buy the biggest one I can find, cut it into cowboys and freeze. They turn out awesome every time. You will be happy! Post the results!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I regularly cook steaks frozen.   Not by plan, but if I don't have them fresh/thawed I don't let it stop me as the results have been good.

It will take a little longer so depending on the heat of your fire you do risk burning the steak while the inside reaches the desired temperature.  That would occasionally happen on the gasser but never on the egg.  Also, since I cook with the egg closed I feel like the steak has more time to absorb the lump flavor.

The only hiccup (if you cook without a temp probe) is it messes up your cooking time.  So if you are usually a 1 flip cook guy...the timing of when you flip and how long you leave it on the other side will throw you.  I've definitely undercooked more steaks and had to throw them back on the grill.   This is eaggerated with particularly thick steaks.  In that case, I prefer them thawed.

$.02
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I couldn't find that ribeye in the freezer yesterday...but I plan to try this soon! 

On a positive note, while freezer diving I found an brand new bottle of Patrone I didn't know I had 
    <:-P

• Legume
    Options
    fwiw, I tried cooking frozen, thin (~3/4") strips caveman-style over the weekend and while they were ok to eat, I consider it a fail as the finished product under-delivered on the starting product.  They really needed some time to defrost/roast.  I still got a nice med/rare in the middle, but the middle was small d/t excessive cooking on the outside.  Basically, it took longer to thaw in the middle than I anticipated for a steak this size and I had to overcook it to get the middle above 80F.  Might work with something 1/2" or less like skirt steak or flap meat, but thicker than that and it needs to roast after the sear, like in the article.
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @Legume.  I think when cooking from frozen the roast portion (cook indirect or at least raised direct) of the cook becomes a necessity.  Whether you sear first or after (reverse sear), I think you have to roast the meat for some time to avoid the situation you described.  

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    The only way to cook a frozen steak is at a low temp, anywhere between 225 and 275, the thicker the cut the lower temp I use. To go direct or normal temp of 450-600 will not work. The sear in the beginning is only 3-4 min per side and will not affect the core temp.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Then I must have been eating fairy dust GalanteNate, because I've had some awesome steaks grilled frozen at normal temps!   :))

With full respect, I hear you, though...and understand a purist may find a lot of reasons that it is not acceptable. 
    I usually opt for simplicity and am usually happy with my results.    ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌ if you can pull it off, more power to you, I was more speaking to @Legume‌ if you freeze you steaks solid, and I normally go ones 3" thick, only because I split it with my wife lol, I need to go slow. Trust me what ever works for you,keep with it, I've notice no matter what advice people give me, sometimes I can't make it work
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    If you have an hour or two, you can easily defrost sealed frozen steaks by putting them in a deep bowl filled with hot water. If you refill with hot water or not, even when the water cools off the process continues and they''re at room temp very quickly.
    Judy in San Diego