Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What To Do in St. Augustine

Options
Going up to St. Augustine in a few days to spend a week in a beach house. No Eggin' unless someone nearby wants to share. I know about the fort and the fountain. Taking the hot wife and two young boys. Wanting to make just a few plans besides gin & tonics and Volusia Speedway. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    We usually stay at the "Conch House" great food and marina.

Also like to go to Vilano Beach, as it has some unique brown sand from tossed around shells. Use the sand in arts & craft projects.

If you get a chance go to Casa Monica Hotel for breakfast, they have great pastries.

Just a day trip from Melbooring, but never seem to make it just for one day.  Enjoy!
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Goto Palm Coast (20 min drive approximately) and go to Mezzaluna in the old European Village. Very good Italian food and there was a gelato place last time we were there.

101 Palm Harbor Pkwy
    Palm Coast‎ Florida‎ 32137

(386) 445-1004

We go there every time we go to Ormond Beach.

Someone on here has a buddy that runs a BBQ joint in Jacksonville.... I'll try to find that info.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, going to look into them. The Conch House makes me think they might have cracked conch, love that! Not sure how we'd cook in on the Egg, though.

I go up to Jax for business once in a while and like 4 Rivers BBQ. And on the way often stop at Daytona Pig Stand at I95 exit 273 at Ormond Beach, they're pretty decent, too.

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Supposed to be a place at world golf village exit with killer Colorado Green Chilli little place behind a service station. Supposedly very authentic. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Taking the hot wife and two young boys.

Don't know why but thats just funny to me. First thing that came to mind was "wonder where he takes the ugly one?"

Little Rock, AR

• SteveWPBFL
    Options
    One wife is enough for me, and let's just say I'm the ugly one that married up. And a foodie at that. Now I'm wundering about that green chili beteez mentioned.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    edited August 2014
    Options

We've been to the south end of St. Augustine Beach (Crescent Beach) for 8 of the past 10 years as I have use of a house there.

There is some pretty good takeout BBQ at a shack at US1 and 206.

http://smokindbbq.com/

Saltwater Cowboys on the bay (swamp) side in St. Augustine Beach is one of our favorites (in addition to the Conch House that was already mentioned)

http://www.saltwatercowboys.com/default.aspx

We've been charter fishing with several operators there both inshore and offshore.  We've had our best luck on two trips with a father-son team of captains.  They go out of the Conch House Marina and the Conch House will cook your catch if you take it there.

http://www.knottieddowncharters.com/

The Alligator Farm is pretty cool if you like that sort of thing.  It functions more like a zoo than a tourist attraction.

http://www.alligatorfarm.com/

It's a reasonable place to learn to surf and the guys at the Surf Station do a good job with lessons for kids and adults.

http://surf-station.com/

That may be too much info, but we've done a lot of different stuff over the years. It's a great area.  We are looking to retire there one day.  Have a great time.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• COegger
    COegger Posts: 58
    Options
    We visited St. Augustine many times while our kids were growing up.  Their favorites by far were the Alligator Farm and Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum.  I think we went to both places every time we visited.  We always had to go to the "World Famous" Oasis at least once for a meal.  It's not the best food but it was close to my parent's condo and a fun atmosphere.  We liked Saltwater Cowboys, too.  The beach is great.  Renting bikes and riding on the beach was fun.  Enjoy your trip - it's a great city!
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @SteveWPBFL - found the BBQ Place in Jacksonville....

11635 N. Main St
    Jacksonville. FL 32218

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @SteveWPBFL‌ St Augustine A Little Drinking Town w/ A Small Fishing Problem B-)
    Vilano Beach is a great spot. We began frequenting this beach over 20 yrs ago. Lots of activities on St George St. Hope y'all have a blast. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    Garbage Can Pizza at Pizzally on St George St. Stewart's grocery on beach side of Bridge of Lions had decent local fish and shrimp last time we stayed at the marina. Saturday mornings have a flea market with live music near Anastasia park.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• SteveWPBFL
    Options
    WoW! Some really good input, thanks again to all. I'll see if we can't add a few of our own!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I did enjoy Ripley's museum too. It was pretty interesting. Of course there's rarely a museum that I don't like.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    beteez said:
    Supposed to be a place at world golf village exit with killer Colorado Green Chilli little place behind a service station. Supposedly very authentic. 

Could this be the place?

• SteveWPBFL
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I'm practically there! Will let you know by this time next week. Of course, first thoughts are, hmmm, Colorado Burrito Company + green chile = wunder what makes the chili green???

Nevermind. It appears they are closed.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Well we had a great trip, thanks for all of the 'clues', we probably tried them all. Stewarts Market was the only one that didn't pan out as they had little in the way of fresh fish that day but I did come out of there with some killer mango poppy salad dressing. Publix near the condo had fresh mahi for 21.99/lb, THAT was amazing but we managed to find some good fresh seafood at the Seafood Shoppe at decent prices. The fort, Pirates Museum, Ripley's, FoY, and the Old Jail were all worthy tourist attractions as was the trolley tour of the town. Saltwater Cowboy's had decent food and a great view as did The Conch House. We were really ready for Pizzally during our stroll down St. George St. and picked up some real BBQ at Smokin' D's' at US-1 and 206, pretty serious place. We got rained on at Volusia Speedway half way through the show but enjoyed the dirt track racing we saw. The beach is the thing, though. It kept our boys busy in the surf almost daily and as resident Flaridians we wait until late afternoon to go when it's not so hot. The only thing we did that wasn't on the 'forum list' was we drove over to the St. John's River and rented a pontoon boat for half day and rode around St. John's, a creek, and a lake, stopping for a cold one and a snack and everybody enjoyed all that well except for that 10 minute deluge that we rode out in the creek! St. Augustine is very different from Palm Beach County as far as beaching goes but the biggest difference is the people are far friendlier and way more polite than we're used to around the here, maybe due to being there 'off season' maybe just due to them being nicer! Go if you get the chance!