Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Berkshire Tenderloin from Farmers Market

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
Picked up a Berkshire tenderloin from the farmers market Thursday. It's on the egg at 350° raised direct as I'm writing. It's a lot fattier than the tenderloins I get from the store. Its smaller in diameter than most I've seen. Only about 1.5 lbs. here's some pics of top and bottom before putting it on the egg.
imageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. Bring it on home brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    Options
    I'll post finished pics later tonight. Turning about every 8 minutes. Might be done at next check.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    Standing bye.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Resting. Pulled from egg at 140° and wrapped in foil. IT climbed to 152°. Should be tasty. image<
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    Nice!! Enjoy my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    Options
    I'm not 100% sold on Berkshire. The color and taste is different than a regular pig. It was good and would make again, but will not become a regular staple though. I might pick up some chops or steaks from them next week to give Berkshire a fair try. That is if they are at the farmers market next week.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options
    We have enjoyed the Berkshire pork.  We've stuck to ribs, Iowa cut chops. and butts.  Agree it's not blow you away but I have found it's richer and fuller in flavor.  Try another cut before deciding if you like it.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @stemc33‌ It sure looks like $$$ from where I'm sitting. I would think the little bit of extra fat helped on the cook but, I could be mistaken. I like the ThermoPop man. Looks fantastic!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • eggteeth
    eggteeth Posts: 52
    Options
    To echo HawkeyeEgghead, I've done the shoulders and chops and found them to be be much better than other pork, especially the shoulder.  I get mine from Prairie Pride farms in Mankato, MN and they have been delightful.  They ship anywhere, but are a bit pricey.
  • stemc33
    Options
    I agree with you @HawkeyeEgghead‌ on the richer and fuller flavor, just not sure if it's for me. I'll definitely will try another cut before ruling it out. Thanks for the input.
    Thanks @NPHuskerFL‌ . The cook went as planned. The fat helped create some good crunchy bits(similar to bacon bits). Also, I'm sure it helped with the moistness in the loin, especially with the direct cook. Meat was moist from end to end.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    @stemc33‌
    Man it looks excellent. I really enjoy the Berkshire pork.

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Yum!! That looks amazing.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    What he said^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I love Berkshire. It tastes like what pork should taste like.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌
    I couldn't have said it any better myself my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Yeah, the jury is still out for me...I definitely will have to try some other cuts to see if Berkshire is for me. I let a guy at work try a slice and he thought it was pretty good. Described it as a richer taste.
    I feel the cook went well and doneness was right. Maybe some different seasoning would compliment it better. idk. I used BGE's Down and Dizzy seasoning. Seasoned minutes before going on the egg.
    @HawkeyeEgghead‌ , @eggteeth‌ , @SGH‌ , and @Eggcelsior‌ what are you guys using for seasoning on Berkshire?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That sliced pic of the Tenderloin is out of this world good looking..I have never had Berkshire pork before so I have no input but Dang it looks Awesome..Congrats on the cook and pics..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • stemc33
    Options
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options

My first few cooks all I used was salt and pepper to get the taste of the pork down.  I've since added rubs back in to the mix using Dizzy Dust and some of the Weber products on sale everywhere