Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving Egg to My New Table

I will want to take the top off and remove fire ring and firebox. Anything I need to be aware of on the disassembly? New bolts for the straps etc?

Comments

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Check for cracks while you have it apart.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    If you've got GOOD help and strong backs, just gut it.  Remove the ring and box, use the lower vent for a handle and hoist away.  Pot lifter off Amazon might help, but that seems like overkill to me - I used 2 football lineman from a local school to lift (with my supervision, of course) and fed them some ribs later..... Easy labor!

Had a buddy do the same thing, but he used braided paracord thru the lower vent and top vent as a lift and used an engine hoist.....  To each his own!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Can be done quite easily without removing the top with two men....just take out all the guts.  Getting that lid back on, and on at least close to decent, can be a chore.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Newsguy
    Newsguy Posts: 26
    I got the guys who came to install my granite top to lift mine into place after they got the top on the table. I just removed the guts. I guided the descent onto the materials I was resting it on. Taking off the lid seems unnecessary, but don't try to lift it using the spring or the handle on the bands. Seem to me like that would risk them somehow slipping off under the strain of all the weight.
  • thegooddocta
    thegooddocta Posts: 264
    I just wrapped nylon straps around my wrists and the egg and bear hugged it. It worked. ;] Hoo-rah - awkward 170lb squats.
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    As far as removing the lid, I have had excellent results on my XL by removing the four 5/16" bolts on the hinge.  I leave the band bolts alone.  The lid goes back into the same place it was before removal and no further fooling around with alignment.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    I have a pot lifter that works like a charm.  A friend of mine and I were able to take the egg from the nest on my deck to the front of the house along some pretty uneven ground with no trouble whatsoever.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited July 2014
    +1 what DaveRichardson said. Get a couple big fellas. I put an inverted bucket in the place where the egg was to sit in my SS table. First lift was to place on top of the inverted bucket. This served two purposes. First, safety. The cut out hole in the stainless table had fairly sharp edges and we didn't want anyone to lose a finger or hand in the event of a slip. Second was convenience to allow a rest and repositioning of grips for the lowering phase. The lower vent offers a handhold in addition to a place to run rope thru.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    +1 on the big guys. Sometimes it's hard to get help, but throw a couple steaks in the deal and you'll have more help than you need.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Sicilian said:
    I will want to take the top off and remove fire ring and firebox. Anything I need to be aware of on the disassembly? New bolts for the straps etc?
    Where are you located????  I've got friends all over that might be able to help with the relocation.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Sicilian
    Sicilian Posts: 23
    I've got help. Maybe cook something and have a few drinks after we move it. Just worried about keeping the Egg in one piece.
  • Sicilian
    edited August 2014
    So, removing the four 5/16" bolts on the hinge that connects to the band is the best way to remove the lid? I'm thinking I need to use the 2 plastic pieces that came with the Egg in the packing box with some plastic zip ties to keep the hinge from moving while removing the bolts?
  • bettysnephew
    edited August 2014
    @Sicilian
    Forgot to ask if yours is XL earlier, if not this likely doesn't apply as the hinge assembly is different.
    I just raise the lid on my XL so that the springs go slack in the mounts and wiggle the spring out.  That works on one side but not the other for some reason.  I loosen the spring mount on the uncooperative side just enough to remove that spring.  I then lower the lid, caution it will be heavier than normal, and take out the 4 - 5/16" pivot bolts and lift the lid from the Egg with the vent hole and the handle or mount brackets.  Reinstall in reverse order for very little if any readjustment.  Mine is old enough that they had not started including the plastic spacers, but they should not be needed if the bands are not loosened or moved.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Sicilian
    edited August 2014
    It's a large and it's only a year old. Looks as if placing those plastic spacers and removing those hinge bolts is the way to go and leaving the strap bolts in place as you suggested.
  • hmmmm, i just had to take my top off and I zip tied the hinge in the closed position and then loosened the one bolt holding band around the lid ...lid came off and well there ya go, pretty simple 

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• tridogdude
    tridogdude Posts: 136
    Had to move LBGE from the nest to a new table I built. Took some climbing rope and made a basket around outside of egg. Welded a small picking eye up and lagged it to the overhang on the deck. Used a 1/4ton mini chain come-a-long and picked it right out. Rolled the new table over and set it right in. Clean and didn't have to take apart anything on the egg. Half hour later it was done.
    Didn't have to worry about hurting my back either.
  • bettysnephew
    @BigGreenGator
    Don't really know why, but many have had issues with gasket seal when they undid the the ring bolt.  It may have to do with concentricity of the top to bottom or they may have put it back together at a different depth in the ring.  Removing the hinge bolts precludes this but does require removing four bolts instead of one.  It's not too difficult and eliminates the potential problem if you are unsure of reseating properly.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • @bettysnephew‌ hmmm gotcha ya ... Guess I'll find that out Tuesday after my new casters come on .

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"