Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tortilla Soup

Options
tach18k
tach18k Posts: 1,607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
anybody have a real good tortilla soup?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    tach18k,
    I did it once and really liked it, but no idea where the recipe I followed is.[p]One thing I can tellya....when you make the broth, use chicken bones/carcass from a chicken or two that you cooked on the egg. A little hint of smoke in the soup is really, really nice in this instance.[p]Look foraward to seeing the recipes that folks post. Good tortilla soup might just be one of the top comfort foods![p]Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    tach18k,
    Spring Hen just made some from a package we found in the store. It was really good. I would have to put it up with the best we've had at restaurants. Sorry, I can't remember what the name was on the package. Got it at Kroger. Just add chicken.[p]Spring "Count'n The Hours 'til Santa Comes" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Rib-Rob
    Options
    tach18k,
    Try this. I've made it several times and it is boffo![p]TORTILLA SOUP
    4 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    1 bunch green onions, sliced
    Vegetable spray
    • 4 cups water
    • 32 oz. box chicken broth
    • 32 oz. box beef broth
    • 15 oz. can Mexican-recipe stewed tomatoes
    • 10 oz. can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies
    • 8 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
    • 8 oz. can creamed corn
    • Two 4 oz. cans chopped green chilies
    • 1 tsp ground cumin
    • ¼ tsp ground black pepper
    • Juice of 1 lime
    Tortilla chips
    Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, for garnish
    1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks, for garnish
    Lime slices, for garnish
    Sour cream, for garnish
    Cilantro, chopped, for garnish
    Cook chicken in a large pot of water until no longer pink. Remove, cool, and cut into bite-sized chunks. Cook onions in a pan sprayed with PAM until soft. In another (large) pot, combine cooked onion and next 11 ingredients. Add chicken and simmer 30–45 minutes. Put chips in bottom of a large soup bowl. Add soup, and garnish with cheese, avocado, lime, cilantro and dollop of sour cream, if desired.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Rib-Rob,
    That looks really good. I've already added it to my "must do" list. Thanks.[p]Spring "Hungry Little" Chicken

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Rib-Rob,
    I use a recipe very close to yours except I cook my chicken and onions in a veggie tray on the egg about 3/4 done. You may have forgotten to include your onions as an ingredient or are you saying that your onions are the green onions listed? Not being critical of your recipe, just being curious. As I read the recipe I could feel my mouth watering, thats some good soup !!!

• Rib-Rob
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    The onions were the green onions mentioned. Your method will give me something new to try. Thanks!

• SeanB
    SeanB Posts: 20
    Options
    tach18k,[p]I have a recipe from a Rick Bayless demo that I have made before that was really good, and I even cut a few corners. Like no epazote and store bought chips. I think this one is the same recipe. Thanks for the idea of trying it on the egg.
    [ul][li]http://www2.oprah.com/foodhome/food/recipes/food_20020917_tortillasoup.jhtml[/ul]
  • rex clingan
    Options
    I'm sure the recipe is around here somewhere, but here are some tips:[p]cut tortillas into strips, fry.
    grill all the stuff going into the soup, chicken breast, chilis, onion.
    thicken broth with some of the fried tortilla strips, mixed with a boatmotor.
    self serve like a taco bar, put what you want of each of grilled stuff and tortilla strips into your bowl, ladle thickened broth over it.
    squeeze lime juice on it and garnish with cilantro.[p]