Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Type of Foil Do You Use?

Options
I am looking to buy a large roll of heavy duty foil on Amazon from Durable Packaging Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil Roll, 18" Width x 500' Length for $36.99. Has anyone used this and is it any good. It's 2/3 the cost of Reynolds Wrap at $99.99 for the same stuff. This sounds like a good deal to me.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Costco, Homie!

Reynolds HD 18x500 for around 25 bucks. Otherwise, yes. Your's is a good deal if no Costco to be had.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sam's Club
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I am with @Eggcelsior I use Kirlkand from Costco.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Costco.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    edited July 2014
    Options
    henapple said:
    Sam's Club
    +1
    BTW @Ladeback69 the best thing I ever did with my heavy roll was to find a convenient spot in my garage where it would be safe plus easy to get at and stay put. If I had to dig it out to use it now THAT would be a PITA!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sams Club or Restaurant Depot
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lockdownx99
    Options
    I get mine from sams club. Super heavy duty.
    XL BGE in nest
    SM BGE in nest
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I found this on Sam's website. I think I will go with this when I pick up a brisket to cook. Thanks for the advice. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/bakers-chefs-heavy-duty-foodservice-foil-500-ft/196387.ip?navAction=

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited July 2014
    Options
    The only problem I have had with the stuff from Sam's club is that the spousal unit will grab it out of the drawer to wrap or cover just about anything going in the fridge even though there is a roll of standard weight right next to it.  Then when I truly need HDAF the roll is empty.  I helped this by relocating it to my grill equipment cabinet.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The only problem I have had with the stuff from Sam's club is that the spousal unit will grab it out of the drawer to wrap or cover just about anything going in the fridge even though there is a roll of standard weight right next to it.  Then when I truly need HDAF the roll is empty.  I helped this by relocating it to my grill equipment cabinet.
    I fix this by only having HDAF at home.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I would be doing the same thing if i get it.  My current HD foil is in a water proof tub by my Egg now along with paper towels.  I am slowly building up my grilling supplies.  Now my wife works for Grainger and bought me a box of XXL gloves for to use for food prep and cleaning.  Now my 5 year old son would love to play with that and I had to hide it from him.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Gimongous restaurant rolls I buy at Sam's

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited July 2014
    Options

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• henapple
    Options
    The question is...tin foil or aluminum foil? Saw someone post commenting on tin foil. Regional thing?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    henapple said:
    The question is...tin foil or aluminum foil? Saw someone post commenting on tin foil. Regional thing?
    I always use tin foil for my hats.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    We called it tin foil but I am from the midwest.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I've bought numerous double and quad reynolds packs from Costco. How I managed to always overlook the Kirkland food service roll is beyond me. Never again.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    Options
    @Cazzy. ..you liked the butcher paper roll, didn't you?
  • cazzy
    edited July 2014
    Options
    henapple said:

@Cazzy. ..you liked the butcher paper roll, didn't you?

I loved the dispenser! Where did you get it?
  • henapple
    Options
    Homemade baby...you know I'm poor. One guy said I have "a cute little home".
  • cazzy
    Options
    henapple said:
    Homemade baby...you know I'm poor. One guy said I have "a cute little home".
    HAHA.  That chit is still funny to me.  I thought your cute little home was pretty big.  I bet his house is freaking massive.
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    Options
    Speaking of butcher paper, @cazzy‌ or @henapple‌ , where you buy yours?
    Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Costco fan here. Keep one roll out by the eggs and one roll in the pantry. SWMBO doesn't seem to use much foil, and if she does, the HDAF roll is somewhat unwieldy vs. the standard weight foil.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    Options
    @Eggpharmer‌ ...Sam's Club. I use the paper when prepping to keep from cleaning everything. Works out great in the mancave.

@cazzy. ..my trailer is bigger than it looks.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Costco.

Question: What can we say about shiny side dull side when to use each and why?
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    Options
    Thanks @henapple‌ - I'm wanting some to wrap in while cooking my next brisket or short ribs
    Austin, TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Costco. Question: What can we say about shiny side dull side when to use each and why?

I can't (with any certainty) speak to use, but I know why there are two different sides.  Aluminum foil is so thin manufacturers cannot adjust their steel rollers to roll a single sheet out, so they double up sheets and run them through the final rollers as a pair.
    I'm guessing the shiny side is formed to the outside, against the steel rollers, but I've never found/read confirmation of that.  
    "Use" ideas:  I have no doubt the "shiny" side reflects radiation heat energy better, which may have a use on the grill itself.  Covering food to let it rest?  I don't think the food gives off any "radiation", only convection, and I doubt the foil surface makes a difference there, likewise conduction.  The foil will be watertight either way.  
    I don't worry about it anymore.   

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I stock up when they go on sale at Costco.

for small job ...
    for big job ...
    canuckland
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    The shiny kind. I never knew people put this much thought into foil. I just grab whatevers on sale at the whatever store I'm at when I need it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Here's what I use:
    It's available on Amazon, but I get it from a local restaurant supply store.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker