Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caveman Sunday

I took the plunge and did my first caveman cook today. Full menu was:

Corn brushed with oil and seasoned with Raging River
Mushrooms/onion/peppers brushed with oil and seasoned with pineapple head
Philly cheesesteak burgers for the wife and kids (made by the local butcher)
A choice ribeye for me seasoned with cow lick

Veggies turned out good but I need to get more seasoning to stick to the veggies on a stick next time. Burgers were good as always.

I will admit that the steak had me nervous. My neighbors were probably wondering why I was pacing back and forth in the driveway like an expectant father. This steak was a little thinner than some of the ones I've seen posted here so I have it a little over 2 minutes per side. Overall I was really happy with the results, but I might need some longer tongs for handling these babies.

Also, it seemed like the steak didn't really sit evenly on the coals. Any tips for prepping the fire for a cavemen cook? I will almost definitely try it again.
LBGE
Menasha, WI

Comments

• frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Everything looks great!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • Meatgravy
    Meatgravy Posts: 15
    Looks awesome!
    LBGE - Central Arkansas - Go Hogs!
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    A veritable feast.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Burgers for the wife and kids, steak for you? Well played!

Nice cook right there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    @dmw I thought so too!  That's what they requested, so far be it from me to argue with them.  More dollars in the steak / eggcessory budget for me!
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Nice! I loved the caveman! I'll definitely try again. I would think it to be key for a somewhat level red hot bed of lump for consistency purposes of the sear.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Good looking cook!
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Getting ready to do some caveman ribeyes right now, waiting for the potatoes to finish.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    edited July 2014
    For the life of me, I can't figure this Caveman cooking method out, especially when doing it on a grill like the Egg. Other than saying "look what I did", what are the advantages of doing this type of cook? Not trying to bust your balls, but who needs an Egg if you're going to throw quality meat directly on the coals? He11, build a fire on the ground and flop down your meat ... that's more like a Caveman if you ask me. Me, I think I'll stick with taking advantage of my Egg's CI grid and strive for that perfectly seared steak. Hope no one is offended by my post, I mean nothing by it. To each his own. Keep On Egging On!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Man all that looks fantastic. Nice job. I love grilled corn!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    No offense taken. I've wondered the the same thing and decided that if have to try it for myself to see what the hype was about. I'm a newbie to the caveman thing so there are probably other forum members that can better articulate its benefits, but here is my limited knowledge on the topic:

1. It provides an extremely fast and even sear, minimizing the ring of meat inside that gets over cooked during the searing process.
    2. It prevents flareups by removing the air gap between the steak and the coals.
    3. The lack of flare ups should improve the taste due to the lack of acrid smoke from burnt fat.
    4. It just feels sort of awesome to do.

Will I probably do steaks the usual way again? Probably. This is just one more tool in the arsenal as far as I'm concerned.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Well said. I didn't know a few of the reasons you gave. I think if I ever did a caveman cook it would be "because I can". :D
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited July 2014
    RE: 3. The lack of flare ups should improve the taste due to the lack of acrid smoke from burnt fat. 

Many 'how-to' bbq-grill write-ups state that this IS what brings great flavor to the cook. Andrew Perry Lang's book Serious Barbecue, for one, that it is an objective. I tend to agree if it's not overwhelming.

I'm curious about getting ash or lump on the food. That doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm under the impression that, if using lump it has less ash than briquettes, and that it burns downward in an inverted cone therefore the ash is generated below the surface of the lump. Therefore, one might want to try setting the lump up with an even uniformly distribution lump-size-wise that is relatively flat and lump dust free at the surface. Just guessing, though, and plan to try this myself soon.
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Thanks for explaining ... still don't think it's my cup of tea
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    I tried this method last night for the first time, and was also concerned about the ash/lump on the meat. Turned out not to be an issue.
    GWN