Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please help - Need to get better with my brisket

Hi,

I completed my first brisket today. I was hoping that I could get some feedback from many of you that know much more than I do on how it could be improved. The brisket was OK but a little overcooked and therefore somewhat tough. Here are some of the particulars:

I used a 5 lb fatcap brisket that the butcher told he trimmed for smoking. There are a thin (<1/4 inch) layer of fat on about 50% of the brisket.

I used Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust and rubbed it on the night before. 

I also soaked about 10 good sized chunks of pecan wood in water over night which I added once I got the lump ignited and set up.

I kept the grill temp at 245-250 90% of the time and it was always between 235 and 260. I used a thermowork probe on the grate to measure grate temp and another insertion probe to measure meat temp.

I used the plate setter for indirect heat. 

I used a spritzer every 2 hours with apple juice to keep it moist.

When it reached 165 degrees I wrapped it in foil.

I removed it from the grill at 200 degrees, sliced it and ate it.

I think the color was great and there was lots of juice, in the foil wrap. The meet had a good flavor but like I said it was a little well-done for me. 

I am looking for any/all feedback that will help me get better and any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Best,

Tom

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Sounds about right, but you don't need to spritz with an egg. I have never cooked a brisket that small. I like buying a full packer around 13 to 19 pounds and do my own trimming. I believe most the people on here do the Travis method where the brisket sits in liquid of some kind to keep it moist and tender. The brisket is tough to manage. I also use a meat tenderizer to help get the rub down inside it too. Did you add any juice when you foiled it?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    edited July 2014
    I could lose my forum privileges for posting the following but many will swear by the following cook procedure-especially for flats- 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it 

BTW- full disclosure, the originator has moved on with full packers and wins many brisket comps.  But for a flat...
    I have hosed up many flats so check it out and decide for yourself.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @TGM123‌
    Before the weekend is out I'm going to start a 22 pound brisket over water with a preliminary low smoke before the main cook. I will be glad to photograph it and PM you the steps that I take if you are interested. Just a note. The said brisket will not be cooked on the egg. That being said the cook may be of no interest to you. If it is let me know. Maybe other more astute egg users can offer more.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Can a brisket, or anything else for that matter, be anything BUT well done when you take it up to 190? You're brisky sounds pretty good to me.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    freddyj said:

Can a brisket, or anything else for that matter, be anything BUT well done when you take it up to 190? You're brisky sounds pretty good to me.

Nope! It isn't a fine cut so you basically overcook the crap out of it to make it happy!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    @TGM123‌ Did you FTC the brisket before slicing?
    NW IOWA
  • SGH
    @freddyj‌
    Brisket is one of the primals that is engorged with adipose and connective tissue. Not only externally but within the very muscle structure it's self. I'm certainly no expert but I have seen a considerable number of briskets that had to be taken in excess of 200 degrees internally to reach the appropriate feel or "doneness" if you will. Usually only the very highest grades of briskets will properly render in the 190 degree arena. The more common select and choice grade are usually much higher around 195 degrees and up. Look at the enclosed pic of a untrimmed pectoral muscle and you will get a better idea of the kind of connective tissue and adipose that I speak of. This is just my opinion but I'm willing to bet without even seeing his brisket that it was under cooked if anything. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but from my experience most briskets save for the higher grades have to be cooked to a higher finish temp to properly render and then relax. Also please note that the above is just my opinion and what I have observed. Others results may have varied to some degree.image

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TGM123
    TGM123 Posts: 4
    Thanks to all for some great advice!

"Did you FTC the brisket before slicing?" No, I just cut it and ate it.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    A brisket needs to be FTC'd
    NW IOWA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Philly35 said:

A brisket needs to be FTC'd

That's not completely true. You just need to let it relax for a bit. I've made numerous killer briskets and didn't FTC any of them. I usually let them chill on the cutting board wrapped in butcher paper for about an hour.

The only time I FTC is when I'm done ahead of schedule.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    @cazzy‌
    For once we agree 100%.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    The last several that I have done I have not wrapped at all. Only "tented" with paper while sitting on the board. Short of a disaster this one will not be wrapped either.

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Dang-no food fight!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bearBGE
    bearBGE Posts: 129
    I'm gonna follow this for sure I have a fear of brisket! It's expensive and I would hate to murder it!
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    You've heard the phrase "put a fork in it... It's done" that pretty much explains it. If it goes in like its warm butter it's probably done. Temp doesn't tell the whole story.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    At 200, it could have been undercooked.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    All the above condones sheep, pigs, duck, venison, chicken, shrimp, scallops, bacon, cheese, rabbit, raccoon;- I could go on but you get my slant. I'll pay American Airlines to fly me to Texas to eat real brisket. I've fooled with this enough to know I can cook some really good stuff on my egg. As Clint Eastwood said, "A man has to know his limitations!"

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields