Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - Adding wood; what, when, how.

Options
grin_phi
grin_phi Posts: 53
Cooking Pizza again tomorrow and have a question about adding wood. 

During my last cook (discussed here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1534331) I added some hickory wood chips once the egg stabilised at 600. Well, as I might have expected, the chips ignited instantly and I have a small inferno on my hands until they burned off. 

So my question is, to get a good, authentic taste - do you add wood? If so when? Chips or chunks? Anything else to bear in mind?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I add chips, right before the pie goes on.  I use a garden trowel to "aim" them between the bowl and the platesetter onto the coals.  Yes, they do burn up pretty darn quick, but the pie isn't in there for very much longer.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Oh, and wood: I've tried several and haven't really found a "favorite" yet.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    My wife don't like smoked taste for pizza. No wood.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    No need to smoke a pizza IMHO. The lump and oven affect suffices for me.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pizza should not have a smoky flavor. Even wood fired ovens don't impart much. No wood in the egg please. In fact, that's partly why I do mine in the oven now. Plus it's easier and tastes just as good. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grill66
    Grill66 Posts: 15
    Options
    I find the charcoal imparts enough taste for bread products that I don't need to add any wood.  However, when cooking at those temperatures you can just put the wood in the bottom through the draft door and push it in with the ash tool.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    A few other threads recently on different brands of lump bring to mind the use of Royal Oak as a favourite pizza lump in our house. It adds just a touch of wood fire taste. Maple Leaf seems to burn too clean and the pie is very neutral, almost oven cooked. 

Have never used smoke wood when egging pizza. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • grin_phi
    grin_phi Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks all - tried no wood and was very happy with the result.
  • thegreategg
    Options
    Funny, my wife said my pizza tasted smokey and didn't like it. So now I'm learning how to heat the coals past the smoke burn off to avoid it. Now that she mentions it...I would like it better without the smokeyness too. Save that for the burgers and steaks....and BBQ
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    At higher temps I find that even w/ wood chunks (not going crazy of course & so long as the creosote has cleared) you really don't get a slap in the face smokieness like that of a brisket or ribs. Try it w/out wood chunks if you prefer less. Lump is going to have a certain amount of flavor all on its own that you may prefer.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    I agree, no wood with a pizza cook.  there should be plenty of wood flavor with just some good lump charcoal...
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...