Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food Savor, What Size or Model Is The Best?

Comments

• morrobayrich
    morrobayrich Posts: 104
    We ahve an older model but it is like the 2244 and it works great.  We like it because it has a small footprint on the counter.  We store it in a cupboard until we need it.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    We ahve an older model but it is like the 2244 and it works great.  We like it because it has a small footprint on the counter.  We store it in a cupboard until we need it.

Would it do a whole pork butt? What's the biggest bag it can hold?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    For some reason I originally read the title of this post as "Food Savior".  It gave me visions of Buddy Christ (from Dogma) endorsing a line of vacuum sealers.  WWJSV?  (what would Jesus Sous Vide?)
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @Ladeback69 With the expandable rolls or bags, you can fit a whole butt. Any of the Foodsaver models will work with these:

I have the V3840 and like it. I also got the adapter to use the accessory hose to seal the refrigerator zipper bags.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    I too have an older model and have been please with the results for many years of use. My has the canister port which you can use to marinade foods. I think you should look at what features fit your needs and then compare units. 
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Mine's older than dirt and still works like a charm. It's a Foodsaver and must have been one of the first. If you're looking for something to hold a whole butt you might just buy some 2 gallon heavy duty zipper bags. They work well for brining or freezing if you get the air out.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Folks who have the gamesaver version seem to really like it. It goes on sale from time to time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @Ladeback69‌ . I think it would depend on if your just going to use it occasionally or plan on using it to vacuum seal lots of meat/game at one-time. I didn't actually look at the links you posted because I couldn't tell you which is best.

With that said, I would get the widest machine available to accommodate all bag widths. Just in case you plan on storing odd sizes.

My daughter has a Cabela's Commercial-Grade 15" Vacuum Sealer. I got to watch her and a friend vacuum pack fish side-by-side and she could almost put up twice as many as the girl with a food saver. Her friends food saver had to cool off occasionally. Both seemed to work fine, just that the commercial grade was faster.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I have the 4800 and so far so good got it at Sam's for 149.00
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    caliking said:
    Folks who have the gamesaver version seem to really like it. It goes on sale from time to time.
    I have one and it works well for my purposes.  Be sure to look at the package deals and not just the machine, As @caliking said, watch for the on line sales, I got quite a few accessories and bags with mine for $0.01 less than the machine alone.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    DMW said:

@Ladeback69 With the expandable rolls or bags, you can fit a whole butt. Any of the Foodsaver models will work with these:

I have the V3840 and like it. I also got the adapter to use the accessory hose to seal the refrigerator zipper bags.
    Amazon has this model on sale for $86. I think I may just have to get this one at that price. I don't marinade a lot, but I am fine using a zip lock bag for it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • egger911
    egger911 Posts: 39
    If you ever want to just use Zip-Lock type bags, a trick to get the air out is to just lower the bag into a bucket of water until the "zipper" is just above the water line. Then just zip it closed and wipe off the water. Works great.
    Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.) Moorpark, (Southern) California 93021