Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cracked Phone Screen

fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,236
I was enjoying my round of golf this past weekend, until my Samsung Galaxy S5 slipped from my hand no more than a few inches and landed on one of my irons - where I heard a nice little "pop" sound. Turned the phone over to find a lovely new accessory - a spider-ed phone screen!

Looking for reviews on places you've had your screen replaced at. I'm in the greater Atlanta area north of the perimeter. Would prefer somewhere local at a decent price.

Or, if you are handy and can help me fix it for cheaper - that would be fine too! 
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    @fence0407 Go to Radio Shack...they repair broken touch screens on all major phones.  Just heard a commercial for it this morning on my drive to work, and saw a poster at the Radio Shack while getting lunch!

and here is the Linky

D

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739

I would suggest trying it yourself. I have been in 2 of those shops in Atlanta and found them shady and elected not to use them. In the end I got a new iphone as I was due an upgrade. Here is a youtube video with a screen part link in the description, does not look to hard. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_rMo-AdKE

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I've done the repair it yourself thing. Nope. I've used these guys here in Jax FL and they were reasonable. They have other locations available.
    http://www.ubreakifix.com/store-locator/
    And then...I got an OtterBox
    B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fence0407
    Thanks guys! Think I'll try Radio Shack first and see what they say. 

@NPHuskerFL - I've heard of those guys so they'll be 2nd on my list. I've never broken a phone that I've owned and normally buy the extra coverage - didn't buy the extra coverage on this phone and managed to crack the screen a couple months after buying it!
    Cumming, GA  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I priced out fixing the screen on my S3 and it was a wash on getting it done by a local place after factoring all the stuff I'd have to buy. Plus, the place I used guarantees the work they do. I'd expect a place like Rs to as well.
  • fence0407
    I priced out fixing the screen on my S3 and it was a wash on getting it done by a local place after factoring all the stuff I'd have to buy. Plus, the place I used guarantees the work they do. I'd expect a place like Rs to as well.
    Thanks - that's sort of what I figured. Plus I'm not sure I'd trust myself fixing it!
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Let me ask the important question. What did you shoot?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fence0407
    edited July 2014
    81 - one of my best rounds so I wasn't too pissed off X(
    Cumming, GA  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If a piece of glass fell off, I'd say it's a hole-in-one. 
  • fence0407
    Just an FYI for those interested...I called a few local Radio Shacks in the north Atlanta metro area and the majority of them say they are still 3-5 weeks away from fixing phones. Must be a new program they are rolling out.
    Cumming, GA  

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2014
    Let us know what you find, my son broke his during school but I haven't fixed it to teach him a lesson as I bought him an $80 life proof case that he wouldn't use.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    JRWhitee said:

Let us know what you find, my son broke his during school but I haven't fixed it to teach him a lesson as I bought him an $80 life proof case that he wouldn't use.

Our Son did this many years ago too. Went phoneless for a bit. Now his phone never comes outta the OtterBox.
    :-? Hmmm Father does sometimes know best :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2014
    I replaced my Galaxy S5 screen myself.   I'll elaborate later, in the car.
    You can do it Yourself. Amazon I think has 3 screens for 15 bucks. If it's the first time doing it, it requires heat and time.

I don't own one personally but my buddy is always breaking his and I get to witness the madness

He still tells me iphone sucks and I've had mine longer than his and he is on his 4th screen and I'm still chugging along with the same screen.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Wife dropped iPad two years ago, cracked glass and not looked back. Seems to work just fine cracked....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    So my geek holster got old and loose and my Galaxy S5 started falling out frequently.  Eventually I cracked the screen.

I found out the outer glass is different from the inner display, commonly caused the digitizer or something.  I bought the outer Gorilla glass for about $15 with tools.  I didn't do my research and, while using a heat gun to melt the adhesive, broke the digitizer taking off the outer glass.  I find out this is a delicate operation - a high percentage of attempts break the display. 

Anyway, I see the factory OEM display is around $200.  I find a used but "in new condition" digitizer with the graphics card and outer glass for $120 on Amazon.  I bought that and fixed my phone in about 30 minutes.  As good as new.  Total repair cost, $135.

Bought a new holster, and the pop-out problem is fixed, phone is almost a year and a half old now.  Will probably get the Samsung Note when I'm eligible.  

I don't waste my money on the insurance.  Never had and this was (knock on smoke wood) my first broken phone.  My buddy broke his iPhone 5s and he had been paying $10/month on insurance.  After another $160 core charge, he got a fixed phone. 
    I win.
    @ everybody I feel the phone ins is a great idea in "theory". But, my analytical wife and I figure to replace a broken or damaged phone under an insurance claim after paying for insurance for say 1yr is gonna be roughly $170 or more. If at 2 yrs even more because of monthly premiums etc. We never get insurance on our phones. OtterBox yes.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    The insurance is a complete rip off.  The core charge is as much or more to get the phone fixed a a local shop.

Consumer reports and other consumer advocate groups have declared every service contract or extension except one that I forget, is yet another way to milk you of scheckels.

I turn all those extended warranty deals down.  Take the money you save and buy some tools or read books.
    @nolaegghead - what is this "book" thing to which you refer?
    Santa Paula, CA
  • fence0407
    edited July 2014
    Mickey said:
    Wife dropped iPad two years ago, cracked glass and not looked back. Seems to work just fine cracked....
    I don't actually mind the crack in the screen, but I'm on the "Verizon Edge" program and I'm not able to return the phone to upgrade if the screen is cracked.

@nolaegghead - I thought about trying to replace it myself, but for only a few more dollars I can get a "pro" to do it and have a small warranty on their work. Plus, I'm not too handy. 

@tksmoke - "Book, noun - A written or printed work consisting of pages glued or sewn together along one side and bound in covers."
    Cumming, GA  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Agreed. Buying insurance on consumer electronics isn't worth it. The useful life of many items is not that long, so you may as well save the cash to spend on upgrading later.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Phones aren't allowed in our groups when we play.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• fence0407
    Phones aren't allowed in our groups when we play.
    I have the "Sky Droid" app that I use for tracking distances and keeping score. If I didn't spend so much damn money on eggccessories, I might could afford a good range finder :((
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    I wish I could shoot an 81! It is so frustrating, but I love it. 

• fence0407
    I wish I could shoot an 81! It is so frustrating, but I love it. 
    I'm normally in the mid to upper 80's, but the course I played the other day was very easy. I also agree with you - frustrating but I love it!
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    @fence0407 I played at St. Ives in Johns Creek once. Have you ever played there?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i think my samsung flip phone was 20 bucks off ebay......
    :)) if the glass breaks its back to ebay
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fence0407
    @fence0407 I played at St. Ives in Johns Creek once. Have you ever played there?
    Never played St. Ives but I know where it is. I played St. Marlo once before and it was amazing. Most of the courses I play are in the $30-$50 price range, depending on deals I can find online.
    Cumming, GA