Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE cookbook

victor1
victor1 Posts: 225
I'm new and assume this has probably been covered, but not sure where.  What is the general opinion of the BGE cookbook?  The price is reasonable, just curious if it is something helpful to someone like me just getting into this.  Also, is there supposed to be a DVD included with the egg?   Thanks in advance for your help. 

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Welcome! I received the bge cookbook as a gift. It's got some decent stuff in it, not worth that price though. You'll find much more valuable info searching the forum and google.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I have it, I got it used for $20, I'd pass even for $20.
  • morrobayrich
    morrobayrich Posts: 104
    Gave mine away; a shameful waste of paper pulp.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Charcuterie or serious bbq from Adam perry lang much better
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I agree with the opinions on the BGE Cookbook. I got the kindle version and I'm glad it's not taking up space on my bookshelf. It's just a collection of recipes, it really doesn't teach you anything.

If you are just getting started and want a combo recipe/training type book, check this out from forum member @nibblemethis.

It's excellent and consolidates much of the information you find being used here on the forum.

Also, check out this website for lots of good recipes and information as well:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I've got one laying around somewhere. Collecting dust. I'd pass on it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    It's a doorstop.
    Better info on here.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2014
    IMO not worth $5. The only reason I still have mine is it's a signed copy. As Hap said, so much and better info on the two forums.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776

I agree with the general sentiment on the BGE cookbook.  Very little value there.  Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang is great for technique and recipes.  And searching this forum and the above listed sites will be far more valuable.

That is my opinion - I frequently run into people who like it.  Maybe they don't hang out here. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Mickey said:
    IMO not worth $5. The only reason I still have mine is it's a signed copy. As Hap said, so much and better info on the two forums.
    cough cough me too and I paid $50 cough cough
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited July 2014

To answer the OPs 2nd question about the DVD, they phased that out (but it is probably still mentioned in your paperwork).  I think you can find all of the videos that were on the DVD and more on the BigGreenEgg.com site (under the Egg-TV and Getting Started areas).

Here's an example link: http://www.biggreenegg.com/getting-started/ 

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    +1 on @DMW's suggestion for the Kamado cookbook. My parents have that and love it. They have said it is MUCH bettter than the BGE one.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I paid a lot for mine when I got my Egg. It was the last one the dealer had in stock. 

I was happy to get it, but I never used it. Like a lot of others here it is somewhere collecting dust. I looked at it a few times, but you will do better by using this forum. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I have one. The recipes look good but are all really complex. They call for so many ingredients and half of them I can't get my hand on.
    NW IOWA
  • Am new to the Big Green Egg and did purchase the BGE cookbook from Amazon--they have a better price  It's a matter of what you are looking for in the recipes.  The BGE isn't a barbecue cookbook, it contains a variety of cooking styles and gastronomical palates.  Some recipes use simple fresh foods, others require preparation and deliberate shopping for specific ingredients.  It's a matter of personal choice. Some of the recipes are regionally based so they may requires items that aren't readily available where you live.  Does it make the book any less useful?  No.  however, should I decide to try them, the recipes are there.  Ingredients can be specially ordered or found in larger supermarkets. Posters are correct--there are a lot of recipes on the forum and the web.  However, there is something to be said about having a compilation of recipe ideas all in one place and without having to have access to the Internet via technology.  I'm old school--books are windows to the world and cookbooks are windows to new ideas for good food.  
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • Mickey
    RRP said:
    Mickey said:
    cough cough me too and I paid $50 cough cough

Not worth $5.00 as well. I paid the $50.00 also
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited July 2014
    I posted this review on the old forum in Feb 2010 and still feel the same about it...... Only my opinion of the new cookbook. First I think it is outstanding tool for people who own eggs and NOT involved in this forum (I am sure this is the vast majority of egg owners). The first time I opened the book it was to a recipe calling to soak the chips before putting on coals (I may be in the minority here, but I am in the do not soak camp). I noticed that this is in all references to wood in the book that I could find. For some reason it put me off a little. The next page before reading and just flipping I came to cornbread (2 parts flour to 1 part cornmeal) just hard to understand after 60+ years of Southern Cornbread. The photography overall was good, but not better than lots and lots on the forum. Guys I understand that a few forum members are pro’s but we still have great photography on the forum. The book is 320 pages with only 30 pages (22 recipes) to egghead recipes and those NO CREDIT to cooks. And not what you read on the forum (little changes) I had the same opinion to the chapter of Rubs (not up to forum). Noticed that they put the pizza stone directly on platesetter (not air between) any time using both. No pulled pork? (that I found) For me, I can find (and have stored) many more and better (I said for me) recipes off the forum. I am let down with the book, (for me) was expecting the FORUM IN PRINT (I guess). If this was in a book store and I could sit and read it for 10 minutes before buying, I would pass. For me the forum is so much richer in information. Mickey

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I have the book, not even sure where it is. I like this forum more, also use nibblemethis.com, necessaryindulgences.com, amazingribs.com
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Went whole hog when buying egg. The four recipes I've tried from the book have been complicated but different. All were good. Is it worth the money? Probably not.
    I was asked a couple of weeks ago, "What can you do on the egg, I can't do on my Weber for less money?" I've thrown away more money on things less useful in my life.
    Bob

Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Not worth it.  Echoing everyone else here, recipes are overly complex.  Everything I've ever researched here has worked flawlessly.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA